Weak Momo's at UoAlabama

Don’t get my wrong, there are some huge dudes that lift at the rec center. but yesterday i saw two guys at the bench press, one of them spotting the guy lifting THE BAR.

THE BAR. as a college student. the guy probably can’t even do a single pushup.

it just boggles my mind that some guys can go an entire 20 or so years before wondering if they should try getting a little stronger.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
don’t get my wrong, there are some huge dudes that lift at the rec center. but yesterday i saw two guys at the bench press, one of them spotting the guy lifting THE BAR.

THE BAR. as a college student. the guy probably can’t even do a single pushup.

it just boggles my mind that some guys can go an entire 20 or so years before wondering if they should try getting a little stronger.[/quote]

So everyone should strive to be strong as fuck? That’s ignorant. Plus, if everyone was big and lean it wouldn’t be awesome.

Wonderful first post.

Hopefully its your last.

OP-

You decided to finally register to say that?

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:

So everyone should strive to be strong as fuck? That’s ignorant. Plus, if everyone was big and lean it wouldn’t be awesome.
[/quote]

Everyone should strive to progress.

I HIGHLY DOUBT that guy was “striving” to lift only the bar. I have a sneaking suspicion it was one of his first times training. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Actually, that guy was me.

WHOOPS. YOU CAUGHT ME.

DUN WANNA GIT TOO BIG IT ALL JUZ TURNZ TO FATS NEWAYZ

I agree with the OP that I don’t know how someone can’t keep at least a minimum level of fitness, but it does make my bench press more impressive when I’m pushing 9 times what a 20 year old college kid is.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion it was one of his first times training. [/quote]

Thanks for your insight Nancy Drew :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
NewDamage wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion it was one of his first times training.

Thanks for your insight Nancy Drew :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

Actually I was…Goddamnit nevermind!!! .{0

fuck I suck at those emot-icons

OP: I work out at the UAB gym and I see lots of different kinds of lifters all of whom probably don’t care what you think.

I’m not saying everyone needs to walk around looking like the next met-rx strongman. but sheesh, needing help lifting the bar?

you should at least be able to carry your gf/wife/daughter out of a burning building, or scoop up a toddler that fell in a street cross walk. or a host of other things you supposedly ‘t-men’ should be able to perform.

not all of us need to achive PhD’s. but godammmit, we all should be able to read and write.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
OP: I work out at the UAB gym and I see lots of different kinds of lifters all of whom probably don’t care what you think.

[/quote]

i don’t care if they don’t care what i think. i’m not walking around the gym being a strength-level nazi. it just blows my mind that some guys go their entire lives up until college age and have ZERO base for any sort of physical activity.

I’m not saying everyone needs to walk around looking like the next met-rx strongman. but sheesh, needing help lifting the bar?

you should at least be able to carry your gf/wife/daughter out of a burning building, or scoop up a toddler that fell in a street cross walk. or a host of other things you supposedly ‘t-men’ should be able to perform.

not all of us need to achive PhD’s. but godammmit, we all should be able to read and write.[/quote]

You never know what sort of situation someone is in.
What if he recently injured himself and he is trying to rehab? Starting slow…

It could be anything… but whatever the reason is… WHO CARES.

You invest your time in things that don’t matter.

JoeGood wrote:

i don’t care if they don’t care what i think. i’m not walking around the gym being a strength-level nazi. it just blows my mind that some guys go their entire lives up until college age and have ZERO base for any sort of physical activity. [/quote]

It is odd that someone can grow up and have no strength.

But people come in all shapes and sizes, and its pretty fucking awesome to see someone weak as shit decide to come into the gym and do something about it.

Ridiculing them is a surefire way to make them give up this endeavor, and make no progress, in addition to furthering the stigma of the inconsiderate meathead.

Edit: I’m not accusing you of ridiculing them,to their face. But its odd that you would get so riled up about it as to register and post about it.

agreed, i said nothing to their faces. infact, i remember starting out and trying 135lbs and having it crash on my chest.

but a healthy adult male not even having the necessary strength to lift a bar without assistance? what does that say about our gene pool? about our lifestyle? about not even having the strength to hold yourself up in the missionary position long enough to get more than 5-6 good pumps in?

I also go to bama. If you were interested in seeing strong people, you wouldn’t be lifting at the rec.

agreed, i said nothing to their faces. infact, i remember starting out and trying 135lbs and having it crash on my chest.

but a healthy adult male not even having the necessary strength to lift a bar without assistance? what does that say about our gene pool? about our lifestyle? about not even having the strength to hold yourself up in the missionary position long enough to get more than 5-6 good pumps in?[/quote]

8 posts now…damnit!

but a healthy adult male not even having the necessary strength to lift a bar without assistance? what does that say about our gene pool? about our lifestyle? about not even having the strength to hold yourself up in the missionary position long enough to get more than 5-6 good pumps in?[/quote]

I seriously doubt you’d have felt very good if after having 135 crash on your chest some Gomer got on the T-Nation Forums and said “I saw this pathetic guy drop 135 on his chest.”

Any chance he could be coming back from a debilitating injury or illness after which he’s lucky to be alive?

You don’t know his particular situation? Then shut your man-pleaser until you do.

The guy’s in the gym trying to improve. I’m willing to bet he’ll do pretty well. Most of us start around the same place. It’s where we end up that counts.

no, he’s not coming back from a debilitating injury or illness. he spent the rest of the time bouncing up and down how about ‘effing hot’ the weightroom staff is

he’s simply weak as hell. and it blows me away that some guys are college age and can’t even press the bar off their chest.

i’m willing to bet we won’t do well. even the majority of people on T-Nation (at least 50%) are not doing ‘well’. they’re still sitting here at 125lbs holding a shoe and asking what bf% they are.

i just can’t see how someone can go that long and feel adequate in day to day activities.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Kataklysm wrote:
NewDamage wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion it was one of his first times training.

Thanks for your insight Nancy Drew :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually I was…Goddamnit nevermind!!! .{0

fuck I suck at those emot-icons[/quote]

Yeah, what the fuck is that?