Weak Glutes and Deadlift?

Hi guys. I’ve been a long time lurker and just recently decided to get serious about powerlifting so I joined up. Thought it would be good to be able to get advice from like minded people.

I hope I am posting this in the right section.

I started taping my deadlifts to work on form and feel like I raise my ass way too quick. Here is me doing 405x2. I pulled the first one conventional and I felt my form was sloppy so I attempted the second one sumo. In the video, it looks like I raise my ass to fast for both. Would love a form critique. Thank you.

Yeah, when the weight gets heavy enough where your pulls are slow, you just need to actively think about bringing your hips forward.

im a believer that when someone is pulling like that their glutes, hamstrings, and quads are not strong enough.

and get a better belt. one that is much thicker in the front.

[quote]Field wrote:
Yeah, when the weight gets heavy enough where your pulls are slow, you just need to actively think about bringing your hips forward.[/quote]

Will try that. thank you.

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:
im a believer that when someone is pulling like that their glutes, hamstrings, and quads are not strong enough.

and get a better belt. one that is much thicker in the front. [/quote]

so you’re thinking its a weak legs issue. I’m going to agree with that. I’ll have to start really working on strengthening up my legs. I’ll also look in to getting a better belt. Thank you.

[quote]Jon89 wrote:
so you’re thinking its a weak legs issue.[/quote]

yep. i get it from here:

You’ve got all kinds of stuff going on here. Personally, I think it is impossible to tell where you are lagging with your current technique.

You have got to focus on your set-up. Hips down, mid back tight, and get the slack out. Your pull looks like a sick cat taking a shit because you are getting caught in the slack in the bar. This makes it impossible to pull with any kind of consistancy. Every pull will be different if you rush your set up.

pull slack out of bar, and lean back.

helped me alot.

Ok its back to the drawing board with the deadlift.I’ll work on my form and really focus on setting up and getting rid of slack. Thanks a lot. Is it ok to post videos in a month or so to update this thread or should I just start a new thread?

Thanks guys.

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

and get a better belt. one that is much thicker in the front. [/quote]

I have to agree, because if you lower the weight you’ll get the hips down lower utilizing the legs more. I would do RDL’s and front squats. Do you have access to a GHR? Either that or work with higher reps in the deadlift using flawless technique.