Weak Bicep Contraction

[quote]SirTroyRobert wrote:

[quote]Bradley Joe Kelly wrote:

Mind muscle connection is important for any exercise. I’ve spent a lot of time helping people bring up lagging body parts and 90 % of the time the key is getting it into a maximally shortened position as a warmup or first exercise. A maximally shortened position is what makes leg extensions cramp your quads so well because the quad performs both knee extension and hip flexion.

What is a maximally shortened position for thebicep? Try this simple test and you should see fir yourself.

1. Put your right hand behind your head like your trying to scratch it.

2. Now contract your bicep back there , behind your head. You should feel a much tighter feeling and great activation of the bicep. Give it a few trys, it has worked 100% of the time with dozens of bicep lagging people.

Do a warmup or few working sets of these (with a cable )first every arm workout and your mind muscle connection should improve dramatically.

[/quote]
My biceps lag horribly , they are by far my worst muscle group. They are strong, but they’re small. When I tried this, my bicep cramped. Is this normal? It happened on both sides.
[/quote]

Very normal, that’s exactly what you wanted. Warm up your biceps by getting that squeeze every workout for a while and you should develop a great connection with the bicep itself.

And they are small but strong because of a lack of tension being placed during on them for a acceptable time under tension.

If you develop a solid mind muscle connection , place tension directly on them with tips I gave and train in a optimal time under tension (say 30 to 60 seconds) there is absolutely no reason they will not grow, it’ll be their only option.

Using that methodology for triceps and biceps is what took my arms from 14 to 19 inches.

I could go over exercise choice for them if you wanted. [/quote]
Hate to hijack someones thread with my problems, but if I’m understanding right, before I work my biceps I should go the behind the head contraction. About how many times would you think is sufficient?
[/quote]

Yep, movements that place the muscle in its maximally shortened position are ideal for creating a mind muscle connection and perfect to be used as warm-up or the first exercise. Just hit it a few squeezes to get in touch with the bicep directly then start training, you can also squeeze it a few times between sets, that also benefits the pump.

While I am here again with free time I will go over exercise choice for biceps…

You should include one exercise that stresses the shortened position such as overhead cable curls or even bent over concentration curls work well.

One exercise that stresses the lengthened position such as incline curls .

And one exercise that stresses the mid position such as standard BB curls.

Brad Schoenfield’s research has also indicated that exercises that stress the shortened position are best for creating a pump and exercises that stress the lengthened position are best for muscular damage. While we are strongest in the mid range. Hitting all 3 ranges of motion over a workout or work week will ensure you work the bicep to its full potential.

P.S I attached a picture of undefeated bodybuilding legend John Gimek training his biceps in a shortened position with a cable. You can do them that way as well instead of having to do them behind your head( which is better if you have no resistance) just allow your elbow to rise slightly as you squeeze.

Edit: To be clear if you are using no weight do them behind your head , its better. If you are using a cable do them wither behind your head or like Grimek displays, either way works.

Hope that helps guys.

Mind muscle connection is important for any exercise. I’ve spent a lot of time helping people bring up lagging body parts and 90 % of the time the key is getting it into a maximally shortened position as a warmup or first exercise. A maximally shortened position is what makes leg extensions cramp your quads so well because the quad performs both knee extension and hip flexion.

What is a maximally shortened position for thebicep? Try this simple test and you should see fir yourself.

2. Now contract your bicep back there , behind your head. You should feel a much tighter feeling and great activation of the bicep. Give it a few trys, it has worked 100% of the time with dozens of bicep lagging people.

Do a warmup or few working sets of these (with a cable )first every arm workout and your mind muscle connection should improve dramatically.

[/quote]
My biceps lag horribly , they are by far my worst muscle group. They are strong, but they’re small. When I tried this, my bicep cramped. Is this normal? It happened on both sides.
[/quote]

Very normal, that’s exactly what you wanted. Warm up your biceps by getting that squeeze every workout for a while and you should develop a great connection with the bicep itself.

And they are small but strong because of a lack of tension being placed during on them for a acceptable time under tension.

If you develop a solid mind muscle connection , place tension directly on them with tips I gave and train in a optimal time under tension (say 30 to 60 seconds) there is absolutely no reason they will not grow, it’ll be their only option.

Using that methodology for triceps and biceps is what took my arms from 14 to 19 inches.

Hate to hijack someones thread with my problems, but if I’m understanding right, before I work my biceps I should go the behind the head contraction. About how many times would you think is sufficient?
[/quote]

Yep, movements that place the muscle in its maximally shortened position are ideal for creating a mind muscle connection and perfect to be used as warm-up or the first exercise. Just hit it a few squeezes to get in touch with the bicep directly then start training, you can also squeeze it a few times between sets, that also benefits the pump.

You should include one exercise that stresses the shortened position such as overhead cable curls or even bent over concentration curls work well.

Brad Schoenfield’s research has also indicated that exercises that stress the shortened position are best for creating a pump and exercises that stress the lengthened position are best for muscular damage. While we are strongest in the mid range. Hitting all 3 ranges of motion over a workout or work week will ensure you work the bicep to its full potential.

P.S I attached a picture of undefeated bodybuilding legend John Gimek training his biceps in a shortened position with a cable. You can do them that way as well instead of having to do them behind your head( which is better if you have no resistance) just allow your elbow to rise slightly as you squeeze.

Hope that helps guys.

[/quote]

I’m going to try this. This post was golden, thank you.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Nowhere? Let’s not forget Brad’s had a couple of solid articles up on the site the last year or two. Including the Nubret Pump Program that a bunch of people loved. I’m really glad to see him on the forums now. Good stuff.[/quote]

Thanks Chris, I have always been timid about coming here because I felt under experienced compared to veterans , but since studying day and night and working with people elsewhere I decided to try it and it seems I have helped a few people thus far . I will stay as long as I can help.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hope that helps guys.

[/quote]

I’m going to try this. This post was golden, thank you.[/quote]

Anytime man, Goodluck!

Echoes what many have said in here already, but seriously watch any of B-Pak’s videos on training if you feel you have a shitty MMC and his shit usually will straighten you out.

My biceps are a ‘stronger’ point for me, and I get excruciating pumps in them easily, but it wasn’t always like that. Advice that helped me was:

• The loose/broken wrist technique ppl talked about. Julien Geof (Zraw off of here) told me to do that and it’s been great at removing my forearms from the movements. Also keeps you from trying to incline curls the 60’s or something, and makes you focus on form
  • When doing hammer curls rope curls (neutral grip), squeeze with the pinky HARD. I mean squeeze with the whole hand obviously, but really focus on the pinky. Ppl forget about the pinky lol
  • When doing just a straight bar/EZ Curl, curl up to your nose or forehead, not just your chin. There is probably some science as to why that works, but I think it may have to do with the biceps having some role in raising the arms a bit? Idk, it helps is all I know

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

Echoes what many have said in here already, but seriously watch any of B-Pak’s videos on training if you feel you have a shitty MMC and his shit usually will straighten you out.

My biceps are a ‘stronger’ point for me, and I get excruciating pumps in them easily, but it wasn’t always like that. Advice that helped me was:

• The loose/broken wrist technique ppl talked about. Julien Geof (Zraw off of here) told me to do that and it’s been great at removing my forearms from the movements. Also keeps you from trying to incline curls the 60’s or something, and makes you focus on form
  • When doing hammer curls rope curls (neutral grip), squeeze with the pinky HARD. I mean squeeze with the whole hand obviously, but really focus on the pinky. Ppl forget about the pinky lol
  • When doing just a straight bar/EZ Curl, curl up to your nose or forehead, not just your chin. There is probably some science as to why that works, but I think it may have to do with the biceps having some role in raising the arms a bit? Idk, it helps is all I know [/quote]

Excellent post. Ben is definitely a excellent source of information .

I’ve seen all of his seminars and he helped me on my education path and a few questions here and there. One of the nicest guys in the business.

Curling to the forehead is one of Dave Drapers favorites, Leroy Colbert also practiced a similar method with his scoop curls.

It works because lile you said the bicep is also responsible for shoulder flexion so a little controlled shoulder flexion can get you a shorter bicep and thus greater squeeze.

And excellent point on the pinky, with the bicep being so pivotal in forearm supination, which as you probably know is raising the pinky side of the hand (opposite to pronation which is rotating so your palm is downwards)

I should get a shirt made with a big bicep on it that says “Never forget the pinky”

[/quote]

Do you apply this three-position concept for all body parts and if so is there a resource that lists exercises for each of the three positions for each body part?

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[/quote]

Do you apply this three-position concept for all body parts and if so is there a resource that lists exercises for each of the three positions for each body part? [/quote]

No not all bodyparts, things like calves ,forearms,and traps do not have enough range of motion for a benefit.

You can apply it for biceps , triceps , shoulders , back and chest.

I have covered triceps and calves in my 2 year transformation thread and planned to do the others when I got time.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[/quote]

Do you apply this three-position concept for all body parts and if so is there a resource that lists exercises for each of the three positions for each body part? [/quote]

No not all bodyparts, things like calves ,forearms,and traps do not have enough range of motion for a benefit.

You can apply it for biceps , triceps , shoulders , back and chest.

I have covered triceps and calves in my 2 year transformation thread and planned to do the others when I got time.[/quote]

OK, I’ll keep tabs on that thread. Thanks.

fat gripz and fat gripz extreme. Also focus on using just the biceps on backday for a couple of workouts.

Man, thanks all for the advices.

Got to say, that squeeze pinky with the twist really does make a difference. And does the contraction behind the head. Limp wrist helps a bit too.

Still difficult to “make a muscle” especially with my left but will see how these new tricks may help over the next 6-8 months.