Weak Become Heroes

I’m 22 years old. 6’0 170 pounds. I’m currently doing a hybrid crossfit/bodybuilding program. I usually do the Crossfit Workout of the Day supplemented with heavy compound lifts afterwards. No matter what, I try to get one good bench press/deadlift/squat session per week. My current one rep maxes are:

Bench-185
Deadlift-275
Squat-225

I’ve been training for about a year, and have recently hit a plateau, but I’m trying to power through it. My diet is pretty consistent day-to-day. Here is an average day:

Breakfast:
3/4 cup Oatmeal with Protein Powder
3 Whole Eggs
2 Turkey Sausage Links
1 cup Blueberries
3 Fish Oil Capsules
1 Multivitamin

Lunch:
One Chicken Breast (8-12 oz)
2 Cup Green Salad (w/olive oil dressing)
1 Avocado
3 Fish Oil Capsules

Post-Workout Shake:
1 Scoop Protein Powder
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
1 Banana
1 Scoop Creatine

Dinner:
8-12 oz Beef
1-2 Sauted Green Pepper
1 Onion
2 Broccoli Crowns
3 Fish Oil Capsules

Nighttime:
Berries and Green Vegetables
Workout Shake (same as post workout)

I try to drink about 120 oz of water a day. I also have copious amounts of coffee before my workout.

Honestly, I love training, but it can be a little frustrating when you’re not seeing the results that you want. My goal for the past month has been to achieve some really impressive leanness. I never quite got there, but I’m going to start gaining weight again, with my sights set on 185 pounds.

I’m starting to ramble, so I’ll stop for now. I’m going to start a log over in the “Training Logs” section soon, so feel free to check in over there to track my progress.

Back

keep up the hard work.

More Back

Side Chest

Legs (and an extremely dirty floor)

If you’ve hit a plateau try changing up the workout.

1. Eat more and more frequent. Eat stuff that contains calories.

2. Do your heavy compounds BEFORE the Crossfit WoD. Not afterwards.

Why would you want to get more lean than that? You are primed to add some good muscle that you will appreciate the rest of your life.

clean your room kid!!!

I would say your doing good but you do look tiny.

eat and lift like a man

and clean that darn room!

Thanks for the comments guys, I’m gonna try and clean my room today, but I gotta go the gym first.

If anyone has any tips for high-calorie quality foods to add to my diet, I would appreciate it. I’m going to try to add about half a jar of peanut butter a day, and a 12 oz can of tuna in between lunch and dinner.

What other foods have you guys had success with for adding mass? In particular, if you have any suggestions for quality snack food that would be super helpful. I might try to add some almonds to the diet, but they’re super expensive.

[quote]ttknight wrote:

What other foods have you guys had success with for adding mass? [/quote]

Milk, peanut butter, and 1 serving fruit and/or vegetable with every meal. Canned tuna, chicken are good too.

I think you’re looking good. You’re pretty lean but I think you should focus on getting your maxes up…

I found this article which may be of assistance in incorporating crossfit with more max effort lifts:

http://www.performancemenu.com/shorties/index.ph

p?show=shorty&shortyID=39

Theres a four part article in the store, but you have to buy it. Its only 2.50 but I haven’t checked it out yet.

For adding calories, I think the first thing to do is get some surge or just some dextrose/high GI carb and add it to your whey for post workout.

[Edit: http://www.performancemenu.com/shorties/index.ph

p?show=shorty&shortyID=39 … ]

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Why would you want to get more lean than that? You are primed to add some good muscle that you will appreciate the rest of your life.[/quote]

x2

I greatly appreciate everyone’s input. Honestly, I was nervous to put my pictures up, but I figured it would be good motivation, and you guys have been very helpful.

I was also a bit reluctant to confess my recent quest for leanness. More than anything I think I was trying to give my bank account and digestive system a break before starting another heavy eating and lifting cycle. Enough with that though…it’s time to begin a serious growth phase.

I’ve started a log at:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2242084

I hope you guys check it out, and chime in with suggestions. See you there.

high calorie foods

nuts,lots of fats and calories
whole milk
peanut butter is great I hate it but i keep a jar of it on the counter and take a spoon full when i walk by it

steak
drizzle olive oil on everything
anything else ummmm
rice high in complex carbs
oatmeal
sweet taters

there all good
make sure you have a fruit and vegi with every solid full meal
jerky or nuts as a snack with whole milk

oh yes before I forget do a search for squats and milk
you may not want to do the workout but there is a diet plan on there for gaining mass beleive me it works
my favorite snack is slim jims
and beef jerky

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:

What a choon! Surprised I haven’t heard this before.

[quote]ttknight wrote:
I’m going to try to add about half a jar of peanut butter a day[/quote]

I like peanut butter myself, especially mixed with protein powder and cottage cheese. I’d make sure not to make it a staple of my diet, though, due to the fact that it’s loaded with omega-6 fatty acids.

[quote]ttknight wrote:
My goal for the past month has been to achieve some really impressive leanness. I never quite got there, but I’m going to start gaining weight again, with my sights set on 185 pounds.
[/quote]
Good decision.

You are quite lean already, but you definitely will have to add some muscle mass in order to look “impressive”. Otherwise, regardless of how much bodyfat you lose, I believe you’d still be disappointed.