Weak Average People

The book freakonomics makes an interesting observation about this. The majority of professional athletes are born in the last couple months before the cutoff in the age group for whatever sport they go pro in. Meaning they are no more genetically gifted, but receive more playing time, more praise, better success, more encouragement as a kid from the mere fact of being a little older.

It seems to show that effort, dedication are more important than genetics in most sports because there are lots of guys born throughout the rest of the year with at least as good genetics that donâ??t make it.

He even goes on to claim that an average guy with average genes can pretty easily make it to professional ranks with dedication from a young age.

[quote]TisDrew wrote:

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
And most importantly, if you have a dream go for it, don’t listen to the negative people who try and hold others back. I think there is some phrase that goes something like, if you shoot for the stars and wind up hitting the moon, you still made it to the moon so that’s a pretty big feat in itself and you shouldn’t get discouraged if ultimately you can’t fulfill all of your goals. It’s more about the journey than the end result and that’s all I really have to say. If things are meant to be they will be, if not just do what makes you happy and that’s all that matters in life.[/quote]

Shoot for the moon, and if you miss, you’ll still end up among the stars.[/quote]

Damn it, I butchered that quote lol…

and Forlife said exactly what I needed to say in far less words.

The “genetics” card is vastly overplayed. I spent 10 years stuck at the same bodyweight and strength levels before someone came along and told me to EAT.

Within weeks I had gained 10 pounds and hit new PR’s in all my lifts. Nothing else changed.

The point is if you’re stuck in the gym, 98 percent of the time, you’re missing a key component (diet, training, exercise, recover), as opposed to suffering from “bad” genetics.

I don’t think people understand how truly rare outliers are, on both ends of the spectrum. It’s just as rare for there to be someone with an innate ability to add slabs of muscle with apparently no effort as it is to find another who, despite their best efforts, simply cannot add muscle.

Genetically, the vast majority of us are going fall within the same spectrum as professional athletes with the exception of a VERY few. Yes, professional bodybuilders included.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:

lol nobody cares what you think bro[/quote]

Oh shit I forgot! Thanks bro!