We Were F**king Lame

Thank God I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Thank God I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s. [/quote]

Yea you just got to watch in real life, guys on acid and other drugs pretend to be superman or spiderman. :slight_smile:

I was stunned when a caught an old episode of He-Man on TV (can’t remember what channel) not too long ago. I used to have a dozen of the action figures as a kid, but that show was so terrible - the flimsy plot, the idiotic characters (many of whom were created just so they could sell another toy), and the blatant homoeroticism.

Thundercats was also an old favorite of mine, but the show now is silly. The part that sticks out to me now on all of these old cartoons is how terrible the bad guys are. They get their asses kicked in every single episode (and it’s not even close), but at the end, Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, et al simply just laugh and say “But we’ll be back because we’re so fucking evil and lame hahaha!” Evil? Nope, just passive aggressive pussies!

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Yea you just got to watch in real life, guys on acid and other drugs pretend to be superman or spiderman. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Hah! Nah, we had Flintstones, Jetsons… all the early Hannah-Barbarah toons, Johnny Quest, not to mention classics from Warner Brothers. Then when Scooby Doo came out, animation took a dive and didn’t recover until Ren & Stimpy.

[quote]Edevus wrote:

Damn, I love this movie.[/quote]

That makes ONE of you.

[quote]Ulty wrote:
I was stunned when a caught an old episode of He-Man on TV (can’t remember what channel) not too long ago. I used to have a dozen of the action figures as a kid, but that show was so terrible - the flimsy plot, the idiotic characters (many of whom were created just so they could sell another toy), and the blatant homoeroticism.

Thundercats was also an old favorite of mine, but the show now is silly. The part that sticks out to me now on all of these old cartoons is how terrible the bad guys are. They get their asses kicked in every single episode (and it’s not even close), but at the end, Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, et al simply just laugh and say “But we’ll be back because we’re so fucking evil and lame hahaha!” Evil? Nope, just passive aggressive pussies![/quote]

Just compared to the Avengers cartoon out now, they aren’t even in the same universe.

Cartoons today have real villains…that actually don’t all fail at the end. Hell,l Loki is just getting started on Avengers.

They wrote everything back then for the cleanest and youngest and most innocent…I assume because they were forced to.

The real push behind these terrible cartoons was the marketing of the toys. I thought it was so awesome in Thundercats and Transformers when new characters and especially the kick ass new vehicles would be introduced, but I realize as an adult that those were just new marketing efforts for the toy line.

The original Transformers movie in the 80s (where everyone essentially died) was shocking for a elementary school kid because of all of the violence, but it was incredibly awesome at the same time (I think the original Transformers cartoons hold up better than a lot of the other 80s shows). However, it turns out the movie was just a reason to reboot the series and introduce a whole new line of toys to sell.

[quote]Edevus wrote:
I still listen to the song of this cartoon, my favourite ever with He-Man (obviously) :

Not so much ago I watched an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (whatever order) and it was ridiculous, with the turtles realizing things that were impossible for them to know. Like, they are sitting at their “base” and they suddenly know that some bad guy is going to rob a bank. So lame.

[/quote]

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors was my SHIT!!!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Yea you just got to watch in real life, guys on acid and other drugs pretend to be superman or spiderman. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Hah! Nah, we had Flintstones, Jetsons… all the early Hannah-Barbarah toons, Johnny Quest, not to mention classics from Warner Brothers. Then when Scooby Doo came out, animation took a dive and didn’t recover until Ren & Stimpy. [/quote]

I know I grew up on all those same ones and Looney tunes which was my favorite. I started HS in 1987 so really stopped watching toons in the early 80’s.

Masters of the Universe vs. The Snake Men kicked the crap out of the original series in every way, except maybe the theme tune and Alan Oppenheimer’s superb voice work.

Too bad the toy line didn’t sell and the series got pulled before its time. They re-wrote He-Man as an ancient mantle inherited by Adam, not founded by him (King Grayskull flashbacks FTW) and villains were fleshed out well (esp. Skeletor’s back story).

I couldn’t watch the He-Man tv series that was set in space, even as a kid.

Not to mention some of the old Looney Toons cartoons from way back when (30s and 40s)- not only adult-oriented humor but incredibly racist undertones (very blatant in some of them). Yet these are some of the most beloved cartoon characters ever created.

Maybe it was because of stuff like this that made so many of the later cartoons super cheesy and innocent.

[quote]Rodimus Black wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:
I still listen to the song of this cartoon, my favourite ever with He-Man (obviously) :

Not so much ago I watched an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (whatever order) and it was ridiculous, with the turtles realizing things that were impossible for them to know. Like, they are sitting at their “base” and they suddenly know that some bad guy is going to rob a bank. So lame.

[/quote]

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors was my SHIT!!! [/quote]

I loved it too and the original song is damn great.

The ending was never made, but Jayce finds his father, who sacrifices himself so Jayce can defeat that plant overlord. I found some blog of the authors years ago.

[quote]Ulty wrote:
Not to mention some of the old Looney Toons cartoons from way back when (30s and 40s)- not only adult-oriented humor but incredibly racist undertones (very blatant in some of them). Yet these are some of the most beloved cartoon characters ever created.

Maybe it was because of stuff like this that made so many of the later cartoons super cheesy and innocent.[/quote]

Exactly. The standard was set. But animation was a time consuming art back then. In the 70’s and 80’s they could crank 'em out faster, but with a lot less creativity in all aspects of animation.

Anyone remember Clutch Cargo? Talk about low budget! They had real mouths filmed and superimposed over the art.
lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Anyone remember Clutch Cargo? Talk about low budget! They had real mouths filmed and superimposed over the art.
lol

That’s creepy and hilarious. Isn’t that what Bruce Willis’ character was watching on TV as a kid when Christopher Walken came to deliver the watch in Pulp Fiction?

80’s cartoon villains may have been a bit more on the weakside than darkside, but those cartoons sure knew how to boogie!!

Dexter’s Laboratory, Ed Edd n’ Eddy, Spiderman, X-Men, Powerpuff Girls (not even ashamed), Courage the Cowardly Dog, Recess, Cow and Chicken (a bit meh)…

90s cartoons ruled.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Ulty wrote:

Maybe it was because of stuff like this that made so many of the later cartoons super cheesy and innocent.[/quote]

Exactly. The standard was set. But animation was a time consuming art back then. In the 70’s and 80’s they could crank 'em out faster, but with a lot less creativity in all aspects of animation.

lol

Syncro Vox (Clutch Cargo) - YouTube [/quote]

Yeah. I remember the early Marvel cartoons, the original He-man (especially the shots of He-Man running, and Adam changing into He-man) and Hanna-Barbera cartoons like Space Ghost would use stock animation over and over again - all because of strict budgets / high production costs. I could see how that would limit storylines and make them seem formulaic from episode to episode.

[quote]Bambi wrote:
Dexter’s Laboratory, Ed Edd n’ Eddy, Spiderman, X-Men, Powerpuff Girls (not even ashamed), Courage the Cowardly Dog, Recess, Cow and Chicken (a bit meh)…

90s cartoons ruled.[/quote]

Terrible taste, going to request that you leave this thread good sir.

Late 80’s/early 90’s wins, no contest, I don’t care what your adult logic and rationality says looking back on it 20+ years later.

[quote]red04 wrote:

[quote]Bambi wrote:

90s cartoons ruled.[/quote]

Terrible taste, going to request that you leave this thread good sir.

Late 80’s/early 90’s wins, no contest, I don’t care what your adult logic and rationality says looking back on it 20+ years later.[/quote]

I disagree! Bambi listed some good ones that had great variation in visual style, over-the-top plots and scripts, all without dumbing them down. In fact, you could find PLENTY of humor that adults would only understand in some of them. TV animation was coming back in a big way in the 90’s.

For real. Dexter’s Lab was full of “adult directed humor” that I know little kids weren’t getting. It wasn’t blatant, but they seem to understand that kids aren’t the only ones watching now.