T Nation

We Need to Stop This Myth

I was eating some brown rice and eggs while i saw some of my buddies. Now i am not in the best of shape, i used to be 33% body fat but i managed to shake it down to 20.5%-23% after 5 months(i made the horrible mistake of doing cardio only for 2 months, now im doing heavy lifting as well.) and many were impressed. I might make it to 10% in a few months and weeks.

Now to the point, i believed as i grew taller i would grow out of it, that it would go away. No.
I worked my ass off to drop 22lbs and stopped relying on “hope”.

Why do we tell our generation of kids that they are just “big boned”. They must act now if they want to be redeemed of their self inflicted abuse.

here is a quote from one of my fatty friend and a skinny “eatanythinghewants” ecto

" They say kids should exercise a lot when they are young like running and swimming not gym, and should eat whatever they want because dieting will only make you fatter"

The “cardio ass bitch”(from coworkers bodyweight vs free weights thread i posted in) also agreed with them especially the part on not using weights.

My gym teacher said we would all lose weight as we got older, well that only happened to me!

Stop this stupid myth! Your a lardass boy who won’t stop the overeating and your gonna be fat for the rest of you damn life if you don’t act on it! Ask your mommy for a fucking gym membership for christmas not a xbox360!!!

Ok now i got that out…

MMMM

So i suppose the myth of growing out of obesity is false dear chap, any ideas on how to combat this falsity? I say there must be a tad bit of error in thy making of the current media.

Where is this rumor/myth coming from? I have always heard if you don’t teach a child how to eat right when they are young they will have an unhealthy diet the rest of there life. With the problems that come with bad food choices and no excersise “excess fat, health problems”.

[quote]Kungfushish wrote:

Ok now i got that out…

MMMM

[/quote]

that’s ghey brah

mmf FTW

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]Kungfushish wrote:

Ok now i got that out…

MMMM

[/quote]

that’s ghey brah

mmf FTW[/quote]

DUUUUUDE!!! YOU HAVE NO FACE!!!

I would agree that some people get some nutrition news from the internet or Reader’s Digest or something and go too far or the wrong way with it.
Like asparatame, yes it can give you cancer…if you eat a pound of it raw every day for 5 years, but Diet Coke doesn’t do that.

I’m 36 and I seem to remember that in elementary school (early 80s) there were about 3 chubby kids in the whole school. My memory could be off, so maybe it was 5 or 6, but I know it wasn’t that bad. Junior High about the same, maybe one chubby kid per class. High School I went to an all boys school but there were about 2 fat guys in each grade level and I wasn’t even one of them.

Today is different, but it’s not like we were walking uphill to school both ways and hated McDonalds and all that bullshit some people will say.
It was just a combination of less good TV to watch, so you’d get probably an average of just 10 minutes more running around the house pretending you’re Han Solo, Coke came in cans only, and 2L bottles that were considered to be family size, and I don’t think McDonalds had the SuperSize thing until 1990 or something. Also they didn’t have huge Snickers bars with the word Xtreme on them yet.

Oh, and we knew then that Atari kind of sucked, so we didn’t play video games that much, unless you went to the mall to play an arcade game, so there’s a 15 minute bike ride right there.

Dude, why are you eating brown rice and eggs if you’re trying to lose weight?

That’s about the LAST thing I’d ever eat when cutting.

I have never heard of this myth. When I was a kid there usually weren’t more than two fat kids in the whole school. In fact, I remember watching Goonies again a few years back and noticing that Chunk, a kid who was considered OBESE in the 80’s, would pass for “normal” today meaning all of those scenes where they made fun of him would probably cause some national uproar from NAAFA today.

Why would someone assume that “nature” would somehow do all of the work for them so their fat ass never has to move at all?

I’m familiar with the “growing out of it” myth? I was a typical skinny boy until around 10 yrs old then I chunked up for some reason. I remember summers of riding bikes, going to do our local creek and playing army with BB guns and eating twice a day…breakfast and supper. I was too busy running around the neighborhood to stop and eat lunch. This was the general schedule for afterschool and on weekends. I think I probably ate too much supper.

The only fast food available was Pizza Hut which was rare treat and it took almost an hour to get a pizza back then. The nearest McDonalds was 45 miles away.

Once I hit puberty, I broadened up. I began lifing at home doing countless pushups, bodyweight squats and arms…of course. This was in an effort to compete with my cousins who were doing the same. I was 180lbs from my sophomore - senior year in high school with a 32 inch waist. I did officialy walk a mile to high school and it actually did have an upgrade. Riding the bus wasn’t cool. Walking home was easier but hot at 90F and 90% humidity. Only a handful of high school kids had cars back then.

I don’t recall very many fat kids growing up. There were only a few. Being fat is what made the Pugsley an oddity on the Addams Family but that’s normal nowadays.

Pay attention to all of the food commercials. Everyone is happy AND eating. What happened to just sitting with friends and talking, and NOT eating? Additionally, the media has everyone believing they needs snacks or they’ll die or something.

People ought to try one day of fasting to get the feeling of real hunger.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]Kungfushish wrote:

Ok now i got that out…

MMMM

[/quote]

that’s ghey brah

mmf FTW[/quote]

DUUUUUDE!!! YOU HAVE NO FACE!!![/quote]

It reminds me of the beginning of Saving Private Ryan when Tom Hanks character is talking to the radio operater…then he goes to talk to him the second time seconds later…NO FACE!

[quote]Osmosis wrote:
I’m familiar with the “growing out of it” myth? I was a typical skinny boy until around 10 yrs old then I chunked up for some reason. I remember summers of riding bikes, going to do our local creek and playing army with BB guns and eating twice a day…breakfast and supper. I was too busy running around the neighborhood to stop and eat lunch. This was the general schedule for afterschool and on weekends. I think I probably ate too much supper.

The only fast food available was Pizza Hut which was rare treat and it took almost an hour to get a pizza back then. The nearest McDonalds was 45 miles away.

Once I hit puberty, I broadened up. I began lifing at home doing countless pushups, bodyweight squats and arms…of course. This was in an effort to compete with my cousins who were doing the same. I was 180lbs from my sophomore - senior year in high school with a 32 inch waist. I did officialy walk a mile to high school and it actually did have an upgrade. Riding the bus wasn’t cool. Walking home was easier but hot at 90F and 90% humidity. Only a handful of high school kids had cars back then.

I don’t recall very many fat kids growing up. There were only a few. Being fat is what made the Pugsley an oddity on the Addams Family but that’s normal nowadays.

Pay attention to all of the food commercials. Everyone is happy AND eating. What happened to just sitting with friends and talking, and NOT eating? Additionally, the media has everyone believing they needs snacks or they’ll die or something.

People ought to try one day of fasting to get the feeling of real hunger. [/quote]

I get what you are saying but where is the “MYTH” part in your post. I mean did a teacher or some other adult tell you or someone else as a kid that you would outgrow the body fat problem no matter how much you ate or what your activities were.

Well, I was chubby before puberty and I grew out of it. After that, it took me awhile to gain any weight in late teens - it would just burn off me. But again, I didn’t eat junk food when I was a kid. I guess ‘growing out of it’ will only work if you don’t have a lifestyle of a fatass.

Juz my 2 cents.

If you guys are talking about “baby fat”, then yes, many people do grow out of being a little “stocky”. 33% body fat is NOT a little stocky. That is OBESE. The same rules do not apply.

I think back in the day “you’ll grow out of it” was said quit often. Do I have scientific studies? No. I just remember it being said to kids that were a little larger. I think the term was “Husky”. I can’t remember very many really fat kids. Back than you normally would lose that excess weight rather easily do to the fact that we would get multiple recesses each day at school. We had more time to eat lunch and than a good amount of time to go to the playground and burn of some energy. Kids didn’t really have the distractions of today. You went out side, hooked up with your friends and played. Tag, rode bikes, baseball, football, capture the flag, etc. Most games involved alot of running. Heck, back than your parent chased you out of the house. You had no choice. How times have changed.

[quote]3hitter wrote:
I think back in the day “you’ll grow out of it” was said quit often. Do I have scientific studies? No. I just remember it being said to kids that were a little larger. I think the term was “Husky”. I can’t remember very many really fat kids. Back than you normally would lose that excess weight rather easily do to the fact that we would get multiple recesses each day at school. We had more time to eat lunch and than a good amount of time to go to the playground and burn of some energy. Kids didn’t really have the distractions of today. You went out side, hooked up with your friends and played. Tag, rode bikes, baseball, football, capture the flag, etc. Most games involved alot of running. Heck, back than your parent chased you out of the house. You had no choice. How times have changed.[/quote]

Exactly. Most “husky” kids grew out of it because they weren’t spending 7 hours a day in front of the tv playing video games everyday. We also understood what was meant by “you will grow out of it” when it was ever said…ie, it means the kid will be more active and grow taller so they will lose some of that extra fat…but I have NEVER heard someone use that for someone who was truly obese and it NEVER meant that the weight would just magically disappear if you did nothing but sit on your ass all day.

This thread sounds like the OP thought he didn’t have to move at all…which makes no sense.

You don’t blame the saying itself since most NON-obese kids will lose some of that baby fat IF THEY AREN’T LAZY SHITS FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.

I mean, most kids today seem to want something for nothing…so they sit on their ass eating chili fries while playing Halo all night long as their asses get even bigger.

Do kids today really think that exercise is unnecessary?

I was in class yesterday, and before class started this kid behind me kept shouting to his friend about how hard he trained his abs the other night. I mean he was really letting on to how hard he trained his abs, all loud and shit too. “Dude, I trained my fuckin’ abz so hard yesterday I can’t even laugh without it hurting my fuckin’ abz dude, and I blah, blah, blah… fuckin’ abz dude blah, blah, blah… fuckin’ abz dude.”

He probably said “fuckin’ abz dude” about 30 times in 3 minutes.

Don’t know why I’m posting this, I guess it’s to point out that the college kids are at least training their “fuckin’ abz dude”. I suppose that’s better than nothing.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Dude, why are you eating brown rice and eggs if you’re trying to lose weight?

That’s about the LAST thing I’d ever eat when cutting.[/quote]

I eat it at lunch and no carbs past 3 pm(12 pm on off days) at all and no past 6 pm

[quote]four60 wrote:
Where is this rumor/myth coming from? I have always heard if you don’t teach a child how to eat right when they are young they will have an unhealthy diet the rest of there life. With the problems that come with bad food choices and no excersise “excess fat, health problems”.

[/quote]

I know where the hell is this rumor coming from i heard it from many people in my life! Not to me but to other people who happen to be in the room.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
If you guys are talking about “baby fat”, then yes, many people do grow out of being a little “stocky”. 33% body fat is NOT a little stocky. That is OBESE. The same rules do not apply.[/quote]

Many in my class refuse to believe i have changed and that i was just taller. My weight loss isn’t over yet, sigh its chinese new year and its my 5 day cheat of white rice and stir fry and korean bbq.

But i agree that when someone is wtf fat they won’t grow out of it.

That was my point if your a little stocky then yes but if you are carrying a bellah then no.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Dude, why are you eating brown rice and eggs if you’re trying to lose weight?

That’s about the LAST thing I’d ever eat when cutting.[/quote]

Either this is sarcasm or you are the hardest man in the world.