We Don't Talk Funny, You All Listen Funny

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Now that’s another map I’d like to see: the line separating the German speakers who say “ze sing is” from the ones who say “de ting is”.[/quote]

I’d like to see the line separating the other regions of Germany’s tolerance for Bavarian lederhosen in increasingly ridiculous forms. From just short leather pantaloons to full Robin Hood type gear.[/quote]

You never can tell what Germans will tolerate when it comes to lederhosen.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Now that’s another map I’d like to see: the line separating the German speakers who say “ze sing is” from the ones who say “de ting is”.[/quote]

I’d like to see the line separating the other regions of Germany’s tolerance for Bavarian lederhosen in increasingly ridiculous forms. From just short leather pantaloons to full Robin Hood type gear.[/quote]

You never can tell what Germans will tolerate when it comes to lederhosen. [/quote]

Bless his little knee-high cotton socks.

I won’t post any more, but just enter “hitler lederhosen” in Google images if you want a laugh. You just can’t be taken seriously as a totalitarian genocidal maniac if you insist on wearing suede shorts.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
I won’t post any more, but just enter “hitler lederhosen” in Google images if you want a laugh. You just can’t be taken seriously as a totalitarian genocidal maniac if you insist on wearing suede shorts. [/quote]

I think the funniest part about Hitler is that he’s always the most unenthusiastic person in group photos by a hilariously wide margin. But the close-up with his little strap-hat on is also priceless.

Nice to see that a shot of Glenn Beck doing the salute dressed in Lederhosen in front of his chalkboard made it’s way on there. I hope I don’t immediately regret the mention of that by turning this into a politiks brawl. Quickly, make more posts to hide the evidence!

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
Really traffic circle? Do people really say traffic circle on the East Coast of the U.S.?

[/quote]
I’ve never heard it

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

yes

My friend’s dad, when he was still alive, used to pronounce the L in “salmon” quite distinctly, like the first two syllables of “salmonella”. He pronounced “almond” the same way. My grandfather, on the other hand, pronounced them “sammin” and “ammind”.

My grandmother, who was from Missouri (“Mizzurrah”), pronounced pecan “PEE-can”, which I, saying “pi-CAHN”, always found chucklesome as a small child.

Thanks for sharing this Varqanir!

I recall hearing the story of the West Coast woman who walked into a little jewelry store in Brooklyn and asked the girl behind the counter if she could see some earrings.

The sales girl asked, “do ya have P.S.D.S.?”

Confused, the woman asked, “do I have what?”

“P.S.D.S.”

“I’m sorry,” the woman said, “I don’t know what that is.”

The sales girl sighed and rolled her eyes. “Ya know…” she exclaimed, grabbing her own pierced earlobes, “P.S.D.S.!!”

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

This is forgivable if the expression in question is “I’d like to do Summer.”

One peeve that I have is not so much regional, but seems to be fairly recent and prevalent throughout the country (at least I never heard it before I left for Japan): referring to dairy products simply as “dairy”, as in “to increase your calcium, add more dairy to your diet.”

A dairy is a place where products are produced and sold, not the products themselves. One would not suggest that someone cut complex carbohydrates by eliminating “bakery” from their diets, nor increase their animal protein consumption by adding more “meatmarket”.

Guess I’m just too old-school to think that far out of the box.[/quote]

Man I’d rather be “In Summer” than summering “In Bruges,” that’s for sure.

OK you hit on my pet hate. Taking mixing up parts of speach.

I can’t send you an invite, I can invite you by sending you an invitation though.

I can’t action that, I can take action however.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
When I was a kid growing up in Winnipeg in the 80s we said “Halloween Apples!” on Halloween instead of “Trick or treat!”…even then I thought it sounded like something grandpa would tell you they said in the 30s or something.
I was home for a Halloween two years ago and no kids said it any more.[/quote]

Halloween Apples? Please tell me you were at least after candy apples, and the phrase has neither too much nor too little significance to real events.[/quote]

No, we wanted the normal little chocolate bars and lollipops like usual Halloween candy is. Actually if some old owman actually gave us a real apple we’d be upset.

I think this thread is in danger of being killed by Summer Glau’s brain.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
I recall hearing the story of the West Coast woman who walked into a little jewelry store in Brooklyn and asked the girl behind the counter if she could see some earrings.

The sales girl asked, “do ya have P.S.D.S.?”

Confused, the woman asked, “do I have what?”

“P.S.D.S.”

“I’m sorry,” the woman said, “I don’t know what that is.”

The sales girl sighed and rolled her eyes. “Ya know…” she exclaimed, grabbing her own pierced earlobes, “P.S.D.S.!!”[/quote]
lel

I live in Taiwan an one time a coworker asked me if i liked a TV show called France…or that’s what I thought she said.

I told her I’d never heard of it. She said it was quite popular, so I asked her what it was about…she said it was about some people that lived in New York together…then I realized she was saying “Friends”

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

Oh man, I’ve never met somebody that has said, “We Summered in the Lake District last year” and not wanted to punch their eyes.

[/quote]

I think that this is a universal response, except by other people who do the same. That is how they find others to go summering with.

If we’re talking about that sort of thing then I hate when people shorten words. Like "def’ for definitely or “no prob” for no problem.

[quote]Nards wrote:
If we’re talking about that sort of thing then I hate when people shorten words. Like "def’ for definitely or “no prob” for no problem.[/quote]

I hate when people come here and decide not to learn any Spanish beforehand, I always boil up when someone says “no problemo” as “You’re welcome” in place of “De nada”. Amongst the others, I think the one that hit me most was hearing somebody say “Absolutamento”, expecting that almost every Spanish word is just a bastardised English word with an O on the end.