We All Have Bigorexia?

[quote]Renton wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Renton wrote:

Mind you I’ve worked with several people who were into the whole body image side of recouperation and self image for cancer patients and several of them tried to over analyse why I lift.

They simply could not leave it that there was no underlying problem. They would not have it that I lift to feel good, stay fit & healthy and look how I want.

I hate that… People constantly trying to analyze what you do and telling you what your motives for every single of your actions are supposed to be.

They are also generally the ones who are so totally… unimpressive or have a ton of issues themselves…

Agreed.

In one case however, one of the women who was trying to overanalyze things was open to more discussion. I got her to read the AD article Vision Quest.

Long story short after a few more discussions she joined a gym. I spoke to her recently (she’s now been training for 6 months regularly) and she seems to have changed her mind completely. She actually admitted to the peace of mind and clear head she gets from a tough workout and how she now ‘gets’ why people lift.

I sent her a few links of some of the ladies here deadlifting and she said “Right - I got something to aim for!”[/quote]

That’s nice to hear… But unfortunately, people like her seem to be the rare exception…

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Curiously enough, during my 4-year stay in South Africa I only got
positive comments…
[/quote]

Interesting - Like I said, I get mostly positive comments here.

Mind you the BBC are trying to change that.

there is a quota of diseases that they have to come up with every year and they are running out of ideas

That’s nice to hear… But unfortunately, people like her seem to be the rare exception…
[/quote]

Absolutely. I do hope that in some way though, as she talks “their” talk, that maybe she’ll have some influence on her colleagues to find out the truth for themselves instead of classing everyone as unstable in some way.

One little pebble might just cause a landslide. Doubt it though.

You’re all in denial.

[quote]mazevedo wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
They just need to create another disorder.

and then create and market a drug to treat it

do you have psychological issues with bigorexia and wanting to improve yourself ? then take this drug to correct that nasty condition

Side effect may include, but are not limited to, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, severe obesity, erecetile disfuntion, frequent urination, loss of appetite, skin irritations, bloating, dizziness and retardation.

[/quote]

You forgot “uncontrolled muscular hypertrophy” or something like that :wink:

I once bought cough mixture (if that’s the right word) in a pharmacy in Cape Town and made the mistake of reading the warnings: “…may include, but are not limited to, … ,cerebral haemorrhaging ,coughing fits,…”

I know it’s unlikely for these things to happen, but you got to wonder at a) the irony of getting coughing fits from a cough mixture and
b) the fact that this shit could actually cause your brain to start bleeding big time. I mean, what the fuck do they make that stuff from?

[quote]Renton wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Curiously enough, during my 4-year stay in South Africa I only got
positive comments…

Interesting - Like I said, I get mostly positive comments here.

Mind you the BBC are trying to change that.[/quote]

Maybe we should start working in the media… Quietly Work our way up 'till we’re the ones pulling the strings…

In all seriousness, I think that would be the only way of somehow improving this situation… Can’t imagine that it’s going to get any better in the near future.

We have Arnold, now we need more like him, maybe…

This is why I NEVER tell people what my goals are in bodybuilding unless I am lifting weights with them.

It is fucked up that you can’t push hard towards a goal without people trying to make it seem like you have problems because of it.

i think the film makers problem is how he portrays everyone. ok yea, these people want to be bigger but theres a huge difference between wanting to get bigger and thinking youre not big or not good enough. ok if youre 5’10 230lbs and you think youre “small” in any context of the word you may need a reality check. now if you can assert yourself and say yea i know im a big, im the biggest guy at the gym, etc but you still want to get bigger than thats just a choice.

what if someone has 90 billion dollars and you ask do you think youre rich? and they say, yeah but i want to get richer. would you say that person has money-rexia or would just say the guy likes to make money?

X,

Why are you offended? We all know you’re a twig.

I like the logical fallacy that ‘balance’ has to mean two extremes situated on the fulcrum of ‘awareness.’ Fuck. That.

You do not mitigate a problem by fabricating a condition that is characterized by its exact opposite.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
X,

I like the logical fallacy that ‘balance’ has to mean two extremes situated on the fulcrum of ‘awareness.’ Fuck. That.

You do not mitigate a problem by fabricating a condition that is characterized by its exact opposite.[/quote]

Someone is trying to sound smart :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How many knots do you have in your fingers now?

[quote]mazevedo wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
They just need to create another disorder.

and then create and market a drug to treat it

do you have psychological issues with bigorexia and wanting to improve yourself ? then take this drug to correct that nasty condition

Side effect may include, but are not limited to, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, severe obesity, erecetile disfuntion, frequent urination, loss of appetite, skin irritations, bloating, dizziness and retardation.
[/quote]

and a 4 hour hard on… all side effects for Big Erectseeya

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
You’re all in denial.[/quote]

No we’re not. :stuck_out_tongue:

PonceDeLeon wrote:
X,

You do not mitigate a problem by fabricating a condition that is characterized by its exact opposite.

Someone is trying to sound smart :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How many knots do you have in your fingers now?[/quote]

As many as wrinkles your brain tissue formed trying to digest what I wrote.

(kidding, dude)

That video is seems to claim everybody who wants to get bigger has muscle dysmorphia. That’s like saying anybody who diets is anorexic, crazy.

Those guys on the video just wanted to get bigger, no disorder at all. As you guys have pointed out the guy who claimed to have 19 inch arms may have had the opposite disorder, where he thought he was bigger than he was… what do you call that?

What do you call someone who is smart but still tries to improve by educating themself further? Is that a disorder too?

[quote]Renton wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
You’re all in denial.

No we’re not. :P[/quote]

Denial - I don’t have bigorexia!

Anger - Dammit, I have bigorexia!

Bargaining - I’ll do anything to get rid of this bigorexia.

Depression - I’m going to kill myself over this bigorexia.

Acceptance - My name is Tom, and I have bigorexia.

(Disclaimer: Anyone in the anger stage is assumed to have roid rage.)

Would you guys characterize someone as having an “-orexia” who is making progress or even already bigger than the average population, yet still looks in the mirror and has a complex about their “lack” of size, to the point where it stokes a latent depression in them?

There has to be a pre-requisite for any classification of body dysmorphia. Where do you guys draw the line, legitimately, in your own bodybuilding sand box? What unhealthy sacrifices have to be made for a person to stand out as having ‘issues’ ?

I wish people could be a little more honest about arm measurements. When I first started out I thought I had about 5 inches to go before my arms would look decent. Until I figured out most guys claiming 19" arms actually were more like 16" on a good day.

Think about the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages. They got to decide what’s moral, what’s proper behavior, etc.

The Catholic Church does not exercise just a totalizing control over people’s lives today, but who does? Well, the closest group I can think of is the psychologists. They are the new priests. They make their money and get their power telling us what is wrong and right and how we should behave. Anybody who falls outside the margins of what they consider normal has “issues”.

They make their money off of “sick” people and all they have to do is tag some human behavior with a name that connotes pathology and put it in the DSM-IV and that person is “sick”. To the psychologists, everybody is sick (except them).

Now, there are some exceptions to the above. I am speaking of the psychological establishment in general. You know what? Fuck’em!

My fav treatment of this theme is “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”, in which you come to the realization that it’s not the inmates who are really crazy but the people who run the institution.

I know this one dude who has “Stipe-orexia”.

His secret is one soy latte energy drink before an all night coke binge.