We All Have Bigorexia?

This is what people are calling Bigorexia now?

According to what I’ve seen lately, ANY guy who wants more muscle now has Bigorexia.

Side note: half of the guys in this video are lying their asses off about their current arm measurements. 19" arms? Right.

Is this just society trying to make sure no one stands out too much or are people really this hateful that they try to label anyone with “extraordinary” goals as being mentally defective?

They interviewed Leon Himitean at 2:38 (a 1950 Mr. Universe competitor who didn’t win Steve Reeves won that year) and labeled him as being that way as well. The guy is 87 years old. Are they saying he shouldn’t have ever wanted to be a Mr. Universe?

Michael Vu doesn’t exactly sound like a force to be reckoned with, not an accurate indicator of popular sentiment. Wait a minute, there is not even a 2:38 on the video linked to this post. Sure you’ve got your links lined up straight?

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Michael Vu doesn’t exactly sound like a force to be reckoned with, not an accurate indicator of popular sentiment. Wait a minute, there is not even a 2:38 on the video linked to this post. Sure you’ve got your links lined up straight?[/quote]

My mistake. I fixed it.

This is the link:

They just need to create another disorder.

I think this is what you wanted to post:

And yes, it looks just as moronic as you suggest. What in the hell are the producers trying to say in the first place? What is the point? It is very much NOT clear. Other than to tear down people who spend time working toward an actual goal? What are they trying to say the (preferable) alternative is? Sounds like a bunch of ridiculous sour grapes to me. I am scared to think about how much the general public, however, agrees with the sentiment expressed in this video.

EDIT: Just saw your revision.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
They just need to create another disorder. [/quote]

They’ve been working fairly hard at this one, however.

It makes me question the motives.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
They just need to create another disorder. [/quote]

and then create and market a drug to treat it

do you have psychological issues with bigorexia and wanting to improve yourself ? then take this drug to correct that nasty condition

21 inches? 19 inches? Bullshit. The 1st guy had nowhere near 21 inches, unless he was like 7’ tall.

And what’s wrong with the general public calling it bigorexia? Anorexia seems to be the desire to be as skinny as possible, bigorexia is just the opposite pole, in my personal opinion. On some level, there’s a truth to it.

I remember that video. Some idiot girl I know sent it to me about a year ago. She was telling me how unhealthy it is to work out and that I’m endangering my body. 20 minutes later she’s still lecturing me on msn, unaware I haven’t replied once.

Bigorexia is a joke, why do people have to put down others who like to work towards a goal? So it might not be in the interest of the average person to have 20’’ arms. She was comparing it to anorexia, I don’t know how though. One requires a great diet and hard work. The other requires starving yourself.

Think you meant to post this link Prof…

I doubt there’s any single reason for this putting down of people who want to excel.

Jealousy from those without the commitment to improve themselves would be one thing, sheep following the media would be another.

Society certainly takes a dim view on many occasions of anyone who stands out too much - or at least that’s what the media says.

Strange that this sort of thing gets the attention it does. I took my kids to the park today - it was hot so I went shirtless to catch some sun. Now I’m not a big guy yet (just bigger than many) but I got several comments (all positive) about my size.

Mind you I’ve worked with several people who were into the whole body image side of recouperation and self image for cancer patients and several of them tried to over analyse why I lift.

They simply could not leave it that there was no underlying problem. They would not have it that I lift to feel good, stay fit & healthy and look how I want.

[Edit] you all beat me to the revised link while I was typing. Doh!

What can I say to that…
Most people are apparently stupid by default these days… Bigorexia my ass…
Even if, it’s still better than the anorexia or
idontgiveafuckorexia that’s so widespread among today’s population.

And yeah, their arm measurements are just a teeny tiny bit… totally off.

Out of all the “diseases” to have, I’d be happy to have it, lol.

Let’s see, train my ass off and be healthy, or starve myself and think I’m always too fat. Gee, tough choice there.

I don’t feel all that offended by that title. I don’t think it’s necessarily accurate in how it reflects the lifestyle of bodybuilding, but it implies that people with ‘Bigorexia’ want to get as big as possible. Last time I checked, that sounds like half of the people on this message board.

EDIT: Just finished the video. You guys are right, these people are jackasses.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
21 inches? 19 inches? Bullshit. The 1st guy had nowhere near 21 inches, unless he was like 7’ tall.

And what’s wrong with the general public calling it bigorexia? Anorexia seems to be the desire to be as skinny as possible, bigorexia is just the opposite pole, in my personal opinion. On some level, there’s a truth to it.[/quote]

Anorexia is DISEASE characterized by people destroying their lives and health to be skinny.

How is bodybuilding destroying the life of every person here who wants to get bigger?

[quote]SSC wrote:
I don’t feel all that offended by that title. I don’t think it’s necessarily accurate in how it reflects the lifestyle of bodybuilding, but it implies that people with ‘Bigorexia’ want to get as big as possible. Last time I checked, that sounds like half of the people on this message board.[/quote]

It is more than just semantics.

When the general public uses this to label you as having a disorder, that is where the problem arises.

It may not hit all of you the same. If you are a VERY big guy, it will be thrown at you very often. It is NOT just describing people who want big muscles. It is describing them as having something wrong with them because they do.

[quote]Renton wrote:

Mind you I’ve worked with several people who were into the whole body image side of recouperation and self image for cancer patients and several of them tried to over analyse why I lift.

They simply could not leave it that there was no underlying problem. They would not have it that I lift to feel good, stay fit & healthy and look how I want.

[/quote]

I hate that… People constantly trying to analyze what you do and telling you what your motives for every single of your actions are supposed to be.

They are also generally the ones who are so totally… unimpressive or have a ton of issues themselves…

I see what your saying PX. Based on how people treat me, I see it more of lack of acceptance of a lifestyle rather than trying to keep everyone looking normal. The same women that tell me they love Batista look at me like I’m stupid if I go to the gym everyday.

I think there is a general consensus that it’s 95% genetic and 5% working out and nutrition, and once you get it it stays like that for life you can just stop working out.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Renton wrote:

I hate that… People constantly trying to analyze what you do and telling you what your motives for every single of your actions are supposed to be.

They are also generally the ones who are so totally… unimpressive or have a ton of issues themselves…
[/quote]

Agreed.

In one case however, one of the women who was trying to overanalyze things was open to more discussion. I got her to read the AD article Vision Quest.

Long story short after a few more discussions she joined a gym. I spoke to her recently (she’s now been training for 6 months regularly) and she seems to have changed her mind completely. She actually admitted to the peace of mind and clear head she gets from a tough workout and how she now ‘gets’ why people lift.

I sent her a few links of some of the ladies here deadlifting and she said “Right - I got something to aim for!”

[quote]Professor X wrote:
SSC wrote:
I don’t feel all that offended by that title. I don’t think it’s necessarily accurate in how it reflects the lifestyle of bodybuilding, but it implies that people with ‘Bigorexia’ want to get as big as possible. Last time I checked, that sounds like half of the people on this message board.

It is more than just semantics.

When the general public uses this to label you as having a disorder, that is where the problem arises.

It may not hit all of you the same. If you are a VERY big guy, it will be thrown at you very often. It is NOT just describing people who want big muscles. It is describing them as having something wrong with them because they do.[/quote]

To SSC: “half the people on this message board” ? More like 2 percent.
It used to be half the people, maybe,… But that was some time ago.

To the prof: I hear you, man…

People over here seem especially agressive in regards to telling me how wrong everything about me is.

Curiously enough, during my 4-year stay in South Africa I only got
positive comments…

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
They just need to create another disorder.

and then create and market a drug to treat it

do you have psychological issues with bigorexia and wanting to improve yourself ? then take this drug to correct that nasty condition[/quote]

Side effect may include, but are not limited to, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, severe obesity, erecetile disfuntion, frequent urination, loss of appetite, skin irritations, bloating, dizziness and retardation.