WB4SB Novice Trainee Question

I know in the template it says to rotate the ME exercise every 2-3 weeks otherwise you will stop progressing. For someone completely new to training (or someone who stopped training for awhile) Is rotating the exercises that early really neccasary?

If I can keep progressing on the dead and bench (Because I havent done them in awhile) Should I just keep going until the gains slow down. Then switch out the exercises and do the same with the next ME exercise.

I figure if I can get 6 ME upper and lower body days with the same lift, while still progressing, it would be worth it… I definately wouldnt be able to do that in 4-5 months from now, but if I could now then why not?

Good Idea or will I be disrupting the time space continuim by not following the program to the letter?

Russians believed that novice trainees can usually make progress with the same set of exercises for up to 8-12 weeks. So yeah, I think you can get away with it, but I’d still reccomend switching frequently.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Russians believed that novice trainees can usually make progress with the same set of exercises for up to 8-12 weeks. So yeah, I think you can get away with it, but I’d still reccomend switching frequently.[/quote]

I think I’ll try it. The worst thing that could happen is I don’t progress one week, and can just switch the exercises the next week.

[quote]Smith K wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
Russians believed that novice trainees can usually make progress with the same set of exercises for up to 8-12 weeks. So yeah, I think you can get away with it, but I’d still reccomend switching frequently.

I think I’ll try it. The worst thing that could happen is I don’t progress one week, and can just switch the exercises the next week.[/quote]

that is the part of the basis for rotating the exercises in the first place. but at least you understand that rather than just followin it unknowingly…

It was my understanding that stagnation can become ingrained if exercises arent switched up all too often.

However 2-3 weeks is a little too short for me… I tend to go for 4 week blocks myself.

As a newbie to a program such as this I would reccomend following it as closely as possible for 8-12 weeks before you play around too much. One of the few alterations I have made is to switch up the supplemental RE exercise after the ME upper exercise for a 4x6-10 set/rep scheme.

That and a few exercise variations here and there.

If you aren’t maxing out of working at or above 90% on the same exercise every week, then you won’t need to rotate exercises very often at all.

If you are working at that level weekly, how often you need to rotate will be determined by your level of experience. More advanced trainees will stagnate more quickly on an exercise and will generally need to rotate max lifts on a weekly basis whereas intermediates can generally get away with rotating every 2-3 weeks. Beginners may be able to go even longer than that before having to switch lifts as it takes them longer to realize strength gains from motor learning than intermediate or advanced trainees.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
If you aren’t maxing out of working at or above 90% on the same exercise every week, then you won’t need to rotate exercises very often at all.

If you are working at that level weekly, how often you need to rotate will be determined by your level of experience. More advanced trainees will stagnate more quickly on an exercise and will generally need to rotate max lifts on a weekly basis whereas intermediates can generally get away with rotating every 2-3 weeks. Beginners may be able to go even longer than that before having to switch lifts as it takes them longer to realize strength gains from motor learning than intermediate or advanced trainees.[/quote]

I’m working up to a 3 rep max, but my 3 rep “max” isn’t really a true max, because a week later it might be only 90 percent of my three rep max. Like you said; I’m still in that novice stage where “strength gains” are really just me moving the bar more efficiently.

On a side note I wasn’t able to break my max this week on the bench (well not by much). It might have been me being over-zealous and trying to add 15 Lbs… But I think it’s the fact I wasn’t eating to good over the weekend, and partied this weekend (End of first year party) so I’m guessing I probably didn’t recover all that well.

I’ll see what happens next monday. If I still can’t add any weight I’ll switch it up.

EDIT: Out of curiousity how long do you think someone could stay on a program like ws4sb before they wouldn’t see noticeable gains? 2-3 years?

[quote]Smith K wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

If you are working at that level weekly, how often you need to rotate will be determined by your level of experience. More advanced trainees will stagnate more quickly on an exercise and will generally need to rotate max lifts on a weekly basis whereas intermediates can generally get away with rotating every 2-3 weeks. Beginners may be able to go even longer than that before having to switch lifts as it takes them longer to realize strength gains from motor learning than intermediate or advanced trainees.

I’m working up to a 3 rep max, but my 3 rep “max” isn’t really a true max, because a week later it might be only 90 percent of my three rep max. Like you said; I’m still in that novice stage where “strength gains” are really just me moving the bar more efficiently.

On a side note I wasn’t able to break my max this week on the bench (well not by much). It might have been me being over-zealous and trying to add 15 Lbs… But I think it’s the fact I wasn’t eating to good over the weekend, and partied this weekend (End of first year party) so I’m guessing I probably didn’t recover all that well.

I’ll see what happens next monday. If I still can’t add any weight I’ll switch it up.

EDIT: Out of curiousity how long do you think someone could stay on a program like ws4sb before they wouldn’t see noticeable gains? 2-3 years?

[/quote]

Providing you change up the exercises regulary (all of them) and vary set/rep schemes and the such… you could in theory stay on it indefinatly.

[quote]benmoore wrote:

Providing you change up the exercises regulary (all of them) and vary set/rep schemes and the such… you could in theory stay on it indefinatly.
[/quote]

I’m assuming you mean the supplemental and accessory exercises? How often would you have to change these up?

I plan on doing this program until atleast september (which is when I go to university) and have access to a much better training area. So I’ll be following this template for 4 months. Would I have to change up the accessory work; I was under the opinion that since it was more rep work that I would have to change it at all.

[quote]Smith K wrote:
benmoore wrote:

I’m assuming you mean the supplemental and accessory exercises? How often would you have to change these up?

I plan on doing this program until atleast september (which is when I go to university) and have access to a much better training area. So I’ll be following this template for 4 months. Would I have to change up the accessory work; I was under the opinion that since it was more rep work that I would have to change it at all.
[/quote]

Cycle ME lifts every 2-4 weeks (I often take a break from bench variations for 2-4 weeks every 12 weeks. Accessory work can be mixed up at the same rate… I tend to try and arrange mine to complement my current ME lift.

But thats just my interpretation.