Ways to Relieve Back After Heavy Lifting?

For what its worthā€¦ I will foam roll (I use a pvc pipe) and lacrosse ball and hit the lower back , hips and glute area making sure nothing gummed up.

1 Like

Not much really, Iā€™m probably one of the last people to ask about warmups prior to lifting if Iā€™m being totally honest.

Does the lacrosse ball really help you?

Haha okay thank you anyway for the useful piece of advice!

Iā€™ll add: As a warm down I do 3-5 mins on the rower super gentle and lowest resistance level, about 15 strokes in the middle of this I do a sort of high stroke like a half face pull that really gets the discs clunking about and mobilised. Directly hits the thoracics but seems to help lower back also

1 Like

Since were both women, Iā€™ll add to boot,
I take it you focus a great deal on your butt/glutes.
Fix your hips. Theyā€™re probably not as jacked as mine are, but they have a tendency of becoming tight as well. Give some attention to the piriformis, and the IT band. Tight hips can leech over into tight hamstrings, knee irritation, and a few other annoying issues that I donā€™t care to elaborate on.

Give your lats and upper body some attention too. I know itā€™s sought after to mostly develop the lower body while not caring so much as to develop the upper body, but itā€™s extremely beneficial to us ladies.

With us being women youā€™re gonna have to work in a higher rep range for iso movements, and tack on another set or two for the medium-heavy range of compound movements. Thereā€™s a plethora of rep/set schemes and programs on this site to see which one suits you the best.

Hang from stuff, deep tissue manipulation, laying prone on the floor for however many mins, walking, and some sort of movement that promotes power development (box jumps, but donā€™t go crazy with them, sprints focusing on the initial take off, vertical jumps, etc.)

Ab work. Not just crunches. You can employ stabilization movements as well.

Assess your foot arch too, and if youā€™re someone who wears heels a great deal, give them a rest for a bit. Overtime theyā€™ll irritate your back and hips as well.

Thatā€™s all I got.

2 Likes

Thanks it sounds good!
Hope that works for me, too!!

Thanks girlšŸ™ really helpful!
Of course as the majority of women gymgoers a great deal of work goes to lower body, but I donā€™t know about you, back and delts are my fav second part that i m looking forward when it comes to training but you pointed out where I lack:abs I have four-five months to directly hit them. Fuck who needs abs when yoy can gave quads right? But really amazing thought I think I have to include them to my program :confused:

Definitely going to start trying this one.

I work everything pretty much. Youā€™re more than welcome to check out my log if you like.

Iā€™m not strength focused at the moment, but thatā€™s typically what I pay the most attention to. Right now Iā€™m just trying to be less fat lol.

Iā€™m not sure what my favorite part to work is honestly. I just like the whole body as A single functioning unit. When I first started out I really wanted to develop my legs quite a bit though.

If they werenā€™t so important in posture and connecting your upper half to your lower half I probably wouldnā€™t pay too close attention to my abs either :grimacing:

You can use them as you see fit though.

1 Like

More than right and ill make the change asapāœ”ļø
Thank you, Iā€™ll sure check it!
Haha got yah, at the moment I just struggle to maintain my weight but its soo hot and I feel everything just "slips " slowly away from mešŸ˜‚

Ive done the lacrosse ball too. Itā€™s actually very common due to its density and being able to move yourself around it to realky target just where youā€™re getting the tightness.

Lots of great stuff mentioned,ā€¦ I saw some discussions lf spinal decompression and recalled how some old school guys like Tom Platz used to hang upside down using gravity boots after some heavy squat sessions. I know a guy who recently purchased an inversion table for a similar reason.

S

1 Like

Do you have something particular to mention?
Like the best way that works for you?

The stuff Iā€™ve found particularly useful is very pelvic based. Ie. Iā€™ll do hyper extensions in the traditional manner, but then Iā€™ll reverse myself on the equipment and do a sort of ghetto-reverse hyper, which just feels great.

This is usually following a bunch of stretching (stuff already mentioned like Hams, glutes etc), Core movements (planks, ā€œdead bugsā€, bird dogs).

S

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like

The easiest thing you can do is lay on your back for 5-10 minutes with your legs up on something (bench, chair, couch, whatever), legs straight out at 90 degrees and knees bent at 90 degrees. Other than hanging or inversion tables and such, this is the position that puts the least compressive force on your spine and also will let the related muscles (hip flexors/extensor, spinal erectors, etc.) relax. I do this after lower body workouts, my back used to get all stiff and cramped up when I had to go to work (where I stand pretty much all day) after training in the morning, havenā€™t had a problem since.

3 Likes

Thanks so much Iā€™ll try that right now :joy::joy:
Do you believe getting a massage or cryotherapy will work to that too??

If you have a sports massage therapist (who actually knows what they are doing) then maybe that would help. Cryotherapy can interfere with adaptations from training, Mike Israetel was talking about this a while back, it will help you recover but it has negative effects of its own. Look into myofascial release/trigger point therapy, if you have a massage stick (like theracane or similar) and a lacrosse ball you can fix a lot of things.

1 Like

Ok!
Thank you again for the useful information!!!

1 Like

Mostly on the spots where I cant hit effectively by rolling.

1 Like