Ways to Increase Bench Press?

I’m currently 18 years old, 5’10 and 153 lbs. I have been working my chest a lot and my strength has been steadily increasing. Right now my one rep max is 275. I would like to get to 300 and I have heard of many things that will help your bench go up. Are there some exercises or routines you would recommend to help with this?

Something that I could either add to my current routine or start a new routine. Thanks for the advice. I usually do barbell bench 3x5, dumbbell incline 3x5, some pec flies 3x5, pushups, and decline barbell 3x5, using heavy weights.

For me, 5x5 on the bench built my strength. Heavy enough to take 4 or 5 minutes in between sets, and just barely able to get all 5, but get them on every set. In my opinion, what makes your bench better is benching. Often. If it’s your priority, make it so and skip some other crap.
Where ya at in Il?

[quote]Soybean wrote:
I’m currently 18 years old, 5’10 and 153 lbs. I have been working my chest a lot and my strength has been steadily increasing. Right now my one rep max is 275. I would like to get to 300 and I have heard of many things that will help your bench go up. Are there some exercises or routines you would recommend to help with this?

Something that I could either add to my current routine or start a new routine. Thanks for the advice. I usually do barbell bench 3x5, dumbbell incline 3x5, some pec flies 3x5, pushups, and decline barbell 3x5, using heavy weights. [/quote]
Oh yeah, forgot to say, I don’t think heavy flies are gonna help, they are going to probably be bad for you in the (near) long run.

Disclaimer: I’m a shitty bencher.

With that said, assuming your goal is to move more weight and you are not focused on building size or something, i.e., you have power lifting goals, you can:

(1) Eat more;

(2) Improve your form;

(3) Stop thinking of the bench as a “chest exercise” and focus on using your whole body, specifically your lats, triceps, and legs;

(4) Work on building up your back and triceps;

(5) Bench a bunch.

Here is a link to a great bench series by Dave Tate:

articles.elitefts.com/features/so-you-think-you-can-bench-get-the-whole-series-here/

I’m just joining this thread because I saw both of you are in IL and I wanted to know where you’re both from, I’m in chicago

Chest-supported rows: grip exactly as you would your bench, arch your sternum, and move the exact same plane of motion in reverse.

Hit the lats hard: DB rows, smith rows, straight arm pulldowns, NG pulldowns…feel the contraction in your lats, hold it for about a sec on each rep

It is the lifters with weak backs or at least the ones who don’t know how to connect with it that you see having to drop the weight on their chests, bounce it off their belly and heave it back up.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Chest-supported rows: grip exactly as you would your bench, arch your sternum, and move the exact same plane of motion in reverse.

Hit the lats hard: DB rows, smith rows, straight arm pulldowns, NG pulldowns…feel the contraction in your lats, hold it for about a sec on each rep

It is the lifters with weak backs or at least the ones who don’t know how to connect with it that you see having to drop the weight on their chests, bounce it off their belly and heave it back up. [/quote]
QFT
A big bench means a big back. Row. Row. Then row some more.

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:
I’m just joining this thread because I saw both of you are in IL and I wanted to know where you’re both from, I’m in chicago[/quote]
I’m actually in the 'burbs, Wheaton to be exact. You?

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:
I’m just joining this thread because I saw both of you are in IL and I wanted to know where you’re both from, I’m in chicago[/quote]

Macomb, where WIU is. Small little place.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’m trying to get bigger and stronger, I’d like to hit over 300. For my body weight I’d say that’s pretty good, at least I like to think that lol.

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

It is the lifters with weak backs or at least the ones who don’t know how to connect with it that you see having to drop the weight on their chests, bounce it off their belly and heave it back up. [/quote]
QFT
[/quote]

My back is getting pretty solid, I do 255x8 for 3 sets of the cable rows, pullups, other various things.

[quote]Soybean wrote:

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

QFT
[/quote]

My back is getting pretty solid, I do 255x8 for 3 sets of the cable rows, pullups, other various things.
[/quote]

Numbers are not the most important factor with back work. Are you feeling it in your lats, rhomboids, etc.? Are you giving them ample time under tension?

There is more to be gained from doing lat pulldowns with only 80lbs, holding the squeeze in your lats for 1 sec at the bottom and really letting it stretch you out at the top feeling your lats the whole time. The way lats are engaged in a big bench press is in a state of absolute CONTROL. Heaving 300 lbs into your chest and calling it a row doesn’t really have as much benefit. (I’m not saying that’s what your doing, just making a point.)

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Numbers are not the most important factor with back work. Are you feeling it in your lats, rhomboids, etc.? Are you giving them ample time under tension?

There is more to be gained from doing lat pulldowns with only 80lbs, holding the squeeze in your lats for 1 sec at the bottom and really letting it stretch you out at the top feeling your lats the whole time. The way lats are engaged in a big bench press is in a state of absolute CONTROL. Heaving 300 lbs into your chest and calling it a row doesn’t really have as much benefit. (I’m not saying that’s what your doing, just making a point.) [/quote]

Well there’s probably more than one way to skin that cat, because I do the exact opposite lol. Back work is heavy as possible with plenty of body english.

Honestly the thing that will help your bench the most is getting heavier and older. As far as things you have more control over, I find the things that help my bench the most (besides the bench press itself obviously!) are closegrip bench, incline bench, and dips. In my experience flys and decline bench are worthless for strength (but good for bodybuilding).

Oh let me also add this, do overhead pressing as well, and also train the shit out of your triceps. Your triceps are virtually invincible, so on your tricep training days, really kill them.

Tuck your elbows, arching your back, squeezing shoulder blades, keep everything tight.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

There is more to be gained from doing lat pulldowns with only 80lbs, holding the squeeze in your lats for 1 sec at the bottom and really letting it stretch you out at the top feeling your lats the whole time. The way lats are engaged in a big bench press is in a state of absolute CONTROL. Heaving 300 lbs into your chest and calling it a row doesn’t really have as much benefit. (I’m not saying that’s what your doing, just making a point.) [/quote]

Well there’s probably more than one way to skin that cat, because I do the exact opposite lol. Back work is heavy as possible with plenty of body english.

Honestly the thing that will help your bench the most is getting heavier and older. As far as things you have more control over, I find the things that help my bench the most (besides the bench press itself obviously!) are closegrip bench, incline bench, and dips. In my experience flys and decline bench are worthless for strength (but good for bodybuilding).

Oh let me also add this, do overhead pressing as well, and also train the shit out of your triceps. Your triceps are virtually invincible, so on your tricep training days, really kill them.[/quote]
“Virtually invincible” may be an over statement…Having torn my right tri where it inserts into the elbow, it sucks. A work out of 150 flies and partials for 2 months is no fun…
Just sayin’…

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Oh let me also add this, do overhead pressing as well, and also train the shit out of your triceps. Your triceps are virtually invincible, so on your tricep training days, really kill them.[/quote]

I do like the decline press and I have heard from many people it is one of the best chest building exercises. Dorian Yates also does a lot of decline, but with steroids lol. I have always used good correct form in my lifts. I do focus a lot on my lats and they really get pumped up. My triceps do need some work though. Overhead pressing as in like a shoulder press? I have been slacking on my shoulder days since I used them 5 days a week at work and they get very tired and sore. Thanks for all the tips guys I really appreciate it.

Not to mention, overdoing the tris can lead to elbow problems.

[quote]Soybean wrote:

Macomb, where WIU is. Small little place. [/quote]

There’s a small chance I may end up there next year. Not my top choice, but beats some of the other options.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

[quote]Soybean wrote:

Macomb, where WIU is. Small little place. [/quote]

There’s a small chance I may end up there next year. Not my top choice, but beats some of the other options.[/quote]
Yeah? i like it here. I grew up here. People are nice not too big not too small. I’m going to SIU in the Fall. Gotta get a membership at Gold’s Gym or something.