Ways to Flavor Ground Beef

Hey guys, what are some spices/herbs that you use to make plain hamburger taste good? I have about 9lbs of 90% lean ground beef left and cayenne pepper/curry powder is getting extremely old. :confused: I’d be thankful for any ideas on how to spice this up.

Buy a few of those ‘taco seasoning’ packets you see in the ‘ethnic’ foods isle at your supermarket. Lotta sodium, but unless it’s an issue for you, I wouldn’t worry.

S

Grace brand Jerk sauce. I’ve been mixing it with ground Bison meat, check it out, nice flavour, but if you use too much, your asshole will burn next BM.

Blue cheese and black pepper burgers are awesome as well. Just get a half a handful of crumbled blue cheese and put it into each patty as your making them, then put some black pepper to taste on top and grill it up.

Also my very favorite recipe for meatloaf:

1 lb ground beef (I usually use bison meat here)
1/2 cup of sundried tomatoes (chopped)
1/4-1/2 cup of fresh chopped basil
1 egg
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
2 tbsp ketchup (optional)

The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs, I skip this or I ground up some oatmeal and put that in it’s place.
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Mix all the ingredients, form into a loaf and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.

The mix of sundried tomatoes and basil in the ground meat is superb. Great low-carb dinner. I usually use low-fat cheese to try and keep the calories down. If you’re not worried about calories or carbs I’d add the ketchup as it keeps things moister, but with the buffalo meat it tends to stay really moist anyways.

If you didn’t want to do the meatloaf I’m quite sure you could make sundried tomatoe and basil hamburger patties as well.

Hope you like it!

Greg

Great call on the Jerk Sauce. I second that one as well! If you can’t find the sauce you can just get jerk seasoning and mix it with Soy Sauce (should be direction on the seasoning for the mixing ratio), comes out the same.

Not to be a jerk but can I just say that ground beef tastes great by itself? I just don’t want ground beef to feel insecure.

Onions, garlic, jalapeños, a little salt and fresh ground black pepper.

If your going to use Hamburger, you might as well make a good chili. I make this every Sunday and usually get about 5 meals out of it. If I’m in a hurry I just use Hamburger,black beans, tomatoes and some chili powder.

* 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or extra lean ground beef
* 1 large sweet onion, diced
* 1 red bell pepper, diced
* 2 large cloves garlic, minced
* 1 small can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chile peppers
* 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
* 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
* 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder or more chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon leaf oregano
* dash chipotle chile powder, optional
* 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
* salt and pepper, to taste 

To keep it as simple as possibly, I do the following:

Add salsa (spicy one) to the pan when it’s almost browned and mix it in.

Chop veggies and cook the beef in with them. Add tomato sauce.

Manwich.

Here you go:

Ground beef/sirloin (however much you use, stick to 10-16oz for this recipe)
2 cups Baby Spinach
1/4 Cup Salsa
2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp Vinegar
.5-1 oz Cheddar Cheese
Season w/ salt, pepper, and chili pepper

CHile Verde sauce what waht!

Make it like italian sausage. In other words add fennel seeds, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and some onions. Did it last night and it was great.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Buy a few of those ‘taco seasoning’ packets you see in the ‘ethnic’ foods isle at your supermarket. Lotta sodium, but unless it’s an issue for you, I wouldn’t worry.

S[/quote]

my version of this, which i use quite often, is: chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and celery seed.

AS was mentioned above Taco seasoning is Awesome, I also use salsa, Garlic puré, Low carb ketchup, after is cooked put some shredded cheese on it :slight_smile: Cheeseburger taste (with some ketchup is awesome).

Mrs Dash

i got this recipe from gordon ramsay…

lets say 8 oz ground beef
about tsp of good dijon mustard or more
couple dashes of lea and perrins Worcestershire sauce
1/8 finely chopped onion
salt
pepper

shape into a hamburger…and cook it

you can put an egg yolk to bind it but i dont use one…

I just use the different Hamburger Helpers haha. Just switch out the noodles for some wheat ones (better for ya and better texture!) and use 1 1/2 lbs of beef/turkey. There’s so many different types you can make. Oh and always swap out the milk for water. So like if it calls for 2 cups of water and 1 cup of milk, just use 3 cups of water! ENJOY!

[quote]D Public wrote:
i got this recipe from gordon ramsay…

lets say 8 oz ground beef
about tsp of good dijon mustard or more
couple dashes of lea and perrins Worcestershire sauce
1/8 finely chopped onion
salt
pepper

shape into a hamburger…and cook it

you can put an egg yolk to bind it but i dont use one…

[/quote]

+1 on the Dijon. I use country style grey poupon as my secret weapon. A liberal amount along with fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder and paprika all mixed into the meat in a bowl before forming into patties. Remember, ground beef needs to be seasoned a lot to really carry the flavor.

For a change, go with salt, pepper, and dried mint. Also, you can make a plain burger patty and wrap it in a tortilla with fresh mint leaves. I don’t do it all the time, but it does come out nice.