T Nation

Waxy Maize Starch?

Anyone consume or know about waxy maize starch in place of dextrose or maltodextrin post workout?

I’ve been reading up on this stuff and it seems promising. Faster absorption long chain complex carbohydrate.

It sounds like really good stuff, but I haven’t tried it yet.

I read about it a little while ago, it sounds pretty good. It’s only a matter of time before there is either a) a David Barr article debunking it or b) Biotest using it in Surge.

Yeah, I’m actually currently using the stuff. I like it alright. I’m not really observant enough with this stuff to notice whether the recovery time is significantly different or not. I have been gaining strength as of late, but that could be a number of factors, as I went on a diet the same time I started using this stuff…

Anyway, I mix mine with water and creatine. The first day I nearly gagged on it. It took me a while to get it all down. Now that I’m not expecting it to be excessively sweet (in fact, it tastes what I’d imagine corn starch would taste like…just…bizarre, nothing good about it) I can down it quickly. It doesn’t even bother me at all anymore.