Wax- Serious Lyricist

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
How guys like Kanye West and Lil’ Wayne are millionaires while guys like this remain in obscurity is beyond me-

Then think harder. Seriously.

Hey Larry David, since you write comedies about nothing it makes sense that you like rap that doesn’t say shit. Have a good’n.[/quote]

Better to make a funny show about nothing than a shitty drama about something <-Your problem is you don’t get this. That song another poster linked to was awful. I’m sure his fans are the guys that complain about popular rappers being cliched, and yet that song was cliched-just not a hip hop cliche.

You really think a song like that is more moving, and well written than say, a song like “Roses”? - YouTube . You’ve got to be kidding me.

And being a good freestyle/battle rapper doesn’t make someone a good overall rapper. Sorry, no one knows if Big L would’ve been big if he got to sign with Roc-A-Fella. Same with this guy except he’s not in Big L’s league based on what you’ve shown. Echoing what others have said, he has no flow. This isn’t the 90s, he’s not getting away with that delivery if he wants to make it big.

But of course it’s the drooling masses. That’s it, Weezy and Kanye are popular because people are dumb. Oh yeah, and the music industry spoils everything, or is that excuse old now?

[quote]challer1 wrote:
That’s like asking why bodybuilding or powerlifting remains in obscurity while football players are millionaires. The only people who follow the former 2 competitions are mostly just people who are past or present amateurs themselves, while football is something nearly everyone can watch and enjoy.

Even if Wax was the best freestyler or rap battler ever, he would only appeal to people who like rap battles(not many), where people who make music have a chance to sell to everyone that listens to music (a lot of people). On top of that, most people who do like that sort of thing will watch it once or twice on youtube - they’re not going to buy it and put it on their ipod.

Writing a good song and putting on a good performance goes a lot more than stringing together a bunch of rhyming words. just look at kanye’s storytellers vid as an example:

Yeah, his voice sucks and he’s using an auto tuner, and the lyrics to heartless certainly aren’t spectacular, but it’s still a great performance. The whole is more than the sum of its parts.[/quote]

Great points.

Although 808s was great more for the sound to me, personally.

I enjoy listening to Wax and Herbal T. I’m glad he won that A1 steak sauce contest. Wax has got a good sense of humor about everything, which I respect.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
How guys like Kanye West and Lil’ Wayne are millionaires while guys like this remain in obscurity is beyond me-

Then think harder. Seriously.

Hey Larry David, since you write comedies about nothing it makes sense that you like rap that doesn’t say shit. Have a good’n.

Better to make a funny show about nothing than a shitty drama about something <-Your problem is you don’t get this. That song another poster linked to was awful. I’m sure his fans are the guys that complain about popular rappers being cliched, and yet that song was cliched-just not a hip hop cliche.

You really think a song like that is more moving, and well written than say, a song like “Roses”? - YouTube . You’ve got to be kidding me.

And being a good freestyle/battle rapper doesn’t make someone a good overall rapper. Sorry, no one knows if Big L would’ve been big if he got to sign with Roc-A-Fella. Same with this guy except he’s not in Big L’s league based on what you’ve shown. Echoing what others have said, he has no flow. This isn’t the 90s, he’s not getting away with that delivery if he wants to make it big.

But of course it’s the drooling masses. That’s it, Weezy and Kanye are popular because people are dumb. Oh yeah, and the music industry spoils everything, or is that excuse old now?
[/quote]

I understand the concept fully, but what you don’t get is the guys I mentioned aren’t making good music about nothing, they’re just making shitty music. I actually have Wests 2nd album [inherited it somehow] and have listened to it all the way through. Aside from the song with Paul Wall and the Ray Charles sampled song that’s not Golddigger the album sucked, and even those two were just ok. And though I detected your sarcasm I’m gonna agree that people like West and Wayne for the reason you stated.

I didn’t read all of the posts here, so I’m sorry if I’m just repeating what someone else has already said, but the line about two minutes in, “they ain’t seen a cracker this flavorful since Ritz came out”, is hilarious. This guy’s pretty dope.

Fuck that shit. If you want real music, check this out.

http://www.break.com/...io-1303371.html

The guy in the OP’s link was pretty good, but to be honest, he’s not rich and famous for the same reason that shitty actors make it big while good actors never get there big break. The world aint fair. You gotta make your own opportunities, cause nobody’s gonna bend over and give you a chance/give you a record deal. Know-wud-i-mean?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

I understand the concept fully, but what you don’t get is the guys I mentioned aren’t making good music about nothing, they’re just making shitty music. I actually have Wests 2nd album [inherited it somehow] and have listened to it all the way through. Aside from the song with Paul Wall and the Ray Charles sampled song that’s not Golddigger the album sucked, and even those two were just ok. And though I detected your sarcasm I’m gonna agree that people like West and Wayne for the reason you stated.

No, they’re not making shitty music. They’re just making music YOU don’t like. And then comes the assumption that since you don’t see the appeal in rappers like Lil Wayne and Kanye West, it’s must be that EVERYBODY ELSE must have a problem, or that the poisonous music industry is to blame.

It’s not that everyone else isn’t smart enough. Maybe people don’t always want to be tested intellectually all the time (or at all) when they listen to music. Personally, I do not listen to music to learn something- I read for that. Lil Wayne’s got some corny punchlines, but it all fits into the aesthetic well. He’s lazy, most likely high, and his unpredictable flow and rhymes fit that perfectly. And he does in fact have some punchlines that make me laugh out loud. Kind of an idiot savant appeal. He raps about nothing in particular, but it’s fun. Not to mention he knows how to make a good beat a popular song (in other words, he knows how to SOUND good over a beat- important since people LISTEN to music). Because Freeway had great production too.

And you ARE right about Kanye not making music about nothing. Sorry if you don’t find his music all that great, but the song you linked is a perfect example of why Kanye’s more famous than a lot of these underground guys. I gave that song an honest effort, I listened to it 4 times, and the lyrics were handily posted in the video description as well. Both songs deal with similar subject matter, but I can actually display some empathy towards West’s song. “Roses” actually sounds like what I would’ve thought in that situation, albeit better than I could’ve written it into a song. The song you posted had the rapper going off on all sort’s of [inconclusive] tangents that I cannot relate to, and as far as an overall message it didn’t have anything “Roses” didn’t have. It’s pretty obvious that more people are going to like “Roses” and it has nothing to do with intelligence. That’s why Kanye’s popular.

And the argument about the music industry isn’t gonna work either. it’s 2009, hell this decade’s almost over and the industry is reeling. If the music industry has been pushing bad music and keeping good music away, why hasn’t anything changed in the popular music scene with the internet opening avenues to artists that hadn’t been there before? Why aren’t these revolutionary artists springing up everywhere, now that they aren’t restricted to radio/MTV airplay for publicity? I can think of a few artists that got popular through online hype alone and they are guys no one would call “artistic” or “revolutionary”. In the U.K. the Arctic Monkeys got big online first and then went mainstream, but they sounded like a combination of all the popular guitar bands of the past 5 years. Lil Wayne was always known, but he only became massive after a wave of GREAT mixtapes and a lot of guest appearances on songs/remixes. There wasn’t any old media hype. Tha Carter 2 undersold, if anything it looked like he was on the way down before he started doing a lot of mixtapes. People overrate the music industry’s power and underrate it’s ability to find good music, and it’s always people who don’t really know much about the biz other than the nasty stories they hear.

BTW, is the other Kanye song you’re talking about “Gone”? That is one of the better songs on the album but if I recall correctly it’s an Otis Redding sample. If you’re talking about another sample my bad, I’m not a soul music buff. And Gold Digger was sick, second verse scares the shit out of me.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

No, they’re not making shitty music. They’re just making music YOU don’t like. And then comes the assumption that since you don’t see the appeal in rappers like Lil Wayne and Kanye West, it’s must be that EVERYBODY ELSE must have a problem, or that the poisonous music industry is to blame.

It’s not that everyone else isn’t smart enough. Maybe people don’t always want to be tested intellectually all the time (or at all) when they listen to music. Personally, I do not listen to music to learn something- I read for that. Lil Wayne’s got some corny punchlines, but it all fits into the aesthetic well. He’s lazy, most likely high, and his unpredictable flow and rhymes fit that perfectly. And he does in fact have some punchlines that make me laugh out loud. Kind of an idiot savant appeal. He raps about nothing in particular, but it’s fun. Not to mention he knows how to make a good beat a popular song (in other words, he knows how to SOUND good over a beat- important since people LISTEN to music). Because Freeway had great production too.

And you ARE right about Kanye not making music about nothing. Sorry if you don’t find his music all that great, but the song you linked is a perfect example of why Kanye’s more famous than a lot of these underground guys. I gave that song an honest effort, I listened to it 4 times, and the lyrics were handily posted in the video description as well. Both songs deal with similar subject matter, but I can actually display some empathy towards West’s song. “Roses” actually sounds like what I would’ve thought in that situation, albeit better than I could’ve written it into a song. The song you posted had the rapper going off on all sort’s of [inconclusive] tangents that I cannot relate to, and as far as an overall message it didn’t have anything “Roses” didn’t have. It’s pretty obvious that more people are going to like “Roses” and it has nothing to do with intelligence. That’s why Kanye’s popular.

And the argument about the music industry isn’t gonna work either. it’s 2009, hell this decade’s almost over and the industry is reeling. If the music industry has been pushing bad music and keeping good music away, why hasn’t anything changed in the popular music scene with the internet opening avenues to artists that hadn’t been there before? Why aren’t these revolutionary artists springing up everywhere, now that they aren’t restricted to radio/MTV airplay for publicity? I can think of a few artists that got popular through online hype alone and they are guys no one would call “artistic” or “revolutionary”. In the U.K. the Arctic Monkeys got big online first and then went mainstream, but they sounded like a combination of all the popular guitar bands of the past 5 years. Lil Wayne was always known, but he only became massive after a wave of GREAT mixtapes and a lot of guest appearances on songs/remixes. There wasn’t any old media hype. Tha Carter 2 undersold, if anything it looked like he was on the way down before he started doing a lot of mixtapes. People overrate the music industry’s power and underrate it’s ability to find good music, and it’s always people who don’t really know much about the biz other than the nasty stories they hear.

BTW, is the other Kanye song you’re talking about “Gone”? That is one of the better songs on the album but if I recall correctly it’s an Otis Redding sample. If you’re talking about another sample my bad, I’m not a soul music buff. And Gold Digger was sick, second verse scares the shit out of me. [/quote]

Great avatar AND a great post.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

Because Freeway had great production too.
[/quote]

Music is music, so listen to what you like. But give me a Freeway track any day over Kanye or Lil Wayne.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

Great avatar AND a great post.[/quote]

Thanks.

[quote]SBT wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:

Music is music, so listen to what you like. But give me a Freeway track any day over Kanye or Lil Wayne.

I won’t argue with that. If you think Freeway sounds better than Wayne/Ye that’s fine, I won’t attack you for having different taste. At least you’re not complaining about their popularity (from what I noticed).

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
SBT wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:

I won’t argue with that. If you think Freeway sounds better than Wayne/Ye that’s fine, I won’t attack you for having different taste. At least you’re not complaining about their popularity (from what I noticed). [/quote]

Nah, I just cry into my pillow at night wondering why they’re making it rain while my favorite artists are making Ramen.

[quote]SBT wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
SBT wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:

I won’t argue with that. If you think Freeway sounds better than Wayne/Ye that’s fine, I won’t attack you for having different taste. At least you’re not complaining about their popularity (from what I noticed).

Nah, I just cry into my pillow at night wondering why they’re making it rain while my favorite artists are making Ramen.[/quote]

ROFL

[quote]SBT wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
SBT wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:

Nah, I just cry into my pillow at night wondering why they’re making it rain while my favorite artists are making Ramen.[/quote]

LOL

Kanye, Wayne, and those posers all are willing to sell out. This dude and those like him never will. I actually love it that way because I don’t want “my music” being played in the suburbs. The kids that don’t want hard lyrics or actual messages in the songs can keep the studio boys. It is fucked up these dudes and chicks wont make fame, but again real art can never be purchased. Music of any genre, the ones on the radio are often the bottom of the barrel. What separates them is promoting,luck, or a connect.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Kanye, Wayne, and those posers all are willing to sell out. This dude and those like him never will. I actually love it that way because I don’t want “my music” being played in the suburbs. The kids that don’t want hard lyrics or actual messages in the songs can keep the studio boys. It is fucked up these dudes and chicks wont make fame, but again real art can never be purchased. Music of any genre, the ones on the radio are often the bottom of the barrel. What separates them is promoting,luck, or a connect.

[/quote]

Its not even worth it. Take this shit over to the Kanye thread.

weak voice, weak appearance, poor delivery,

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[/quote]

No. Just no.