Wave Loading Squats

So, right now my program is asking me to Wave Load Squats doing the 5/1/5/1 method. My question is out of safety, I want to try doing Box Squats instead of regular squats, because doing the 1 rep sets might backfire on me, hardly anyone comes to the gym I go to while I do my Squat Session. Is this a good alternative?

Lot’s of things can go wrong when you perform your 1RM for the squat. Especially if it is your true 1 rep max.

I’m curious, what program would be asking you to perform you 1RM on a regular basis? What’s the goal of this program?

I would set up the safety bars in the squat rack and practise dumping the weight a couple of times.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Lot’s of things can go wrong when you perform your 1RM for the squat. Especially if it is your true 1 rep max.

I’m curious, what program would be asking you to perform you 1RM on a regular basis? What’s the goal of this program?

I would set up the safety bars in the squat rack and practise dumping the weight a couple of times.[/quote]

yah–I’m not sure that they are asking for 1rm. Most I’ve used are in the 90% range. It is more of a neurological stimuli than trying to do a max rep. Theoretically, this should lead you to a higher weight on your 5 lift than testing max strength.

As a side note. Anyone squatting should use the safety bars. I’ve seen strange shit happen even in sets of 10. It may be embarrassing if you have to unload, but that is overcome much easier than a wrenched back or torn ligament.

Looks similar to the New Rules of Lifting book, that kind of rep/set scheme.

I say just set the safety pins in the proper place, also box squats seem like a fine alternative to me.

I’m using the limping series by Ian King, it’s Limping into December Part I, that calls for the wave loading.

I’m using the limping series by Ian King, it’s Limping into December Part I, that calls for the wave loading.