T Nation

Wave Loading: Hitting 2RM on Second Wave, CNS Stress?

Hello Thib,

As a 1B I find the 5x5 straight sets extremely boring and wanted to try your 6/4/2 loading instead. However one thing I got confused on is the loading.

It seems that on the last 2 reps of the second wave, you’re supposed to hit your 2 rep max. Wouldn’t this be very neurally taxing to do every week, especially if you’re also 3 rep maxing on the same lift in another day? Or is there a better way to adjust the waves so it serves as a strength/hypertrophy tool to feed the rep maxes later on the week?

Thanks a lot!

It depends what type of 2RM we are talking about. If we are talking training 2RM: the heaviest weight you can lift with good form and without having to psych yourself up, no, it will not drain you especially if you are a 1B. Excess volume i much worse for a 1B.

If we are talking about an a-out 2RM where there is a lot of grinding and break of form to get the weight up, then yeah, it will hurt recovery.

That’s the one thing that people don’t get: in TRAINING you should never go to that “almost killing yourself to get that last rep” zone on big lifts. In TESTING or COMPETING you can and should. But in training all your reps should be solid and crisp. So a “2RM” done this way is likely 5% (or even 10%) lower than your true 2RM.

I get it. I always have that ''I need to improve the big lifts on a weekly mindset", whether increase the weight or the reps, so after some time the weights get heavier and naturally I start grinding.

How would you progress without grinding or all out, would it come naturally?

Thanks a lot again!

That is simply impossible.

A 1 rep increase represent a 2% improvement. So if you squat 400lbs a 1 rep gain is similar to adding 8lbs to the bar. So either getting one more rep or adding 5-10lbs to the bar every week would mean gaining anywhere between 250 to 400lbs on a lift in a year… as you can see, it is completely impossible. And with that mindset you risk burning yourself out or starting to have form degradation just to get the numbers up.

I see, thanks a lot. It’s something that’s left after running linear progression programs like Texas method for a long time.