T Nation

Watermelon

Howdy,

I cant remember where I read this, but I read not too along ago that Watermelon is a very powerful diuretic and that sometimes trainers will prescribe a diet of watermelon only for a couple days to flush out extra subcutaneous water.

I cant stand watermelon, but I wondered if anyone on here and heard or done anything similar. The reason I came across it was in a discussion about stubborn fat deposits and one person in the discussion brought this up…

Josh

Well I’m not to sure about watermelon being a diaeretic, but I am able to eat whole watermelons at a time without any affects what so ever.

best fruit in the planet

i believe it is a diuretic.

It is commonly accepted as a diuretic, anecdotally I have seen it work very well.

Name: Watermelon
Biological Name: Citrulli vulgaris
Cucurbitaceae

Other Names: Watermelon, Xi gua
Parts Used: Fruit, rind, seeds
Remedies For:
Diuretic, antipyretic.

Watermelon is useful for symptoms of overexposure to heat. For this, the rind should also be consumed. The ground seeds are an excellent diuretic and can also be used for urinary tract infections.

Dosage:
9-30 grams; I or 2 cups of the fresh juice is the best

[quote]EnTransit wrote:

I cant stand watermelon

Josh[/quote]

You are the first I’ve ever heard say this. Watermelon kicks ass.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
EnTransit wrote:

I cant stand watermelon

Josh

You are the first I’ve ever heard say this. Watermelon kicks ass.[/quote]

Yeah really, what’s the matter with you?

Can you not stand sex either?

How about boobs?

Breathing?

Watermelon falls into the same category as those things. The “what’s not to love?” category.

Just make sure that you know how to eat it properly: http://www.glumbert.com/media/watermelon.html

I know for one that I cannot stand watermelon, but my favorite fruit is PB/Cottage Cheese/Tuna shakes.

[quote]EnTransit wrote:
Howdy,

I cant remember where I read this, but I read not too along ago that Watermelon is a very powerful diuretic and that sometimes trainers will prescribe a diet of watermelon only for a couple days to flush out extra subcutaneous water.

I cant stand watermelon, but I wondered if anyone on here and heard or done anything similar. The reason I came across it was in a discussion about stubborn fat deposits and one person in the discussion brought this up…

Josh[/quote]
i don’t know if you know abouit this but the best watermelons in the planet are grown in my country from thhe east side of the country place called DIYARBAKIR also has the guiness record as the biggest watermelon which lasts about 2 months.and they are just deliicious

Dandelion root is a better diuretic than watermelon. But watermelon tastes awesome. I love watermelon.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
I know for one that I cannot stand watermelon, but my favorite fruit is PB/Cottage Cheese/Tuna shakes.[/quote]

Oh I’m sure you’re not the only one on here. But wait, you forgot the Metabolic Drive!!!

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
I know for one that I cannot stand watermelon, but my favorite fruit is PB/Cottage Cheese/Tuna shakes.[/quote]

You’re sick.

I prefer my tuna omlettes.

[quote]propane_sk wrote:
Josh
i don’t know if you know abouit this but the best watermelons in the planet are grown in my country[/quote]

You’re from Spain too!?!? Yeah man, we have some fantastic watermelons in Spain. I’ve never heard of your town, though.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
EnTransit wrote:

I cant stand watermelon

Josh

You are the first I’ve ever heard say this. Watermelon kicks ass.

Yeah really, what’s the matter with you?

Can you not stand sex either?

How about boobs?

Breathing?

Watermelon falls into the same category as those things. The “what’s not to love?” category.[/quote]

:slight_smile: I got to agree. laters pk

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Dandelion root is a better diuretic than watermelon. But watermelon tastes awesome. I love watermelon.[/quote]

I have to agree about dandelion root. If you do use start low and increase your dosage over 3 days. the third day is the day I see the best results.

[quote]jdepron wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Dandelion root is a better diuretic than watermelon. But watermelon tastes awesome. I love watermelon.

I have to agree about dandelion root. If you do use start low and increase your dosage over 3 days. the third day is the day I see the best results.[/quote]

Yea, usually I go out the first week of summer and eat 1/4 of the dandelions in my yard. Then I start ramping up after the first 3 days and go to 1/2 yard, then full yard finally on day 7. My yard is 2.5 acres, so that means I weigh about 200. You should adjust your numbers accordingly.

Seriously though, dandelion has been touted for quite some time, I’d try that before eating a whole watermelon.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
jdepron wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Dandelion root is a better diuretic than watermelon. But watermelon tastes awesome. I love watermelon.

I have to agree about dandelion root. If you do use start low and increase your dosage over 3 days. the third day is the day I see the best results.

Yea, usually I go out the first week of summer and eat 1/4 of the dandelions in my yard. Then I start ramping up after the first 3 days and go to 1/2 yard, then full yard finally on day 7. My yard is 2.5 acres, so that means I weigh about 200. You should adjust your numbers accordingly.

Seriously though, dandelion has been touted for quite some time, I’d try that before eating a whole watermelon.[/quote]

you don’t happen to be part goat?