Waterbury's Workout

Hi all,

My goal is to gain 20 - 30 lbs of LBM no matter how long it takes. I decided to go with Waterbury’s programs, since it gives good results to a lot of people. I emailed him, and he recommended me to follow his programs in this order:
ABBH I
ABBH II
TTT
QD
TBT

My question is: does Chad believe that we need to take time off after lifting for 2 or 3 months? If he does, after which program did he suggest we take time off?

My second question is this: I’m planning to start cutting after the QD. I will be using MAG-10 during QD, and realize I have to solidify my gains for about two weeks after using them. Do you recommend using TBT during that time? Can I go straight to NB3 and start cutting after 2 weeks of TBT? Thanks so much!!

I don’t remember CW(or anyone for that matter) recommending taking months off training. You’ll loose most of your strength and a good deal of mass. Taking two weeks off is probably the most you could do(but I still wouldn’t).

As a general rule you shouldn’t ever completely stop working out, just have a GPP week and then a light week and you’ll get all the rest you need.

Also considering that CW’s workouts never take you to failure your body isn’t going to need more than a week or so of rest(+gpp of course).

He said take time off after a few months, not for a few months. Personally, I think a week off or at least an unloading week every eight weeks or so is agood idea, but it depends how I’m feeling.

As far as the 2nd question, I’m a bit confused. You emphasize that your goal is to put on mass then right away you start talking about cutting. Sounds contradictory to me. Beleive it not, you will not die if you can’t see your six-pac for a few months.

kurnia38,

I never hurts to take 5-7 days off after a few months of intense training. Usually, this unloading period doesn’t have to be planned due to the stressors of life (i.e, missed workouts are usually inevitable).

Yes, you can immediately start cutting after QD or TBT is finished. The NB3 is advisable since it has a lower volume, therefore, recovery is already built in.

[quote]w2097 wrote:
I don’t remember CW(or anyone for that matter) recommending taking months off training. You’ll loose most of your strength and a good deal of mass. Taking two weeks off is probably the most you could do(but I still wouldn’t).

As a general rule you shouldn’t ever completely stop working out, just have a GPP week and then a light week and you’ll get all the rest you need.

Also considering that CW’s workouts never take you to failure your body isn’t going to need more than a week or so of rest(+gpp of course).
[/quote]

w2097,

Thanks for the recommendation. Btw, I didn’t say months off after training… I said time off after months of training… :slight_smile: Lowery recommends doing that for a week off after 2 months of training, but he also advocates emphasizing eccentric parts of the exercises which are more stressful to the CNS and recovery. That’s why I was wondering, for Chad’s workout, which doesn’t go to failure, do we still need that… :slight_smile:

[quote]SKman wrote:
He said take time off after a few months, not for a few months. Personally, I think a week off or at least an unloading week every eight weeks or so is agood idea, but it depends how I’m feeling.

As far as the 2nd question, I’m a bit confused. You emphasize that your goal is to put on mass then right away you start talking about cutting. Sounds contradictory to me. Beleive it not, you will not die if you can’t see your six-pac for a few months.[/quote]

Skman,

Thanks for the recommendation too.

For the 2nd questions, I’m planning to start cutting AFTER QD, which means after ABBH I, followed by ABBH II, TBT and then QD. Right now, I’m halfway in ABBH I, and I’m planning to keep eating hypercaloric until I get to QD. Once I get to QD, which is about 4 months of bulking, it’s time for me to cut. I’m wondering about how soon I need to cut, since I thought I have to solidify my gains for about two weeks after taking MAG-10?

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
kurnia38,

I never hurts to take 5-7 days off after a few months of intense training. Usually, this unloading period doesn’t have to be planned due to the stressors of life (i.e, missed workouts are usually inevitable).

Yes, you can immediately start cutting after QD or TBT is finished. The NB3 is advisable since it has a lower volume, therefore, recovery is already built in.

[/quote]

Chad,

Thanks so much for the answers. After you take a week off let’s say, when you go back to lifting again, how much submaximally should I bring back the weight to? I was thinking about using 90% of the weights I usually use and build back up to the weights I used before taking time off in 2 or 3 sessions?

I am under the impression that we should still be in hypercaloric state for about two weeks after finishing MAG-10 cycle. Am I wrong? If I go straight to NB3, I have to be in hypocaloric state, right? Won’t I lose the muscle I just gained, if I go straight from bulking to cutting?

I apologize in advance if the questions have been asked before. Thanks again!!

kurnia38,

No need to drop the weights back to 90% of what you were performing. Most trainees gain strength after a short, 5-7 day layoff from 2 months of intense training.

You won’t lose muscle going into a cutting phase with NB3. The program is excellent to maintain size. As long as your protein intake is high, and you’re following proper post-workout nutrition, you won’t lose muscle.