T Nation

Waterbury's New Frontier

Hey guys. So, I've gotten access to a gym again and will start Chad Waterbury's "New Frontier" program next week. http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=905832
A lot of people have had good success with it and I want to give it a shot.

My question is this: How do I determine how much weight to use on each exercise? Waterbury writes that, on day 1 for example, I am supposed to be doing 4 sets of 6 reps with a load of 8 RM.

How do I figure this out? Am I supposed to beforehand go through all the exercises listed for that day and find out what my 8 RM is for each of them? This seems like it would take a long time to determine, as each day the workout is different as are the parameters. I would have to spend a week in the gym just trying to figure out how much weight to use for all these different days.

I was at the gym today trying to determine my max for a couple different exercises. I started with bench, found that my 1 RM is about 215. Starting doing the math...got confused.

I then tried to find my 1 RM on bent-over rows and realized that I had tired myself out a bit from the bench and wouldn't be getting a very accurate read. So, now I'm confused. Not quite sure how to go about this. This program is complicated and I want to be sure I'm using the right amount of weight so I'm not wasting my time.

Any thoughts? Hopefully that all made sense.

Thanks for the help.

If you don't have a detailed training log, then you're going to be stuck with trial and error for each lift.

I print out my intended workout (exercises, sets, reps & weight) and correct the numbers depending on whether I succeed or fail. After my workout, I transfer the info to my log in an Excel file. You can even use Notepad, Wordpad, Word or even a typewriter if you don't have access to Excel. The point is to have a legible record that you can use to track your progress and plan your workout with.

Back to your situation. For the first week you're going to have to wing it and guess. Write down your numbers and Google a 1RM calculator and adjust from there for the 2nd week. Don't expect the numbers from the calculator to be accurate since everyone's work capacity is different. It will only give you a rough guesstimate. That's why you need a log so you can figure out how much you lift for each particular exercise based on your own lifting history.

Hope this helps.

This is a good way to do it. I personally just use a notebook for my log. With that being said this is a pretty advanced program with a very high workload. The numbers are estimants. If you don't know roughly how much you can lift for six reps it maybe that you might wanna try something like TBT or ABBH to start off.