Waterbury Wednesday/Thursday

C’Dub,
What’s your thoughts on Thibs suggestions on the tip of the day. It seems that the same dogma is lingering…

“while performing very little work in the hypertrophy zones (6-12 reps). Also, he should avoid going to failure, reduce eccentric (negative) training,”

We use all three of these concepts in your programs to ADD mass… crazy world.

DH

[quote]Rololicious wrote:
Hey Chad,

I love your programs. I’m currently two workouts away from finishing your VOS program for squats, and I must say I really like hitting squats this way. One question though, my hip flexors are taking a beating, and after finishing the program and retesting after a week off from squatting, what can I do to strengthen them without losing anything on the squat? Is strengthening my hip flexors a good idea? Currently I am using recovery techniques including stretching, massage, ice and stretching hams, but I wonder if it may be advisable to take my frequency down on the squats and work the hip flexors and single leg exercises for a while?

My primary goal right now is upping my squat; I don’t want to lose any of the strength increases from VOS.

Thank you,
Rolo
[/quote]

Glad you like the program! You’re right, it can really beat up the musculature in question. Your recovery techniques are right on, but are you being adamant about performing them on a daily basis? I hope so.

You don’t need to focus on increasing our hip flexor strength (in fact, very few trainees have weak hip flexors). Contrary, most trainees have extremely tight hip flexors that hinders force production. Once VOS is finished, take 4-5 days off from any movement that taxes the hip flexors. During this time, stretch the hell out of them, ice massage, and deep tissue massage. You’ll be surprised how your hip flexor strength will rebound once they have time to adapt and lengthen.

[quote]Ronrat7 wrote:
Chad,

Do you think a person who posseses many of the “hardgainer” characteristics would be able to maximize hypertrophy on your total Body Training regimine?

With the exception of being tall…I’m 5’5, I have all the characteristics (short muscle bellies, slow recovery, small-ass wrists, etc) and have a devils time making any noticable gains even after 10 years of training.

Have you ever trained the “hardgainer” type before? If so, what did you differently (if anything)? My main goal is hypertrophy and I’m 37 (if that helps).

I’d really appreciate some insight.

Thank you,

R[/quote]

First, off hardgainer types absolutely excel on the TBT program! I’ve found that hardgaining individuals really increase strength/size when they train more often. Since the TBT program is aimed at training the primary muscle groups 3x/week, it works wonders.

Have I ever trained a hardgainer? Dude, is that a trick question? Of course I have! The biggest obstacle - over training parameters - is caloric ingestion. Hardgainers must eat everything under the sun and really take advantage of post-workout carb/protein ingestion (listen to my audio interview for guidelines).

Also, I often push hardgainers a little closer to failure, compared to other body types.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
The first person to tell me who’s posing on the red carpet in the following pic gets a big prize.

The prize? I’ll send you naked pics of Barr and Berardi riding on a Shetland Pony! [/quote]

Guesses…anyone? Bueller…Bueller?

My 1RM in the full squat is 500lbs.

[quote]j62usa wrote:
Chad, two questions for you

1. what is your best program to follow while on a modified T-Dawg 2.0 diet, Im 21 looking to lose about ten pounds of fat and am consuming about 100-120 G of carbs, but with your workouts it seems like i need alot more (the deadlift days are killer following the 10x3 methods)

2. i would like to try your Quatro Dynamo program in late summer and was wondering if it could be done givin no more MAG-10. should i get supps. like Alpha Male, ZMA, Methoxy-7, etc. or is my natural testosterone production enough at my age where i could just eat enough and see the same amounts of gains. also on a side note i would like to try to through in your tip of using close grip bench lockouts into my workouts but am not sure were or how to use them. thanks, your workouts are KILLER.[/quote]

If you’ve been training for less than one year, I’d recommend Next Big 3. If you’re beyond novice, go for Triple Total Training.

You could probably succeed on QD without too many supplements (if your diet is in order). But don’t skimp on Surge, creatine, or healthy fats (6-9 grams/day). After that, I’d recommended Alpha Male and Carbolin 19 along with ZMA and Spike.

Hey Chad,

I’m starting BBB this week, but I have a problem. Because of my job, I only have 3 days a week available to work out, and BBB is a 4 workout/week program. I definitley want to focus on the upper body, so should I just eliminate one of the leg workouts or modify it? Or should I do another program?

Also, after the first week, does BBB follow the same pattern as ABBH, ie. increase the volume on 8x3 days and increase load on 3x8 days?

Christina Ricci…but I respectfully turn down my prize.

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
C’Dub,
What’s your thoughts on Thibs suggestions on the tip of the day. It seems that the same dogma is lingering…

“while performing very little work in the hypertrophy zones (6-12 reps). Also, he should avoid going to failure, reduce eccentric (negative) training,”

We use all three of these concepts in your programs to ADD mass… crazy world.

DH[/quote]

It’s all about volume, my friend…all about volume.

I agree with his recommendations. The difference between my recommendations and his? Volume (did I mention that)?

For strength w/o hypertrophy and a set/rep volume of 9-15, hypertrophy will not ensue. Contrary, if you bumped the set/rep volume up to 24-36, it would occur (providing enough calories are ingested). Oh yeah, volume and CALORIES are what really matter.

Chad, I have a problem in that I have been pulling my right calf muscle when I run sprints. More precisely, it is the soleus muscle or where the achilles attaches to the soleus. I have tried doing the standard stretches for the calf muscles and continue to be plagued with the same problem. I don’t usually do strenght work for the calves because I run sprints and bleachers twice a week and my calves are as big as I want them to be. I am thinking of doing calf work again in the hope that it may help the problem or stretch the calf muscle in ways that standard stretching does not seem to do. Any insight into the problem would be appeciated.

One insight that I would like to share with you is that I had a problem of pulling my upper hamstring where it attaches to the glute for years. The only leg work I did besides running was deep squats and I have pretty good leg development from that. But I began to do reverse hypers and a couple of other exercises that target the hamsas it functions as an upper leg extensor and that seemed to be the panacea that I was hoping for.

Coach,
I’d like your opinion on my training philosophy. I currently train using the Westside template.

My goal is to build a good strength base and then use this base to go towards a more hypertrophy oriented program. I also like to include some strength-speed work by including variations of Oly movements on DE days. Once I’m able to reach my mass goals, I’d alternate between strength and repetition routines.

Do you think this approach is sound?

As a side question, I currently feel that I need to increase my LBM rather than solely concentrating on strength and ME exercises. There are two approaches that I’m considering:

• Use the accessory exercises in the right set/rep range (3-4 sets of 6-12 reps) to gain muscle mass. How would I manipulate the number and types of exercises to avoid burnout?
  • Or, follow what Dave Tate recently mentioned in one of his articles. He was trying to increase LBM as well and opted to include 4-repetition based workouts (Monday-Thursday) and 2 DE days. Hence, he got rid of ME days for a couple of 3-week cycles.

What will be your suggestion?

Thanks in advance Chad.

Gary

[quote]general_lfl wrote:
My 1RM in the full squat is 500lbs.

[/quote]

Then I assume you’re using bands for active recovery? If so, perform 100 reps (4x25 or 2x50) on all your off days (days you don’t squat).

Chad Waterbury wrote:
The first person to tell me who’s posing on the red carpet in the following pic gets a big prize.

The prize? I’ll send you naked pics of Barr and Berardi riding on a Shetland Pony!

Guesses…anyone? Bueller…Bueller?[/quote]

Apparently nobody wants the DB and JB prize pics. But that is certainly my kind of “power rack”.

Alright guys, I’m outta here!

Chad Waterbury wrote:

The prize? I’ll send you naked pics of Barr and Berardi riding on a Shetland Pony!

The future Mrs. bino if I have anything to say about it.

And I don’t :frowning:

I’ll guess either Christina A. or your woman.

BTW-I hope you’re giving people the pictures where I’m riding on the front of the pony! Wait, that’s no good either…

The prize? I’ll send you naked pics of Barr and Berardi riding on a Shetland Pony! [/quote]

Chad Waterbury wrote:

Actually, that looks like Jenna Jameson with her hair dyed.

Why are you posting pictures of my girlfriend on here without my permission?

Jenna Jameson

Kuz and Watson2K5, you both win the prize!

Email me your PM so I can send out the salacious pics of the two “B’s” ASAP!

On second thought, I think I’ll just hold them as blackmail. That way, whenever I need a complex nutritional issue answered, I’ll get a response in a New York minute!