T Nation

Waterbury Wednesday/Thursday

So, I’ve been informed that some of my youthful indiscretions have resulted in offspring. Here’s a pic of my lil’ dude.

Okay, so maybe this is all fabricated.

Any questions for me???

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
So, I’ve been informed that some of my youthful indiscretions have resulted in offspring. Here’s a pic of my lil’ dude.

Any questions for me?

[/quote]

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:

Any questions for me?
[/quote]

I got one. Out of all of your rep schemes (10x3, 5x5 ect), which one would you prescribe for maximal strength gains in an athelete who doesn’t care about hypertrophy. I’m done screwing with my weight and I’m now looking for strength gains, if hypertrophy happens to be a side affect I wont care, but I’d like to train only for strength now. So which set/rep scheme would you suggest, and how much % of the 1rm would you use? Thanks a bunch.

Yeah, sure …

What are you up to these days? Anything new to report?

If you don’t care to get personal, then what’s next in your pipeline? What is your latest tip?

Finally, are you burnt out on replying to all of your old program posts? How many hours are there in an Arizona day? :wink:

Thanks,
BFG

I got one,

How long did it take you to achieve your status as one of the key trainers in the industry? I mean when did you start to gain recognition and aclaim and start to make good money?

Did you start out at a private gym or what??

I Just want some insight on the industry

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:

Any questions for me?

I got one. Out of all of your rep schemes (10x3, 5x5 ect), which one would you prescribe for maximal strength gains in an athelete who doesn’t care about hypertrophy. I’m done screwing with my weight and I’m now looking for strength gains, if hypertrophy happens to be a side affect I wont care, but I’d like to train only for strength now. So which set/rep scheme would you suggest, and how much % of the 1rm would you use? Thanks a bunch.

[/quote]

If you seek maximal strength without hypertrophy, you should strive for a set/rep volume of 9-15 with >85% of 1RM. This brief volume recommendation allows you to train each muscle group up to 4x/week without inducing overtraining (most of the time). Here’s a breakdown:

Day 1: 3x3 with 90% of 1RM
Day 2: 3x4 with 85% of 1RM
Day 3: Off
Day 4: 3x5 with 85% of 1RM
Day 5: Off
Day 6: 3x3 with 92.5% of 1RM
Day 7: Off

This breakdown is effective, but it’s also very advanced. I recommend you spread the aforementioned variables over the course of a week with 2-3 workouts/week, before moving towards 4x/week. You must use different exercises for every workout during the week!

[quote]BFG wrote:
Yeah, sure …

What are you up to these days? Anything new to report?

If you don’t care to get personal, then what’s next in your pipeline? What is your latest tip?

Finally, are you burnt out on replying to all of your old program posts? How many hours are there in an Arizona day? :wink:

Thanks,
BFG[/quote]

Oh man, you’ll have to wait for my next article! Actually, I’ve been experimenting with techniques that instantly boost performance for greater maximal strength performance.

Am I burnt? Nah, well, maybe some days. My day starts at 6AM and usually ends around 12-1AM. Not a lot of time to sleep, eh?

[quote]jeep69 wrote:
I got one,

How long did it take you to achieve your status as one of the key trainers in the industry? I mean when did you start to gain recognition and aclaim and start to make good money?

Did you start out at a private gym or what??

I Just want some insight on the industry[/quote]

My recognition began very early when I trained in Chicago. Luckily, I was surrounded by some influential people in this industry. Anyone who wants to “break through” in this industry should make all efforts to expose their ability to as many people as possible. If you’re good, they’ll notice, and they’ll tell others.

Building a reputation in a private gym is difficult. Just like a middle-aged horn dog at a Hooters, you must expose yourself!

Once you get established, the idea of being in the public eye ain’t so appealling. At that point, it’s recommended to start a private gym. That’s what I did.

My international recognition didn’t come until I started writing for T-mag. Thanks guys!

CW,
I’ve got some questions about twice a day training.

How long can 2x a day be part of a regular program without overtraining?

(ie. should I only lift 2 x day for 3 weeks, and then do 3 weeks of 1x day training?)

Also, how short/long should the 2nd session be?

(Right now, I’m keeping it 25-30 mins, high reps, similar to CT’s protocols from his E. European BB’g article.)

Here’s my current program:

Mon: 2 x day

1. Upper body 5-7 reps per set, at the gym (45 mins total workout)

2. 6-8 hours later; arms only, 8-12 reps per set, (20-30 mins total workout, 10 total work sets)

Tues: 1 x day
Lower body, 5-7 reps per set

Thurs: 2 x day
Same workouts as Monday

Sat: 1 x day
Same workout as Tuesday

Rest all other days, change program parameters every 3 weeks.

Any advice/changes?

The first person to tell me who’s posing on the red carpet in the following pic gets a big prize.

The prize? I’ll send you naked pics of Barr and Berardi riding on a Shetland Pony!

[quote]chunkylover56 wrote:
CW,
I’ve got some questions about twice a day training.

How long can 2x a day be part of a regular program without overtraining?

(ie. should I only lift 2 x day for 3 weeks, and then do 3 weeks of 1x day training?)

Also, how short/long should the 2nd session be?

(Right now, I’m keeping it 25-30 mins, high reps, similar to CT’s protocols from his E. European BB’g article.)

Here’s my current program:

Mon: 2 x day

1. Upper body 5-7 reps per set, at the gym (45 mins total workout)

2. 6-8 hours later; arms only, 8-12 reps per set, (20-30 mins total workout, 10 total work sets)

Tues: 1 x day
Lower body, 5-7 reps per set

Thurs: 2 x day
Same workouts as Monday

Sat: 1 x day
Same workout as Tuesday

Rest all other days, change program parameters every 3 weeks.

Any advice/changes?[/quote]

I like your program. Are you increasing your performance with each subsequent workout? If so, it’s right on track. You’re right, 3-4 weeks of this training is tough, but I’m a huge advocate of 2x/day training. I like to slowly decrease the amount of time spent on 1x/day training. Here’s an example:

Weeks 1-3: 2x/day, hit each body part 4x/week
Weeks 4-5: 1x/day, hit each body part 3x/week
Weeks 6-8: 2x/day, hit each body part 4x/week (2AM, 2PM sessions)
Week 9: 1x/day, hit each body part 4x/week

Oftentimes, it’s recommended to unload every 4-5 weeks. To unload, merely perform 60% of your initial volume or load.

Many thanks Chad.
Your workouts have lit a new fire in me.

Question: In ABBH & ABBH II you suggest/recommend chin-ups. Which hand placement do you advise; palms towards or palms away from face?

Hey Chad -

I started QD last Monday, and promptly hurt my knee doing the 5X3 squats. I don’t know what the problem is - I’m going to the doc next week if it don’t quit hurting.

Anyhow - Since squats are pretty much out of the question, Is there an alternative that I can use to work the quads?

Or should I just get some chrome dumbells and do Swiss Ball crunches?

[quote]orleans_rob wrote:
Many thanks Chad.
Your workouts have lit a new fire in me.

Question: In ABBH & ABBH II you suggest/recommend chin-ups. Which hand placement do you advise; palms towards or palms away from face?[/quote]

Chin-ups refer to a pull-up variation with a palms up (supinated) grip position. Any other variation isn’t a chin-up. Palms down (pronated) and palms facing each other (semi-supinated) both fall into the “pull-up” description.

Also, if you can’t perform chin-ups with the recommended parameters, perform pulldowns with a shoulder-width palms up grip instead.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Hey Chad -

I started QD last Monday, and promptly hurt my knee doing the 5X3 squats. I don’t know what the problem is - I’m going to the doc next week if it don’t quit hurting.

Anyhow - Since squats are pretty much out of the question, Is there an alternative that I can use to work the quads?

Or should I just get some chrome dumbells and do Swiss Ball crunches?[/quote]

This question is too vague to answer, here’s why.

Knee pain can occur from various problems, including quad, hip and hamstring issues. I could easily recommend that you perform romanian deads to minimize knee stress. But what if your pain is occuring from a hamstring problem? Such a recommendation would exacerbate the problem!

My advice? Stretch your quads, hips, hamstrings, and lower back. Use ice massage, and get some deep tissue work performed. Then, get your knee checked out if the pain persists. In the meantime, avoid training your legs.

Sorry, I know that isn’t specific, but that’s the best I can do without seeing you in person.

CW,

I want to use the band-through-belt squats that Dave Tate mentioned in one of his articles. The band I use provides about 50lbs. of variable resistance. What would be a good set/rep scheme for this exercise without a barbell load?

Hey Chad,

I love your programs. I’m currently two workouts away from finishing your VOS program for squats, and I must say I really like hitting squats this way. One question though, my hip flexors are taking a beating, and after finishing the program and retesting after a week off from squatting, what can I do to strengthen them without losing anything on the squat? Is strengthening my hip flexors a good idea? Currently I am using recovery techniques including stretching, massage, ice and stretching hams, but I wonder if it may be advisable to take my frequency down on the squats and work the hip flexors and single leg exercises for a while?

My primary goal right now is upping my squat; I don’t want to lose any of the strength increases from VOS.

Thank you,
Rolo

Chad,

Do you think a person who posseses many of the “hardgainer” characteristics would be able to maximize hypertrophy on your total Body Training regimine?

With the exception of being tall…I’m 5’5, I have all the characteristics (short muscle bellies, slow recovery, small-ass wrists, etc) and have a devils time making any noticable gains even after 10 years of training.

Have you ever trained the “hardgainer” type before? If so, what did you differently (if anything)? My main goal is hypertrophy and I’m 37 (if that helps).

I’d really appreciate some insight.

Thank you,

R

Chad, two questions for you

1. what is your best program to follow while on a modified T-Dawg 2.0 diet, Im 21 looking to lose about ten pounds of fat and am consuming about 100-120 G of carbs, but with your workouts it seems like i need alot more (the deadlift days are killer following the 10x3 methods)

2. i would like to try your Quatro Dynamo program in late summer and was wondering if it could be done givin no more MAG-10. should i get supps. like Alpha Male, ZMA, Methoxy-7, etc. or is my natural testosterone production enough at my age where i could just eat enough and see the same amounts of gains. also on a side note i would like to try to through in your tip of using close grip bench lockouts into my workouts but am not sure were or how to use them. thanks, your workouts are KILLER.

[quote]general_lfl wrote:
CW,

I want to use the band-through-belt squats that Dave Tate mentioned in one of his articles. The band I use provides about 50lbs. of variable resistance. What would be a good set/rep scheme for this exercise without a barbell load?[/quote]

What’s your 1RM with the full squat? All I need is an estimate.