Waterbury Summer Project

I was just wondering why ABBH and the Waterbury summer project don’t have any direct bicep or tricep exercises? I was going to start WSP with a friend but he is reluctant to try (anything new for that matter) because of the lack of the above mentioned exercises.

I was interested in the Waterbury Method too but i figure “summer project” is what i may want to do the most, since I am interested in basically just trying something different then the last minute barely planned out workouts I do and something to help lose some fat too. Let me know what u guys think. Thanks.

I’m on week 7 of WSP. There are some workouts where even if you might want to you won’t feel energetic enough to do isolation exercises. My experience has been that i don’t get “pumped” on this, but my arms have grown on this.

Waterbury’s said that he thinks the pressing and rowing movements will stimulate enough growth response to not need isolation. Have you looked at the discussion on his article?

Don’t worry about it.

WSP is an ass-kicker. There are going to be more than a few days when you want to puke halfway through. You could add arm work on some days, but I wouldn’t recommend it the first time through. It’s a lot of work as is.

Also, I just finished week 5, and even though I’ve lost about 15 lbs, my arms look bigger. I don’t measure my arms, so I don’t know if they ARE bigger, but they look that way.

Hey, are you using T Dawg diet? I am looking for a fat loss routine. 15 lbs in 5 weeks is impressive.

thanks for the responses guys that is what I said to my friends, that isolations won’t be necessary just look at what you have to do but they are morons that never want to try anything new or if they don’t leave the gym in immense pain they think it was all a waste.

To accomodate my a-hole friends i decided to to the Waterbury method first, did it today and of course the one friend complained and was quiet throughout the entire workout essentially thinking it was “bullshit” and his final comment before us leaving “do you think this did anything cause i don’t” - so i told him try it for 2 weeks at the end if u still think its B.S.

i’ll continue u go do something else and at the end of 6 weeks we’ll see who has a better body. Although he is bigger then me he hasn’t put on much mass or lost much of anything in quite some time.

Good thing about these Waterbury’s is i don’t need someone to train with!

I have used some of CW’s programs in the past and currently doing ABBH 1 then ABBH II.

I found that I made some good gains doing Chad’s Total body training programs, so trying a more traditional split of Upper and Lower body routines like those in his ABBH should be fun try.

Some people have found his programs to be awesome, others just find them to be ok. You really have to go threw the whole program and see how you feel.

I can say I have always made strength gains on CW’s programs. Though if your looking for a purely fat-loss program, you really need to look at your nutrition. I believe ABBH is not a great program for specifically losing weight. Though if you restict your calories you can turn it into one.

[quote]qwik3r2 wrote:
thanks for the responses guys that is what I said to my friends, that isolations won’t be necessary just look at what you have to do but they are morons that never want to try anything new or if they don’t leave the gym in immense pain they think it was all a waste.

To accomodate my a-hole friends i decided to to the Waterbury method first, did it today and of course the one friend complained and was quiet throughout the entire workout essentially thinking it was “bullshit” and his final comment before us leaving “do you think this did anything cause i don’t” - so i told him try it for 2 weeks at the end if u still think its B.S.

i’ll continue u go do something else and at the end of 6 weeks we’ll see who has a better body. Although he is bigger then me he hasn’t put on much mass or lost much of anything in quite some time.

Good thing about these Waterbury’s is i don’t need someone to train with! [/quote]

Just curious, but was he using girlie weight? Its been a while since I did the Waterbury Method, but I know I used weights that seriously challenged me and left the gym in a kiddie pool of my own sweat.

I have yet to do a Waterbury program that did not leave me looking like I had just gone for a dip in the pool. Sooo… up the weight and crush his soul?

[quote]DF85 wrote:
Hey, are you using T Dawg diet? I am looking for a fat loss routine. 15 lbs in 5 weeks is impressive.[/quote]

Well, keep in mind, 5-8 lbs of that is water, glycogen, etc.

I’m actually doing Joel Marion’s Cheater’s Diet. I’m sure T-Dawg would work fine, but I prefer the variety of CD. It’s more of a carb-cycling diet.

If you search the site, you’ll find an article called The Cheater’s Diet, but the diet I’m on is different. I volunteered for one of Joel’s test groups last summer, and he sent me all this stuff.

He’s writing a book about it, and I think he asked us not to forward it all over the place for that reason. But I know he’s around here every once in a while, maybe you could ask him.

Failing that, I think TDawg would be fine, or you could try Thibs’ carb cycling diet. I would NOT recommend pairing WSP with the VDiet or Berardi’s GSD.

[quote]qwik3r2 wrote:
[/quote]

Were you doing the recommended rest periods? I’ve really found that a watch with a beeping timer is essential to getting the most out of a CW program, because the rest periods are really integral to the program design. If you’re just guessing, you’re probably resting too long, particularly between the last few sets of a 10x3.

If you aren’t breathing hard and sweating after 10x3 squats with 70s rest, you aren’t using enough weight.

I did the WSP a while back with the TDawg diet and lost about 12 pounds, got sick and gained about 5 back, i’m now using Thibs carb cycling diet to try to even things out. my body seems to favor low carb though, maybe because of the diabetic tendencies in my family, but i never felt run down, and i followed it to the letter.

you just have to adjust you calories when you weight loss peaks about 4 weeks in.

This is (at least to the extent of my knowledge) the second time in the past two days that youve posted a thread about how upset you are with your friends for not wanting to try your routine out. Honestly if my training partner was another 150 lb kid, yet he kept telling me that I was doing everything wrong, I probably would not listen to him either.

If you have something you want to try, but your friends dont, there is nothing keeping either of you from doing what you want. Do whatever fucking program you want, but dont be a pussy about it. Waterbury’s programs are not meant to be easy, and from a lot of what Iv heard around here, you ARE supposed to be wiped out after the workouts.

If you think what your friends are doing isnt working, then do something else and see if it works. If it does and they still dont agree to try it, then you can call them idiots.

People act like reading a few articles on here makes them complete training gurus in a couple of days.