Waterbury Routine Question

Why does he recommend 24 to 36 reps / sets for his routines.

Yet he states that 36 to 50 reps are best for hypertrophy?

Shouldn’t the hypertrophy routines have 36 to 50 instead of 24 to 36?

Just curious if this is enough volume for growth…not strength?

well Ill take a stab and guess it has to do with the frequency of his preograms. Start adding up the reps of the days and you will be at or above the 36-50 range in the total week.

Training programs are not all about one day. you have to look at the big picture the training week or even longer to see how it works together as a unit.

Okay that makes sense.

But for my situation I only train 3 days a week…should I change to the 36 to 50 rep range?

Even his TBT program sticks to 3 days but still with 24 to 36 ???

Thanks

Well, some days you’ll be performing lower reps 3-6 range with more sets, and other will be a bit higher in reps, but with less sets, so it all works out in the end.

The 36-50 recommendation as explained in his Set Rep Bible was for hypertrophy without regard for strength. The 24-36 was strength with hypertrophy gains as well. So he’s looking for strength gains that will allow muscle size increases as well, or at least that’s how I see it.

Also if you start your base workout in the 24-36 rep range, your progression in reps and sets will quickly lead to 36-50 range. ie 4x8 → 4x9 → 4x10 or 5x5 → 6x5 → 7x5 ->8x5 and so on for every other rep/set combo. Chad’s also said before that he likes to focus on maximal strength for all clients regardless of goal, so it makes sense for 24-36 range to be his bread and butter.

So for just 3 days a week what do you guys suggest?

Remember just 3 days?

so for hypertrophy only 3 days a week…36 to 50 ???

[quote]Joe.Muscle wrote:
so for hypertrophy only 3 days a week…36 to 50 ???[/quote]

Man, read his articles and form your own opinion.

Personally, I’m curious why you’re avoiding parameters that will build strength with the hypertrophy. Doesn’t make much sense to me. Maybe you already bench 400, squat 500, and dead 600?

[quote]Joe.Muscle wrote:
Okay that makes sense.

But for my situation I only train 3 days a week…should I change to the 36 to 50 rep range?

Even his TBT program sticks to 3 days but still with 24 to 36 ???

Thanks[/quote]

You set your weights correctly and keep your calories where they should be and TBT will add muscle no problem. Myself and others have had great success with that program.

[quote]Joe.Muscle wrote:

Just curious if this is enough volume for growth…not strength?[/quote]

I needed 50 reps for the hypertrophy, and lower, high-intensity reps for strength.

Initially, I used CW’s ABBH1&2 and was not happy with gains of either strength or hypertrophy despite full effort and strict adherence to the programs. For me, 24-36 reps at straight sets wasn’t cutting it for either.

I adapted it to what I felt I needed, and now do 3 total body workouts a week with 2 weeks of 5x10 reps for hypertrophy, and 1 week of pyramids for strength (10/8/6/4/2)/ I’ve been gaining in both steadily. I also put in some simple movements after complex movements to supplement areas that lag.

[quote]Patrick Williams wrote:
Joe.Muscle wrote:

Just curious if this is enough volume for growth…not strength?

I needed 50 reps for the hypertrophy, and lower, high-intensity reps for strength.

Initially, I used CW’s ABBH1&2 and was not happy with gains of either strength or hypertrophy despite full effort and strict adherence to the programs. For me, 24-36 reps at straight sets wasn’t cutting it for either.

I adapted it to what I felt I needed, and now do 3 total body workouts a week with 2 weeks of 5x10 reps for hypertrophy, and 1 week of pyramids for strength (10/8/6/4/2)/ I’ve been gaining in both steadily. I also put in some simple movements after complex movements to supplement areas that lag.

[/quote]

Very cool approach !