Waterbury Question

Searched for the answer with no luck. Most of his programs use highly variable set/rep formats. IE. 2x15, 10x3, 4x8, all in the same week.

Am I correct that he recommends using a 70-80% 1rm load no matter the scheme? Basically, if I understand this correctly, if the total reps is say 30, it doesn’t matter how you split it up in sets, use the same load? Hope my explaination made sense.

Also. What is a good way to compute 80% 1RM? I work out alone in my basement, so getting a true 1RM would be dangerous I think. I want to make sure I’m sticking with his parameters as it sounds like he knows what he’s talking about.

Just my second post, so if I sound like an idiot, it’s because I am. I working hard and learning though.

Thanks

NO. You do not use the same load with varying rep schemes. Most programs give you a suggest % Max to work off of (slightly different from person to person but his suggestion is usually close).

How to compute 80%…
what I do is use a % Max calculator (One-Rep Max Calculator: Target Max Strength Goals) to calculate this without actually attempting a 1rm.