T Nation

Waterbury Question

Hey guys.

I am currently doing CW’s “Hypertrophy Booster Shots” along with my current routine. I have just finished my first week. I am really confused, however, as to the correct exercise selection. Here’s what I’ve been doing:

Legs:

Booster Shot 1: Leg Press
Booster Shot 2: DB Squats

Biceps:

Booster Shot 1: Bicep Curls
Booster Shot 2: Bicep Curls (I used different bars and hand grips for these two days, though I did both exercises while standing.)

Triceps:

Booster Shot 1: Push-down
Booster Shot 2: Push-down (as with my biceps, I used different bars and slightly different grips with these exercises, though the movement was the same)

Calves:

Booster Shot 1: Seated Calf Raise
Booster Shot 2: Donkey Calf Raise

Chest:

Booster Shot 1: Pec Contractor (Nautilus)
Booster Shot 2: Deltoid Fly (Nautilus)

Forearms:

Booster Shot 1: BB Forearm Curl
Booster Shot 2: DB Forearm Curl

So, as you can see, I used virtually all isolation exercises. Here’s why: In the article, CW mentions that each muscle should be worked 100 times. If I were doing a narrow-grip bench for my tris and then, a bit later, a DB incline-bench for my chest, I would be hitting my pecs well over that 100 mark. Is this true? Or should I count the narrow-grip bench as ONLY working my tris?

That’s question 1.

Question 2 is: Am I working too many muscles in one session? CW, in his follow-up responses, is slightly unclear about this. He seems to recommend starting with just a few different muscles, but also mentions that he has his clients work every single one of theirs in these Booster sessions. How do I know if I’m doing this for too many different muscles? I am not an advanced lifter but I have the motivation to do each muscle each Booster session.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Much appreciated.

-HM

I’m sure someone will jump in and add more than I can…

?'s…How many days is your current lifting program?

You are doing the Boosters on how many off lifting days?

Why don’t you try 3-5 boosters and see how you respond and recover. You can always make adjustments as needed. Just make sure your nutrition and sleep habits can keep up with the training. (lots of Surge and Flameout). Also make sure you take one full day off a week.

Good Luck!

[quote]HailMary wrote:
Hey guys.

I am currently doing CW’s “Hypertrophy Booster Shots” along with my current routine. I have just finished my first week. I am really confused, however, as to the correct exercise selection. Here’s what I’ve been doing:

Legs:

Booster Shot 1: Leg Press
Booster Shot 2: DB Squats

Biceps:

Booster Shot 1: Bicep Curls
Booster Shot 2: Bicep Curls (I used different bars and hand grips for these two days, though I did both exercises while standing.)

Triceps:

Booster Shot 1: Push-down
Booster Shot 2: Push-down (as with my biceps, I used different bars and slightly different grips with these exercises, though the movement was the same)

Calves:

Booster Shot 1: Seated Calf Raise
Booster Shot 2: Donkey Calf Raise

Chest:

Booster Shot 1: Pec Contractor (Nautilus)
Booster Shot 2: Deltoid Fly (Nautilus)

Forearms:

Booster Shot 1: BB Forearm Curl
Booster Shot 2: DB Forearm Curl

So, as you can see, I used virtually all isolation exercises. Here’s why: In the article, CW mentions that each muscle should be worked 100 times. If I were doing a narrow-grip bench for my tris and then, a bit later, a DB incline-bench for my chest, I would be hitting my pecs well over that 100 mark. Is this true? Or should I count the narrow-grip bench as ONLY working my tris?

That’s question 1.

Question 2 is: Am I working too many muscles in one session? CW, in his follow-up responses, is slightly unclear about this. He seems to recommend starting with just a few different muscles, but also mentions that he has his clients work every single one of theirs in these Booster sessions. How do I know if I’m doing this for too many different muscles? I am not an advanced lifter but I have the motivation to do each muscle each Booster session.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Much appreciated.

-HM[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about overlapping muscles. You’re doing too much. It’s like you need to bring up everything. The booster shots were supposed to be for weak body parts.

Get a good full body program and it will make everything grow. If you truly need THAT many specializations I would reccomend you get as many compound exercises as possible to hit all the muscles that you want. Narrow it down to 2-3 muscle groups.

Seems like you could make an entire routine out of only your booster shots.

I’m currently doing The Waterbury Method. I do the Boosters on Monday and Friday.

It’s true, I’m doing a lot of different muscles, but Chad said directly in his article (or in one of his responses - can’t remember) that he has his clients do EVERY ONE of their muscles with these Boosters. So, why not do them all?