Waterbury PT 9/7

[quote]Bob A wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:
I’m here to take your questions. Let me start out: how far are you away from your current goal? In other words, what are you currently trying to achieve in your workout plan?

Funny you should ask this, I was just thinking about it. It seems that I have always wanted to get “just a little bigger and a little stronger”, regardless of wherever I was at. Right now I’d like another 15 to 20 lbs of LBM and the strength to go with it. When I achieve those goals I’m guessing I’ll still want a little more.

How about you? What are your training goals and how far are you from them? Last I read you had achieved your hypertrophy goals and are focusing on maximal strength, is that right?[/quote]

Hey, you must keep “raising the bar.” If you don’t, you won’t have any reason to get up in the morning. I love an old Tom T. Hall song about an old farmer who’s in the hospital. The doctors tell him that he’ll never live more than a few days and all he can think about is, “Who’s gonna feed them hogs?” Therefore, his purpose in life (his hogs) is what gets him out of the hospital and on with life (as the doctors scratch their heads in amazement).

My goals? Getting into the gym! That’s my toughest obstacle of all at this point. Between my clients, my writings, my schooling, my books, etc it’s all I can do these days to make it to the gym. If I’m not careful, I’ll end up like the barber with bad hair. Nah, I’ve already met my size goals. Now, it’s just a matter of fine-tuning the performance machine. Thanks for asking.

[quote]Bob A wrote:
CW,

A few observations and then my questions:

• You prescribe a set/rep volume of 24-50 performed 2-4 times a week for hypertrophy. You?ve also discussed training specific muscle groups more frequently (up to 10 times a week).

• With respect to set/rep volume: in some of your programs you start by prescribing a set/rep volume closer to the lower end of this range but add sets or reps every week such that one eventually reaches the upper end of the range

• With respect to training frequency: you have also prescribed training less frequently at first and slowly increasing the number of training sessions performed

My questions:

1- Are these prescriptions (increasing every week) with respect to volume and frequency solely to allow trainees to develop the level of conditioning required to perform at the higher ends of your training recommendations or are there other reasons?

2- If there are no other reasons, would a trainee already conditioned to handle these higher levels of volume and frequency benefit more from staying more frequently at the higher ends or would they be better off utilizing the entire range equally?

3- You have said that training more frequently is better for hypertrophy, is a set/rep volume closer to 50 better for hypertrophy than one closer to 24?

4- If so, should one strive to train as frequently as possible as close to the higher end of volume prescriptions as ones conditioning will allow?

4- If a trainee can adequately recover and progress while training at the higher ends of your volume and frequency recommendations, would there be benefit to adding more volume or frequency?

5- When developing a trainee’s level of conditioning, do you prefer to tart by getting them accustomed to increased volume, frequency, or do you work on both simultaneously?

6 - I know you favor frequency over volume but are there times when you advise a set/rep volume greater than 50 if the trainee can handle it?

[/quote]

(Note to self: tell TC that I want a bonus for answering long questions.)

Man, oh man, are those some heavy questions! But good questions nonetheless.

As a writer, I’m constantly battling a neverending dilemma: who should I cater my articles to? Since T-Nation consists mostly of intermediate-advanced trainees, I shoot for that audience. As such, elite athletes sometimes need to fine-tune my articles (this is where my program design business becomes lucrative).
Warning: I’m about to say “It Depends on Your Goal” a record number of times.

1. It depends on your goal. The parameters you’re referring to are mostly from my Set/Rep Bible article. That article was based on training for hypertrophy and maintatining muscle during fat loss. Maximal strength, endurance, speed strength, etc are an entirely different animal. Depending on your goal, if you seek hypertrophy, then yes, that statement is true. I’m trying to get trainees conditioned to the point where they can withstand a large amount of sessions/muscle group per week. But if say, maximal strength is the goal, the same is not true. You can’t force yourself to constantly up your MS sessions beyond 4, or so, sessions per week. Even that’s really pushing it.

2. Yes, highly conditioned trainees would benefit by starting at the mid range of my prescriptions before working up from there.

3. No, since there’s a limit to daily stimulation. If merely performing more volume IN A GIVEN SESSION was better, then the “One Day Cures” would’ve held up. But they don’t for the reason above. Once a horse is dead, there’s no reason to keep beating it. If you do, you’ll only increase the chance of hurting yourself (note: analogy). A set/rep volume of 50 is extremely taxing with >85% of 1RM, but a set/rep volume of 24-36 is with >85% of 1RM is great for hypertrophy and frequent sessions. The answer depends on loading, exercise selection, recovery days, etc.

4. No, high frequency plans often make up for the need to constantly increase volume even further. Instead, it’s recommended to focus on loading.

5. Probably not, there’s a point of diminishing returns.

6. Frequency first.

7. You can’t separate frequency and volume since they’re virutally one in the same. The point of training up to 10 sessions/week is to increase weekly volume. But the volume must be broken up into as many sessions as possible once it reaches high levels.

Hey Chad,

What would you do for a lagging bodypart? My upper right arm is noticably smaller than my left (particularly the medial and long heads of the tricep), most likely due to me being left handed and that I have broken my right olecranon process in the past. Last year, I had the broken piece removed and the tricep tendon was moved further down. I have completely recovered but due to years of having this injury, I have lost a small range of motion and I feel this has hampered development as well.

I know most people have one side bigger/stronger than the other but I think I can close the gap.

I have just started Perfect 10 for my triceps and wondered if this will help the difference or should I tweak it or do something else entirely?

Thanks
blake

[quote]blake b wrote:
Hey Chad,

What would you do for a lagging bodypart? My upper right arm is noticably smaller than my left (particularly the medial and long heads of the tricep), most likely due to me being left handed and that I have broken my right olecranon process in the past. Last year, I had the broken piece removed and the tricep tendon was moved further down. I have completely recovered but due to years of having this injury, I have lost a small range of motion and I feel this has hampered development as well.

I know most people have one side bigger/stronger than the other but I think I can close the gap.

I have just started Perfect 10 for my triceps and wondered if this will help the difference or should I tweak it or do something else entirely?

Thanks
blake[/quote]

You had me worried with your opening sentence, but you redeemed yourself in the end.

I’d bet that you have an insufficiency of neural input into your upper right arm. In fact, based on your shoulder injury, I’d almost bet it to be true. The single best thing you can do is follow my P10 program for any muscles in the upper right arm that are lagging. But don’t forget about your shoulder, back, and forearms. They should be trained with maximal strength parameters.

Mr. C-Dubya

I’m about 9 weeks away from basketball season. I’ve been using bands to increase my strength (my biggest weakness)the whole summer and want to start moving into more explosive lifts.

I want to focus on more hip extension exercises, as well as some OL’s, like the hang clean. In your opinion what are some of the best “band” or “non-band” exercises that I could be doing in my power phase to increase my vertical?

Thanks a lot!

[quote]lefty04 wrote:
Mr. C-Dubya

I’m about 9 weeks away from basketball season. I’ve been using bands to increase my strength (my biggest weakness)the whole summer and want to start moving into more explosive lifts.

I want to focus on more hip extension exercises, as well as some OL’s, like the hang clean. In your opinion what are some of the best “band” or “non-band” exercises that I could be doing in my power phase to increase my vertical?

Thanks a lot![/quote]

Well, cleans and snatches will help. But, to increase your vertical, you should also include heavy, quarter squats. This will definitely boost your VJ. Also, I recommend 40M sprints.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll step the band tension up a little and give them a try.

Should I use a wide or regular/narrow stance? Also, I’m mostly a one legged jumper. Any advice for unilateral jumping?

Hey Chad,

Per your recommendation, I started the Outlaw program last week, and I’m really enjoying the variety. One question: I’ve never done one-legged lifts before, and I’m struggling maintaining my balance on the split squats and one-legged deadlifts - to the point where I can’t handle much weight, I’m struggling to maintain form, and I’m not feeling much intensity during that part of the workout. Do I just keep doing them the best I can until my balance gets better (hopefully)?

My current goals - lose another 10 pounds or so of fat (by this time next month), and then evaluate whether it’s FINALLY time for my first real bulking cycle since starting with massive fat loss a year ago.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
blake b wrote:
Hey Chad,

Thanks
blake

You had me worried with your opening sentence, but you redeemed yourself in the end.

I’d bet that you have an insufficiency of neural input into your upper right arm. In fact, based on your shoulder injury, I’d almost bet it to be true. The single best thing you can do is follow my P10 program for any muscles in the upper right arm that are lagging. But don’t forget about your shoulder, back, and forearms. They should be trained with maximal strength parameters. [/quote]

Thanks Chad. I was usually only doing 1 tricep assistance exercise per upper body workout and was going to eliminate it for P10, (although the main lift is some sort of press) should I eliminate the assistance still and do perfect 10 for just my right arm (nothing for left tricep) or continue assistance normally and add in P10 for my right arm?

I’m not sure about the neural insufficiency because my right delts and pec are bigger than my left. I think my body has compensated for my triceps over the years.

Thanks again and when are you book(s) coming out??

Blake