Waterbury PT 9/7

I’m here to take your questions. Let me start out: how far are you away from your current goal? In other words, what are you currently trying to achieve in your workout plan?

Hey Chad,
My current goal is to get to 205 lbs. I’m at 198 right now. I’m in Week 2 of your ABBH I program currently and am really enjoying it and this, in addition with the recently completed ATOW, have led to some good size and strength gains.

My question is on the Week 3 10x5 exercises, if you can’t get 5 reps for all 10 sets, is it best to drop the weight for the last 2 sets and get those five reps, or to exend the sets until you reach the total of reps prescribed (it’d be 50 total reps for this week) and use the same weight?

In relation to the question you posted I dont have any goals as such, I lift to enrich. And as for a question, do you feel you have pretty much achieved what you set out to achieve in terms of a profession,and how long did it take you to get to where you are now?

Hi chad,

I just started week 3 of TTT and am loving the strength days. The 24 rep sets on day two though are a killer; at the end my shoulders start cramping up much like a charlie horse.

Anyhow, to my question…

I’m starting to feel under the weather. The only real symptom is constant fatigue (that and my resting heart rate is elevated, 50 to 88), due to which I’m having trouble finishing each workout. I was contemplating taking a week off, but I’m in the middle of week 3 and don’t know whether to finish the week out or stop now and resume where I left off. Your opinion is appreciated.

hi there Waterbury. I have a question about volume tonight. You have recommened your TTT program along with NB3 programs for fat loss because they are low in volume. It may be obvious that these programs are less intense or lower in volume then some of your other programs, however do you have a way by which you determine volume. How might you explain why one program is easier on recovery then another? Is it just as simple as multiplying intensity by volume or are there other by which you determine the volume of a training session along with its effect of recovery?

Hello Chad,

I’m currently trying to bring my squat up while mass is secondary. My intermediate goal is to squat 2.25 x body weight, deadlift 2.5 and bench 1.5 all for 4 reps while being able to run 5km in 20 minutes and look good naked.

My current strategy is get the strength goal first while maintaining modest endurance, then switch focus on shaping the physique while maintaining the other qualities, and finally getting my endurance up.

The question is, if I just focused on getting bigger for a period, say 3 - 6 months, then switched to relative strength training, would I end up with less strength relative to body weight than if I just focused on strength? I guess I’m getting impatient with the looking good naked goal and question if focusing on focusing on hypertrophy for a while would hurt the final goal.

Rolo

p.s. I posted a question on Science of 10 x 3 and hope you might visit there today.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
In other words, what are you currently trying to achieve in your workout plan?[/quote]

My current goal is to bulk up to 200 pounds by January 1, 2006. Hmm…is it a goal if you know it will happen? That’s about a pound/week so it’s doable IMO.

I’m not scared that I’ll have no abs…just bring on the mass!

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Hey Chad,
My current goal is to get to 205 lbs. I’m at 198 right now. I’m in Week 2 of your ABBH I program currently and am really enjoying it and this, in addition with the recently completed ATOW, have led to some good size and strength gains.

My question is on the Week 3 10x5 exercises, if you can’t get 5 reps for all 10 sets, is it best to drop the weight for the last 2 sets and get those five reps, or to exend the sets until you reach the total of reps prescribed (it’d be 50 total reps for this week) and use the same weight?[/quote]

Decrease the load to meet the volume requirements.

Chad,

What are your recommendations on warming up before a workout and on post-workout recovery methods, such as stretching? Or, can you recommend a particular T-Nation contributer who has ideas that you like?

By the way, when are you coming out with an F’ing book that encompasses every asset of working out, including weights, cardio, nutrition, recovery, etc. I WANT THAT BOOK! I love your philosophy on so many aspects; the way you keep it simple and yet very intelligent.

Thanks for all your contributions to the Nation!

Beauzo

[quote]nabz wrote:
In relation to the question you posted I dont have any goals as such, I lift to enrich. And as for a question, do you feel you have pretty much achieved what you set out to achieve in terms of a profession,and how long did it take you to get to where you are now?[/quote]

“I lift to enrich.” I like that statement!

Have I achieved what I set out to do? Yes, along with a big NO. Yes, I’ve reached my goals for this point in my life, but I haven’t even scratched the surface of what I’m going to achieve. I’m never satisfied, and I’m constantly pushing myself to the next level. My book(s) will be a good start. Within the next year I’m moving to California, and hopefully, the rest will be history.

[quote]JohnGalt wrote:
Hi chad,

I just started week 3 of TTT and am loving the strength days. The 24 rep sets on day two though are a killer; at the end my shoulders start cramping up much like a charlie horse.

Anyhow, to my question…

I’m starting to feel under the weather. The only real symptom is constant fatigue (that and my resting heart rate is elevated, 50 to 88), due to which I’m having trouble finishing each workout. I was contemplating taking a week off, but I’m in the middle of week 3 and don’t know whether to finish the week out or stop now and resume where I left off. Your opinion is appreciated.[/quote]

Is this HR measured upon waking? If so, you definitely need to take some time off - that’s a huge jump. I suggest you take off 5 full days, then pick up where you left off. Your performance will probably improve since you’re probably overtrained (or fighting off a bug).

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
hi there Waterbury. I have a question about volume tonight. You have recommened your TTT program along with NB3 programs for fat loss because they are low in volume. It may be obvious that these programs are less intense or lower in volume then some of your other programs, however do you have a way by which you determine volume. How might you explain why one program is easier on recovery then another? Is it just as simple as multiplying intensity by volume or are there other by which you determine the volume of a training session along with its effect of recovery?[/quote]

Have you read my Set/Rep Bible? Because most of your queries are answered in that article.

But to expound on your questions, one of the most important elements to consider is maximal strength work. If you’re dieting, you need to minimize the intensity, volume, or frequency of MS work because it can really put a load on your adrenals during fat loss phases. Both TTT and NB3 are recommended since they each possess a limited amount of MS work. In addition, the session volume is kept low and the overall volume/intensity of the plans are managable during hypocaloric eating plans.

Hey Chad, what do you think of using the “overreach” method to accustom the body to higher frequencies. What I mean is to bombard your body with intense parameters for about ten days non-stop, rest a few days and then start at desired frequency but with a lower volume. Next week use full volume and frequency. It worked for me to make the jump from 3x to 5x/week alsmost a year ago. I noticed that on day 5 or so of continuous training there is no more soreness, neither is there soreness during the rest days.

[quote]Mastermind wrote:
Hello Chad,

I’m currently trying to bring my squat up while mass is secondary. My intermediate goal is to squat 2.25 x body weight, deadlift 2.5 and bench 1.5 all for 4 reps while being able to run 5km in 20 minutes and look good naked.

My current strategy is get the strength goal first while maintaining modest endurance, then switch focus on shaping the physique while maintaining the other qualities, and finally getting my endurance up.

The question is, if I just focused on getting bigger for a period, say 3 - 6 months, then switched to relative strength training, would I end up with less strength relative to body weight than if I just focused on strength? I guess I’m getting impatient with the looking good naked goal and question if focusing on focusing on hypertrophy for a while would hurt the final goal.

Rolo

p.s. I posted a question on Science of 10 x 3 and hope you might visit there today.[/quote]

Man, those are some lofty goals - not one in particular, but the combination of all will definitely be a challenge. But, you can do it if you focus your mindset on the goals.

I wouldn’t recommend focusing on any specific goal for 3-6 months straight. If you do, you’ll lose the other qualities. Focus on maximal strength, strength-speed, and hypertrophy (medium rep) ranges for your upper body. Don’t perform any endurance work except for active recovery sessions.

Your lower body goals will be the toughest obstacle. What’s your current squat and dead? If you’re far from your goal, you should nix running, altogether. Focus on all strength building elements for the lower body: maximal strength, strength speed, speed strength, etc. I wouldn’t recommend the running portion of your goals until you’ve met your dead/squat goals. Once you meet them, start running because it’s much easier to run a 5K in 20 minutes, then to squat and dead the numbers you’re mentioning (well, if they’re raw lifts).

Bottom Line: You must reach your strength goals first, then start your running plan. You’ll lose lower body maximal strength once you start running, but you’ll be able to re-gain it quickly if you’ve already achieved the numbers.

[quote]lucidhaze wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:
In other words, what are you currently trying to achieve in your workout plan?

My current goal is to bulk up to 200 pounds by January 1, 2006. Hmm…is it a goal if you know it will happen? That’s about a pound/week so it’s doable IMO.

I’m not scared that I’ll have no abs…just bring on the mass![/quote]

Yes, a pound each week is possible. But I’m glad you wrote that last sentence!

[quote]w2097 wrote:
Hey Chad, what do you think of using the “overreach” method to accustom the body to higher frequencies. What I mean is to bombard your body with intense parameters for about ten days non-stop, rest a few days and then start at desired frequency but with a lower volume. Next week use full volume and frequency. It worked for me to make the jump from 3x to 5x/week alsmost a year ago. I noticed that on day 5 or so of continuous training there is no more soreness, neither is there soreness during the rest days.[/quote]

Your last sentence is a good point. In fact, that’s what I’m trying to convince readers, at this juncture.

I like the “overreaching” technique if it’s properly planned. The workout parameters must be extremely well balanced and there must be a wide variance in parameters throughout the week. If you do that, you’ll reap the benefits.

Chad,

How do I incorporate some kind of Periodization into the Waterbury Method? I just finished my first week and loved it, but don’t see any Periodization built into the program.

Or is the idea just to do it for 28 days, then move onto something else?

I’m 42, 6’1, 209 (down from 216) and about 15% bf. Currently using the T-Dawg Ver 2 diet along with your program to cut down to 10% or less. So my goals would be to get below 10%, then start gaining strength and muscle.

I was doing Meltdown Training but got bored. Plus, I don’t like going to the gym 4 days a week.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
I’m here to take your questions. Let me start out: how far are you away from your current goal? In other words, what are you currently trying to achieve in your workout plan?[/quote]

Funny you should ask this, I was just thinking about it. It seems that I have always wanted to get “just a little bigger and a little stronger”, regardless of wherever I was at. Right now I’d like another 15 to 20 lbs of LBM and the strength to go with it. When I achieve those goals I’m guessing I’ll still want a little more.

How about you? What are your training goals and how far are you from them? Last I read you had achieved your hypertrophy goals and are focusing on maximal strength, is that right?

[quote]futuredave wrote:
Chad,

How do I incorporate some kind of Periodization into the Waterbury Method? I just finished my first week and loved it, but don’t see any Periodization built into the program.

Or is the idea just to do it for 28 days, then move onto something else?

I’m 42, 6’1, 209 (down from 216) and about 15% bf. Currently using the T-Dawg Ver 2 diet along with your program to cut down to 10% or less.

I was doing Meltdown Training but got bored. Plus, I don’t like going to the gym 4 days a week.[/quote]

My “elusive” periodization methodology is perfecting hidden within the order of programs I recommend. For instance, I often recommend the following:

ABBH
TTT
TBT
WM
QD

That will tell you a lot about my theory on the issue. But there’s obviously more to the story (read: another article).

Yes, you’re correct in assuming that you should follow the plan for the recommended timeframe before switching programs. Once you finish the WM, take 5 days off if you feel rundown. Then, start my AofW or QD program.

CW,

A few observations and then my questions:

• You prescribe a set/rep volume of 24-50 performed 2-4 times a week for hypertrophy. You?ve also discussed training specific muscle groups more frequently (up to 10 times a week).

• With respect to set/rep volume: in some of your programs you start by prescribing a set/rep volume closer to the lower end of this range but add sets or reps every week such that one eventually reaches the upper end of the range

• With respect to training frequency: you have also prescribed training less frequently at first and slowly increasing the number of training sessions performed

My questions:

1- Are these prescriptions (increasing every week) with respect to volume and frequency solely to allow trainees to develop the level of conditioning required to perform at the higher ends of your training recommendations or are there other reasons?

2- If there are no other reasons, would a trainee already conditioned to handle these higher levels of volume and frequency benefit more from staying more frequently at the higher ends or would they be better off utilizing the entire range equally?

3- You have said that training more frequently is better for hypertrophy, is a set/rep volume closer to 50 better for hypertrophy than one closer to 24?

4- If so, should one strive to train as frequently as possible as close to the higher end of volume prescriptions as ones conditioning will allow?

4- If a trainee can adequately recover and progress while training at the higher ends of your volume and frequency recommendations, would there be benefit to adding more volume or frequency?

5- When developing a trainee’s level of conditioning, do you prefer to tart by getting them accustomed to increased volume, frequency, or do you work on both simultaneously?

6 - I know you favor frequency over volume but are there times when you advise a set/rep volume greater than 50 if the trainee can handle it?