T Nation

Waterbury PT 9/12 & 9/14

[quote]sam747 wrote:
Chad, doing ABBH I. I’ve never done dead lifts for as high of reps as layed out in the program (5x10). Do you reset after every rep and do full deads?

Thanks[/quote]

Yes, you should unload the movement once it hits the floor. But this should be very brief - just a touch and go.

[quote]Bob A wrote:
CW, I just wanted to thank you for answering ALL my questions last week.

Here are a few more questions for you: What type of clients do you enjoy working with most and least? Do you ever turn down a client?[/quote]

No problem!

Thanks for a change of pace with your questions.

The clients I enjoy training the most aren’t necessarily the most highly conditioned ones. Any client - regardless of their capabilities - that’s motivated to improve is a joy for me. Luckily, all of my current clients fall into that category (that’s the benefit of making a name for yourself, you can pick and choose).

Have I ever turned down a client? Oh yes! In fact, on a monthly basis.

[quote]bojo wrote:
Chad,
I’m interested in a workout geared to developing general fitness and maintaining muscle or gaining a little. Got any recomendations?[/quote]

Of course I do. My Outlaw Strength and Conditioning program would be ideal. If it appears to tough, start out with my Next Big 3 program before undertaking it.

Thanks a lot for the info. The instinctive training concept is very interesting. I know that I am not a fan of highly structured routines, I like variety. An instinctive training article would be a huge hit. This is my last question. I like to train. I would train daily if i could without adverse effects and over training. How many days are too many? I train in the morning before work at 5:00 a.m. (I am a PE teacher). I generally have about 40 minutes tops to train. Got any suggestions, ideas, thoughts? Thanks again for all the answers.

[quote]bojo wrote:
Thanks a lot for the info. The instinctive training concept is very interesting. I know that I am not a fan of highly structured routines, I like variety. An instinctive training article would be a huge hit. This is my last question. I like to train. I would train daily if i could without adverse effects and over training. How many days are too many? I train in the morning before work at 5:00 a.m. (I am a PE teacher). I generally have about 40 minutes tops to train. Got any suggestions, ideas, thoughts? Thanks again for all the answers. [/quote]

I can’t answer how many days would be too many. That depends on a huge myriad of factors. But give my Perfect 10 program a try for the muscle groups you seek to improve the most.

Chad, just curious, are you doing one of your programs right now or are you tinkering w/ something new?

[quote]sam747 wrote:
Chad, just curious, are you doing one of your programs right now or are you tinkering w/ something new?[/quote]

I’m always tinkering with something new!

CW

I’m currently doing my 2nd phase of ABBH I which is in 1st week of the 2nd phase. My problem is that i’ll be away for a business(Australia-Melbourne) the next week thus i’m unable to follow up on the program as i have check with the service apartment that i’m staying, they don’t have any gym facilities. Furthermore they is not local gym near the vicinities.

What should i do CW? Take a week break from the program. If so then how should i continue when i’m back, do i start over again or continue from where i leave off.

Furthermore i know you don’t lay out diet plan for your program but what is a good breakfast to start with if i go to gym 1st thing in the morning (6am) cos it’s the least crowded.I’m currently not taking any protein powder or GROW so i’m rely on whole food only. I’m about 5ft 11" 154lbs about 12%bf.

I normally wake up at 4am to eat my breakfast or do you think i’m scarificing my sleep for this?

Your reply is greatly anticipated nad appreciated.

Chad, thanks for the double PT. Im not in NY right now and can’t get you on PT when you’re actually on.

Just wanted to know what you thought of this programme -

Monday -

A.M
A1. Military press - 5x3
A2. Pullup - 5x3
B1. Flat bench - 4x6
B2. Barbell row - 4x6

P.M
Deadlift - 5x3
Front Squat - 5x3

Tuesday - GPP

Wednesday -

A.M
Dynamic Squat - 8x3
Dynamic Military press - 8x3
Dynamic pulldown - 8x3

P.M
Dynamic Deadlift - 8x3
Dynamic Flat bench - 8x3
Dynamic barbell row - 8x3

Thursday - GPP

Friday -

A.M
A1. Flat bench press - 5x3
A2. Barbell row - 5x3
B1. Military press - 4x6
B2. Pullups - 4x6

P.M
Back squat - 5x3
RDL - 5x3

Saturday - planning on doing some super high-rep training, like 100 rep method with bodyweight excercises throughout the day.

Sunday - Off

My plan is to increase weight on MxS training (5x3) 2.5% every week till I unload (on week 4 this time). My rest period between supersets for MxS training will be 150 seconds.
To decrease the rest period by 5 seconds each week on the Sp-st or dynamic training day( 8x3), b/t sets, until the unload. My rest period for dynamic training will start off being 60 seconds between straight sets.
And to increase one rep per week for the rep method (4x6) each week till the unload. The rest period for the rep work supersets will be 90 seconds.

Ill be able to get 8 good hours of sleep and even a couple of 30 minute naps during the day. Im having around 800-1000 grams of protein per day and my nutrition is quite in order.

Any suggestions or comments would be GREATLY appreciated. Mainly, Ive used all your progression methods and am trying density manipulation as well. So three methods of progression per week. Each movement worked with MxS , rep training and dynamic training parameters EXCEPT for the squat and dead. I have unusually massive quads, hams, glutes and spinal erectors and rep method lower body work just isnt necessary , besides the fact that above 80% of load with a rep method would just kill. But thats it.

Thanks in advance coach!

Amir

P.S I’m on an “extended vacation” thats why I can get the two workouts. And I’m going to put a client of mine on your perfect 10 in 3 weeks from now. Will definitely let you know how that goes. Hope the book is going well, can’t wait!

Chad, I’ve been using your 10x3 and 4x6 set/rep scheme for a while now cause it has fit my schedule well and with the busyness of the gym, I just didn’t want to bother trying to get around all the squat-rack curlers while I try to do antagonist training,etc. Anyhow, I should soon have the opportunity to complete a full program of yours but was wondering if you think TBT could have the exercises set up to be more so geared for vertical leap increase?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hey Mr. Waterbury, Im crazy about your routines!

Ive got a bulking diet question. Which one should I follow? The Get-Big diet for body builders, Massive Eating reloaded, or the Testosterone Advantage Plan diet by Lou Schuller?

Im 6’0, 190 pounds, ecto-mesomorph, around 20% fat, active, and I lift heavy…Im also 38 years old. I want to get up to 215# with 12% fat. I would be fine eating the same thing everyday, honestly. I like my food bland and simple. I dont like sweets, potato chips, beer, none of that stuff. Do you have an every day, day in day out menu I could follow for the next year to achieve my goal? Thats actually a big question isnt it?

Im hoping for something like “eat 5 chicken breasts, 4 cups spinach, 3 sweet potatos, 4 oranges, 4 tbls spoons olive oil, 3 servings Grow!,…each day for 12 months, calories adjusted for weight gain”, you know?

Its just so freaking complicated, plus the cooking…holy crap. It feels like rocket science.

Thanks, Owen Dent

Chad!

I’d really like to try TBT, AoW and the ABBHs but my problem is I never have trained with such short prescribed rest periods (except for a Meltdown cycle - but there the weight was definitely lower).

I think i will not be able to do all prescribed reps if I base them on my curent 1RM.

Should I lower the weight and use the prescribed rest intervals or increase the rest and stick to my calculated RMs.

How can I train a faster recovery?

Cheers!

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
bojo wrote:
Chad,
I’m interested in a workout geared to developing general fitness and maintaining muscle or gaining a little. Got any recomendations?

Of course I do. My Outlaw Strength and Conditioning program would be ideal. If it appears to tough, start out with my Next Big 3 program before undertaking it. [/quote]

I like your response, Chad: “Of course I do.” It’s true - Chad’s got a program for just about anything.

Anyway, Bojo, I’ve been following your thread and you seem to be a bit all over the place. You seem to like CrossFit. I’ve done some of their workouts and they have some good concepts. Dan John likes many of their ideas, but he recognizes that there are weaknesses. I’ve been guilty of reading too much and not working out enough, but lately I’ve actually been working out. My goals are somewhat similar to yours: general fitness, lose fat, improve cardio, and not lose too much muscle mass.

The concept of Chad’s Next Big 3 program is a gem. It combines 3 key core exercises and gives you the flexibility to add a supplemental exercise or 2. Do these in a circuit and it’s as good, if not better than CrossFit. Personally, I think it’s better at preserving muscle mass since it relies on low reps and heavier weight. You talked about instinctive training - I’ve found myself instinctively liking this grouping of three exercises.

And you can add variations. Here is a three-some that was designed by Olympic lifting coach Mike Burgener based on the CrossFit model. His plan used high reps. When I saw this exercise grouping, I immediately noticed the similarity to NB3. Like NB3, it uses an full body pull, an upper body pull, and a squat-press complex. Here it is:

Power snatch
Pull ups
Thrusters

This has been my favorite circuit. Burgener recommends fairly high reps - 10, 15, and 20 respectively. I say, use the NB3 recommendations of 3-5 reps and do the circuit 3-5 times. It’s a lung buster.

[quote]WebEyE wrote:
Chad!

I’d really like to try TBT, AoW and the ABBHs but my problem is I never have trained with such short prescribed rest periods (except for a Meltdown cycle - but there the weight was definitely lower).

I think i will not be able to do all prescribed reps if I base them on my curent 1RM.

Should I lower the weight and use the prescribed rest intervals or increase the rest and stick to my calculated RMs.

How can I train a faster recovery?

Cheers![/quote]

Yes, lower the weight to achieve the prescribed number of reps.

Your recovery will improve the more you do the program. When I started AOW I nearly puked after the end of the second workout, but after that, my body slowly adjusted and now I’m loving the short rest periods.

Hey Chad,

I’m doing TBT and Perfect 10 for my biceps(low peak and weird insertions), and I love it. One thing that is bothering me is my wrist flexibility. I have 15" foreams, and 8"wrists, which should be a good base. I can’t seem to hold the bar while doing front squats. My wrists also torque and pinch while benching, limiting me to 135#. What can I do to to improve wrist flexibility? TIA, -Dave

Chad,

When you get back to this thread Wednesday, I have a question about The Waterbury Method. On Day 3, you have a DB Romanian Deadlift and a BB Military Press. Would it be ok to make it a BB RDL and a DB MP?

Also, my gym doesn’t have a glute-ham raise, and leg curls always hurt me while I’m doing them for some reason. They always have. What would be a decent substitute (maybe back extensions)? Or should I suck it up and do the leg curls?

Thanks!

Chad, martial arts question - what do you think of Krav Maga?

Chad, BCAA question - I see that one serving of Surge has 5.25 g of BCAAs - how many grams of BCAAs do you recommend taking around your workout (pre, during and/or PWO)?

thanks

hi chad i was hoping you could give some insight into how you would train a strength and power athlete. I am getting ready for baseball for this coming spring and i was wondering what kind of training you thought would be best. should i focuse mostly on explosive training along with maximal strength work and/or should i focus on specific exercises or muscle groups. i have achieved a fairly good amount of hypertrophy although i am interested in your perfect 10 program.

i also wondered what your stances are prehab exercises and isometric training are. do both of them have a place in an athletes program and/or should one be used more then another.

one last question although i believe you answer it in your set/rep bible but i just want to make sure. would training a muscle group twice in one session using two different hypertrophy guidelines and two different exercises ever be a viable option, or it just better to train that muscle group more often. an example would be 8x3 of rdl and then 3x8 for pullthroughs.

thanks again for t-nation and your articles the knowledge floating around here is amazing. i just hope i have the same forward thinking as the writers on here once i finish my degree in exercise science.

p.s. any word on your book