Waterbury PT 8/8

I’m here for your questions, but I have one question for y’all.

Out of all the programs you’ve followed, which program induced the greatest development of strength, size, or a combination of the two?

Now, I must state that this isn’t a leading question. I’m not attempting to get answers that only consist of my programs. If my programs did it for you, great, but don’t fret if it isn’t a program of mine. I’m interested in ANY program.

CW,

What exercise can I use to replace squats on Day 2 of Quattro Dyanmo?

Chad,

1-You get a lot of substitution questions. I was wondering if someone who has either substitution difficulties or limited exercise equipment could do some of your routines by using the same exercise more than once. i.e.- in some your routines you alternate bench presses and dips. Could someone just bench on both days instead? On one day they would do wide benches and the other day they would do close grip benches? The same for other lifts, i.e.-someone would do parallel squats one day and atg squats on another day.

2- You have answered this before but if someone does straight sets instead of antagonistic style, should they just add another minute of rest? Is there an advantage to doing straight sets over doing them antagonistic style? Thanks for your time.

And to answer your question, the programs that gave me the most immeadiate size increase were a chest specialization routine Jack Reape made for me it involved 83 benches twice a week and 310 db floor presses and some other accessory work, it was brief and effective. ABBH for size/strength increase combined. EDT for arm size increase.

BD

In regards to your question. The Waterbury method. And the 5x5.

My question:

Is there any difference in terms of effect on muscles involved and gains reported between the now standard parallel leg press or the old school press. Where you have to lay down and weight is above you?

Newbie (many years ago): GVT; Pavel’s PTP.
More recently: HST; ABBH1; Bill Starr.

What’s up Chad, well your ABBH program put 5 lbs of muscle on my frame, I also however put on a bit of fat, so I decided to go with your Outlaw Strength & Conditioning program. Needless to say it worked really well for me, I put on 10 lbs of lean mass while losing about 1% point in BF in a 6 week span.

I’m currently performing your Total-Body Training programe for hypertrophy so we’ll see how that goes. I performed deads and squats for my first workout yesterday and I feel great today.

Thanks for the workouts, keep em’ coming.

CW,

There was a program I followed in college that gave me tremendous gains in hypertrophy/strength. I got it out of IRONMAN and I believe Michael Gundhill was the author.

Day 1 - Squats: 10,8,6,4,2,2,4,6,8,10
Standing Calf Raises - 20, 15, 12, 10,8, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20

Day 3 - Deadlifts - 10,8,6,4,2
Barbell Rows - 10,8,6,4,2

Day 5 - Bench Press - 10,8,6,4,2 2,4,6,8,10

Crunches - 5x15-25

Day 7 - Behind Neck Press - 10,8,6,4,2,2,4,6,8,10

Day 9 - Barbell Curls - 10,8,6,5,5
Skull Crushers - 10,8,6,5,5
Reverse Crunches - 5x15-25

Day 11 - Start Cycle Again

Day 2,4,6,8 are all rest days.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:

Out of all the programs you’ve followed, which program induced the greatest development of strength, size, or a combination of the two? [/quote]

I’ve only just started your program (Waterbury Method and GPP ASAP). They’re great, but I can’t compare with an of your others yet. Apologies.

Any suggestions for a follow-on to your GPP ASAP after I’ve finsihed four weeks - something to mix it up again, with similar intensity and general conditioning ability?

Out of all the programs you’ve followed, which program induced the greatest development of strength, size, or a combination of the two?

Now, I must state that this isn’t a leading question. I’m not attempting to get answers that only consist of my programs. If my programs did it for you, great, but don’t fret if it isn’t a program of mine. I’m interested in ANY program. [/quote]

Either WM or BBB

I do have a question-I have begun splitting up your AoW program into 2 sessions and find I am able to go much harder. Each workout lasts 20-30 minutes including 5 min warm ups. This seems to have really kicked my metabolism up a notch and I feel much harder, even a little sore. As long as I do your program as laid out, can I overtrain by doing this? I have been doing this for a week and feel great.

Thanks Chad

Chad when doing an accmulation/intensicfication/Explosive 4 week block scheme how would you train the upper body during the explosive block. I was thinking of going Powerlifting for the upper body with explosive o-lifts for the legs/back

[quote]general_lfl wrote:
CW,

What exercise can I use to replace squats on Day 2 of Quattro Dyanmo?
[/quote]

Given the prodigious number of squat variations, there’s surely one that works for you. Hack squats would be a good choice. So would front squats, sissy squats or even lunges. If squats are completely out of the question, then I guess leg presses are the only option.

[quote]basementD wrote:
Chad,

1-You get a lot of substitution questions. I was wondering if someone who has either substitution difficulties or limited exercise equipment could do some of your routines by using the same exercise more than once. i.e.- in some your routines you alternate bench presses and dips. Could someone just bench on both days instead? On one day they would do wide benches and the other day they would do close grip benches? The same for other lifts, i.e.-someone would do parallel squats one day and atg squats on another day.

2- You have answered this before but if someone does straight sets instead of antagonistic style, should they just add another minute of rest? Is there an advantage to doing straight sets over doing them antagonistic style? Thanks for your time.

And to answer your question, the programs that gave me the most immeadiate size increase were a chest specialization routine Jack Reape made for me it involved 83 benches twice a week and 310 db floor presses and some other accessory work, it was brief and effective. ABBH for size/strength increase combined. EDT for arm size increase.

BD

[/quote]

1. Yes, I’m constantly inundated with substitution exercise recommendations. If a trainee cannot follow my program as prescribed, then variations of the similar movements (as you described) are recommended.

2. Straight sets generally lead to poorer maximal strength gains. No, the rest periods shouldn’t be altered. Straight sets are recommended with the same rest periods as prescribed.

[quote]samsmarts wrote:
In regards to your question. The Waterbury method. And the 5x5.

My question:

Is there any difference in terms of effect on muscles involved and gains reported between the now standard parallel leg press or the old school press. Where you have to lay down and weight is above you?

[/quote]

There are no appreciable differences between those exercises in terms of strength/muscle gains. Although, the old school version is a little tough for some trainees to get in to. As such, the 45 degree version was designed.

[quote]WiZlon wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:

I’ve only just started your program (Waterbury Method and GPP ASAP). They’re great, but I can’t compare with an of your others yet. Apologies.

Any suggestions for a follow-on to your GPP ASAP after I’ve finsihed four weeks - something to mix it up again, with similar intensity and general conditioning ability?
[/quote]

Stick with GPP ASAP as long as possible. Just decrease the rest periods for further GPP enhancement.

Chad! I am currently hung up on the topic of periodzation. Would you mind giving me (and all the rest of T-Nationers) your input on the different types of periodization? How many types are there out there? Whats the difference between Non Linear Periodization, the Conjugate Periodization, and Undulated? These are just the ones I have heard of. What type of periodization do you incorporate with your training, and which ones do you find most effective?

Thanks!

[quote]cbichsel wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:

Now, I must state that this isn’t a leading question. I’m not attempting to get answers that only consist of my programs. If my programs did it for you, great, but don’t fret if it isn’t a program of mine. I’m interested in ANY program.

Either WM or BBB

I do have a question-I have begun splitting up your AoW program into 2 sessions and find I am able to go much harder. Each workout lasts 20-30 minutes including 5 min warm ups. This seems to have really kicked my metabolism up a notch and I feel much harder, even a little sore. As long as I do your program as laid out, can I overtrain by doing this? I have been doing this for a week and feel great.

Thanks Chad[/quote]

Splitting up AofW is a good idea. For those who can manage such a schedule, it will work wonders.

Overtrained? Who knows, try it and see. But I doubt you’ll be overtrained if you follow the parameters closely.

Now, I must state that this isn’t a leading question. I’m not attempting to get answers that only consist of my programs. If my programs did it for you, great, but don’t fret if it isn’t a program of mine. I’m interested in ANY program. [/quote]

ABBH did very well for me in terms of size and strength. Both increased dramatically. 15 lbs of lean muscle in 10 weeks. I modified it a little. I would do 3 back-to back days and then take a day off rather than take every other day off. I had seen you recommend this to someone and felt my recovery levels were up to par (at the time I prefered to do a lower/upper body split as opposed to full-body). I was extremely happy with the results. I was also really happy with TTT. I gained about 5 lbs of muscle on it while leaning out. My next plan is to do a strength-focused program, possibly SFM. Looking forward to it!

Hey CW! Awsome to get you online.

You just mentioned straight sets generally leading to poorer strength gains. Why is this?
The reciprocal inhibition/innervation should allow for greater recovery and fatigue management I think and that statement would make sense but Im thinking along the terms of applying this to something like westsides ME day.
Would they better off supersetting an anatagonist muscle movement with thier max effort work?

And the best gains Ive seen myself were from westside conecepts of ME and DE days WITHOUT rotating ME movements but simply changing grips (something I picked up from supertraining and then you came along and solidified it for me, hell everything youve written works too well to not take your word for it) That was two years ago and in the beginning of this year, when I was still very motivated to lift, your 10x3 and 4x6 set/rep parameters done in 6 workouts a week (two workouts a day three times a week) was INCREDIBLE. I hadnt been that strong in a long while and I was clean and only 20 pound off my best squat and 15 off my best overhead press. Your mutliple sets and low reps really does the trick.

Amir

basementD wrote:
Chad,

BD

1. Yes, I’m constantly inundated with substitution exercise recommendations. If a trainee cannot follow my program as prescribed, then variations of the similar movements (as you described) are recommended.

2. Straight sets generally lead to poorer maximal strength gains. No, the rest periods shouldn’t be altered. Straight sets are recommended with the same rest periods as prescribed.

[/quote]

Hey X, Ive been literally gnawing CW’s brain for periodization info and heres something he replied to me with, hope it helps.

Amir,
My thoughts on periodization would require a 6-part article!

Here are the Cliff notes of my methods:

1. Don’t train more than 3 strength qualities in a microcycle.

2. Don’t neglect any strength quality that’s integral to an athlete’s performance for more than 3 weeks.

3. Utilize load, volume, and speed progressions throughout the cycle, but don’t concentrate on just one of the three.

4. Loading and volume progressions can definitely be used concurrently. Traditional linear periodization advocates say this isn’t so, but it is. In fact, that’s exactly how my ABBH program is designed.

5. Taper the volume every 3-4 weeks.

6. Unload elite trainees every 4 weeks; novice trainees every 6 weeks. (These are not set in stone, just basic guidelines).

That’s all for now. I’ll leave the rest to future articles.

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
Chad! I am currently hung up on the topic of periodzation. Would you mind giving me (and all the rest of T-Nationers) your input on the different types of periodization? How many types are there out there? Whats the difference between Non Linear Periodization, the Conjugate Periodization, and Undulated? These are just the ones I have heard of. What type of periodization do you incorporate with your training, and which ones do you find most effective?

Thanks![/quote]

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Chad when doing an accmulation/intensicfication/Explosive 4 week block scheme how would you train the upper body during the explosive block. I was thinking of going Powerlifting for the upper body with explosive o-lifts for the legs/back[/quote]

Accum/Inten questions are best suited for Thib since I don’t write in those terms. I’d have to see your program design before commenting on your question.