T Nation

Waterbury PT 8/2

Chad,
What are your reccomendations for training the neck, especially in cases where poor posture is an issue (rounded shoulder, excessive forward lean of the head and neck? For example I have pain in the back of the neck when over head pressin and horizontal rowing. It has been like this for years since straining it while doing rows. I thought i might be able to cure this through strengthening the neck. I have had x-rays and nothing structurally wrong.

Hey Mr. Waterbury! Sorry for another question. I had this one posted on Charles’ too, and was wondering if you would share your own input on this.

Here is the original Post:
Hey Mr Staley! I have a question regarding EDT and 10x3! I know you probably get a lot of this, but if you dont mind, your input would be appreciated. How would you go about incorporating 10x3 with EDT? The setup for the exercises, and how to put it together? Would you do 10x3 for the core lfits, and then use edt for the rep work on the assistant muscle groups? E.G. Bench 10x3, EDT Shoulders and Back? I am kinda confused on this? And would there be a possibility of using it for the whole body? Ideas, Input, critique and comments would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Would you mind taking a look at my previous post on this thread also? Thanks!

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
Hey Chad! Im a big fan of your work, and have made serious gains off them. Thanks!

Hey Chad, I had a thread up about cluster training, and was wondering if you could answer a few questions about it here.

1)What is cluster training more geared for? Strength of Size?
2) Which would you find more effective for strength? Cluster Training or the Rest Pause Method, similar to Titan principles (4 reps, rest 10-15, 4 reps and so on)
3) For the rest pause Method, how many times would you suggest I perform the number of reps?(4 reps, rest, 4 reps, rest, 4 reps, rest) Should I do it 4 times in 1 set, or otherwise? Goal: Size and strength
4) Would ajusting the rest pause method to say 3 reps, be suitable for size or strength? depending on how many “intervals” do you suggest in 1 set?
5)Finally, Would it be suitable to mix Cluster or Rest Pause into 10x3? If so How would you go about doing this? Cluster for core? 10x3 for auxiliary in a Total body approach?

Also, Would speed training in the 50-60% areas produce any hypertrophy, as done in a high volume scheme? (8x3) And what would it do in terms of strength?

Thanks for taking your time to help out![/quote]

1. I consider cluster training to be most effective for maximal strength. But many lifters have reaped hypertrophy benefits (especially those unaccustomed to such parameters).

2. All of the methods are virtually the same. But it also depends on the specifics of the rest-pause parameters. If the rest-pause is short (2-3s) it’ll be less effective for maximal strength gains.

3. Fewer reps will develop more maximal strength, whereas higher rep schemes will be better for hypertrophy. I suggest a cluster set consisting of at least 24 total reps for hypertrophy/strength.

4. Shoot for a set/rep volume of 24-36.

5. Don’t mix the two.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
CW, I’m curious how long you think someone should be lifting before one of your programs is appropriate. My sister has been lifting in the 8-15 rep range for a number of weeks now and would like to begin heavier work. CT felt that she was still too green and that any of his programs would be too taxing. If none of your programs would work which I suspect might be the case, what do you suggest as the next step to ‘becoming a T-vixen’? Thanks![/quote]

My programs are geared toward novice-advanced trainees. If she’s only been training for a matter of weeks, she’s far from being suited for one of my programs. I suggest she stay on the higher end of reps for at least 12 months.

[quote]Ceaze wrote:
What are your thoughts about this study?

J Strength Cond Res. 2005 May;19(2):382-8.

Training leading to repetition failure enhances bench press strength gains in elite junior athletes.

Drinkwater EJ, Lawton TW, Lindsell RP, Pyne DB, Hunt PH, McKenna MJ.

Department of Physiology, Australian Institute of Sport, Canberra, ACT, Australia. drinkwater@csu.edu.au

The purpose of this study was to investigate the importance of training leading to repetition failure in the performance of 2 different tests: 6 repetition maximum (6RM) bench press strength and 40-kg bench throw power in elite junior athletes. Subjects were 26 elite junior male basketball players (n = 12; age = 18.6 +/- 0.3 years; height = 202.0 +/- 11.6 cm; mass = 97.0 +/- 12.9 kg; mean +/- SD) and soccer players (n = 14; age = 17.4 +/- 0.5 years; height = 179.0 +/- 7.0 cm; mass = 75.0 +/- 7.1 kg) with a history of greater than 6 months’ strength training. Subjects were initially tested twice for 6RM bench press mass and 40-kg Smith machine bench throw power output (in watts) to establish retest reliability. Subjects then undertook bench press training with 3 sessions per week for 6 weeks, using equal volume programs (24 repetitions x 80-105% 6RM in 13 minutes 20 seconds). Subjects were assigned to one of two experimental groups designed either to elicit repetition failure with 4 sets of 6 repetitions every 260 seconds (RF(4 x 6)) or allow all repetitions to be completed with 8 sets of 3 repetitions every 113 seconds (NF(8 x 3)). The RF(4 x 6) treatment elicited substantial increases in strength (7.3 +/- 2.4 kg, +9.5%, p < 0.001) and power (40.8 +/- 24.1 W, +10.6%, p < 0.001), while the NF(8 x 3) group elicited 3.6 +/- 3.0 kg (+5.0%, p < 0.005) and 25 +/- 19.0 W increases (+6.8%, p < 0.001). The improvements in the RF(4 x 6) group were greater than those in the repetition rest group for both strength (p < 0.005) and power (p < 0.05). Bench press training that leads to repetition failure induces greater strength gains than nonfailure training in the bench press exercise for elite junior team sport athletes.[/quote]

I’ll need to go through this study with a fine-tooth comb before commenting on it.

[quote]cbjack wrote:
Chad, are you familiar with the CrossFit website and their methods of training? If so, is it possible for an experienced lifter (12 years of lifting)to gain mass using their set/rep/workout scheme. What is your opinion on CrossFit? [/quote]

I’m not familiar with Crossfit.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
CW, I’m curious how long you think someone should be lifting before one of your programs is appropriate. My sister has been lifting in the 8-15 rep range for a number of weeks now and would like to begin heavier work. CT felt that she was still too green and that any of his programs would be too taxing. If none of your programs would work which I suspect might be the case, what do you suggest as the next step to ‘becoming a T-vixen’? Thanks!

My programs are geared toward novice-advanced trainees. If she’s only been training for a matter of weeks, she’s far from being suited for one of my programs. I suggest she stay on the higher end of reps for at least 12 months. [/quote]

Ok, thanks. She won’t be that happy, but she’ll realize it’s the best thing for the longrun. I figured you might say something like that. I lifted in a higher rep range for some time before moving to heavier work.

Chad whats up?

I just finished my first round of the waterbury method and all of my numbers and strength increased. I could of aten more, but now i am just shredded. I’m a hard gainer looking to put on mass and have been looking at a lot of your programs. What would you recommend starting after i take a week off?

Chad,
When is the ‘Master Plan’ going to be released, is it another article or book?

In the Art of Waterbury you refer to hitting the muscle 2-4X/week for hypertrophy. What are some guidelines for performance/strength?
I’ve had success with SFM. But would like to create a longer term program. Thanks alot.

When this practice was first popularly utilized at the turn of the century, it was reputed to be a very significant implementation for growth. It has stood the test of time since. Try it both ways. Guarantee you’ll find that 5+ meals per day is superior.

DH

[quote]jeep7588 wrote:
Mr. Waterbury,

Thanks for your time in advance. I was wondering what your opinion on the Art De Vany article was specifically the reccomendations or opinion he has on bodybuliders and athletes eating multiple small meals. Apparantly he thinks it is a bad and or terrible thing to do linking it to metabolic disease.

Jeep
[/quote]