T Nation

Waterbury PT 8/16

I'm here for your questions!

CW:

Dug the Perfect 10 article, thks. For YEARS, when I would read articles about HIT, etc., I would think back on my own experience, where volume and frequency had combined to create some hypertrophy . . . and think, if overtraining is such a lurking danger, why did my forearms grow so much the summer I did construction?

In short, no question, just a thanks. From reading your stuff, and other contrib. here on T-Nation, I've made my workouts more frequent and more basic. Thanks again.

Richard

I'm currently trying to cut fat and have been lifting whole body, 3x a week using a major push, pull, and lower body lift with varying sets/reps/schemes to maintain muscle. If I wanted to add some "beach" work, just to do more for my upper arms and calves, what do you think of having extra workouts on off days just for these muscles? I know Westside often prescribes such workouts for lagging bodyparts, and I figured separating these would spare the CNS, but do you think this would still be too much while cutting?

Hi Chad,

You've probably answered questions like this before, but I couldn't dig anything up in a search.

What kind of progression through your programs would you recommend to someone who's primary goal is to "look good nekkid"? Strength is good too.

If it's relevant, I'm 33, can train up to 5 times a week, and I'm a relative newbie to your plans (I started training again a year ago after a 14-year hiatus, but I've mostly been doing HIT - which isn't working for me anymore). Also, I'm a former fat boy who still has to lose about 15 lbs (I've lost over 50 so far).

Thanks.

Thanks for your message. I hope many other readers will also ponder high frequency examples. Your construction example was perfect.

Now that I've gotten the hang of most of the other really important compound lifts, I'd like to master the art of heavy duty squatting. I'm seeking advice on the best way to aproach this as a fat and tall beginner. If possible, I'd like for you to suggest a specific routine based on my current status, routine, and goals.

I weigh about 290 pounds and I'm a classic example of an endomorph. At the gym they said my body fat ratio was 27% but it was just a three spot test and person who gave it was not very experienced. I feel like it's probably over 30%, but it's kind of hard to tell since I've lost 160 pounds over the last year and have a ton of loose skin hanging about. I'm about 6 foot 2 inches tall and I'm in pretty good health for my size. My resting heart rate is about 55 and I have normal blood pressure and metabolic stats. I'm 23 years old.

Currently I can only do about 6 bodyweight squats to parrallel or about 3 with an olympic bar. My sticking point is at the bottom of the movement when my knees are the most vulnerable and my weak glutes come into play. I sit at a desk all day at work (and at home for the most part) so my ass doesn't get much blood pumped to it. This is part of the reason why I want to master squats.

My first instinct to practice them all the time at home and work, since afterall, I don't have to be in the gym to do bodyweight squats. I also feel pretty stupid using the squat rack at the gym to bust out sloppy assed squats with an olympic bar.

But then again I don't want to overtrain the muscles. That would be counter productive if I'm not mistaken. What's the best way for me to train the basic movement and gradually build my way up to respectable weights? Would it be ok to do them throughout the day, ever day? For example, when I go to the bathroom at work I could practice a set of squats in the front of the mirror. When I'm home reading T-Nation I could take a break and do a few squats. This would be on top of my normal workouts for the week, which involve two upper body days, two lower body days, and swimming for cardio in between. On my leg days I go pretty hard on the leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, and straight legged deadlifts. However, I can still manage to do a few body weight squats in the evening.

I'd really appreciate some help figuring out the best way to handle this. Thanks!

That's a fine idea. You could either perform my 100 Reps to Bigger Muscles protocol or Perfect 10 protocol for the "beach muscles."

Great work losing 50 lbs!

I highly recommend rest-period progressions for those who seek fat loss. My Outlaw Strength and Conditioning program is a perfect example.

Or you could simply perform compound exercises for your entire body 3x/week, and slowly decrease the rest periods with each subsequent session while maintaining the load. For example, you might use 70s rest periods between a circuit like:

Squats
Pulldowns
Deads
Bench Press

Then, you'll decrease the rest period by 5s with each subsequent workout. That method works well since the cardiovascular demand becomes rather large.

Chad,

Enough already.  When the hell is your new book coming out?  I have a feeling that there's a lot you're not telling us...

Spad

You lost 160lbs?! You're my fuckin hero.

CW your ABBH program worked wonders for me. This site, and specifically your articles have helped me to gain approximately 25 lbs of lean body mass this summer! However, I'm somewhat scared i'm gonna lose all of my progress.

I begin on August 20th training for a cadet competition which will be held in middle october. The competition includes among other things standard Army PT test (2-mins of pushups, 2-mins situps, and 2 mile run) and a 6-mile ruck run with 30lbs. These two feats will be my singular focus for the tim leading up to the comeptiton. What would you recommend i do in regards to resistance training to maintain my current size (5'11'' 180 lbs, 8% bf) while still performing the endurance training?

Furthermore, what type of weight training would allow me to do the maximum amount of pushups in two minutes? I've been doing standard push-up pyramid workouts, but i have to think there is a more scientific and effective method.

Thanks for your help, and sorry about being so long winded.

CW,

Let's assume our normal workout called for 10 x 3 on incline barbell press. Would we still perform the Perfect 10 work for shoulders after the inclines or would the inclines be considered enough shoulder stimulation?

thanks

Follow my Volumes of Strength program for the squat.

Well Mister, there IS a lot I'm not telling you! Unfortunately, that's because I can't. Everything is very secretive at this point and the legal ramblings are involved. But rest assured, T-Nation will be the first to know once it's ready for purchase.

I feel your pain. I've been hearing comments since as yours for years. Unfortunately, the military mandates many CV-demanding activities that aren't great for mass-seeking trainees. But that's the way it goes.

I recommend a simple program consisting of 2 total body sessions each week. Should for 5x5, 4x6, 8x3, etc. Alternate parameters throughout the week. Stick to 5-6 compound exercises during each session, each focusing on a different body part.

Perform 4 sessions of push-ups throughout the day. Perform one set just short of failure spaced 4x throughout the day. You'll be an endurance elite in no time.

Incline presses are a huge shoulder exercise. Therefore, they should be omitted if the Perfect 10 program is followed for deltoids.

In response to your perfect 10 training article, I wanted your opinion on how to implement it to thicken up my back and bring my pulling ability up to par with pushing.

I was thinking about doing the following (while using TTT), hopefully indirectly building my arms as well:

Weeks 1-4

Day 1:
Bent over rows
Day 2:
Upright rows
Day 3:
Chins
Day 4 off
Day 5:
Pullups (palms down grip)
Day 6:
lat pulldowns, narrow supinated grip
Day 7 Off

weeks 5-9 (should I use different exercises from weeks 1-4?)

Day 1:
Upright row
Day 2:
Bent over row, palms up grip
Day 3:
lat pulldowns, narrow supinated grip
Day 4:
seated cable row (is it better to pull to the neck or bottom of the sternum?)
Day 5:
chins (supinated grip)
Day 6:
I have no clue what to do here just yet.

I apologize, as there are probably a lot of buried questions in this one.

Thanks again

When doing one of your typical full body workouts, I find that if the first exercise is for lower body, I feel practically worthless for the rest of the workout. I feel naucious, my face is ghost white....I just wonder if it's something that I'll get over while sticking to the routine for several weeks, or if I'm just not cut out for so much volume in one workout.

However, if I do upper body first, and then do lower body, I dont feel quite as bad. Im not sure if that's a good solution though, because I wouldn't want to prioritize upper body every workout.

Do my symptoms seem typical to you, for people who are just starting out with full body workouts 3x/week? (I normally stick to the ABBH type split) I suppose there's a good chance I may adapt over time, but I was so miserable thru the first week of workouts that my motivation to continue the program just about hit rock bottom.

Thanks for any input! And thanks for posting the most recent article, Perfect 10.