Waterbury PT 7/11

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
After I read your article concerning frequency, I was stoked because it was something I had been putting much thought into. I wanted to bring my chest up (or out, rather) and started to work it a few times per week. Just wanted your thoughts:

Monday: 8x3 80%
Tuesday: 100 rep/active recovery
Wednesday: 5x10 65%, Dumbell
Thursday: 100 rep
Friday: Dips 10x5 75%

I will usually throw in a speed or strength/endurance session on the weekend. Just wondering what your input would be: is this too much, could I do more, etc. Thanks[/quote]

That’s a good plan. It should work well.

[quote]Phoenix Rising wrote:
Chad,

I have two questions for you:

What do you think of using an ez curl bar for bentover rows? Any negatives?

Supported T-Bar Rows vs T-Bar Rows
Does using the supported T-Bar row dynamicaly change the exercise?
[/quote]

No problem using the EZ curl bar.

Chest supported rows decrease the amount of work that the abs/spinal erectors have to do. If you can only perform one, perform the non-supported version.

Chad do you feel it is necessary for a beginner to use lighter weights for strength gains like in the 7RM max area or could a beginner jump right into using heavier weights like the ones you prescribed in big boy basics.

Also i tried to ttt program and the volume seemed a little much so i lowered the sets to 5 on the strength days but i wasnt sure on to handle the power day could you lower the volume on that day and still see results or is 8 sets of 3 set in stone when it comes to power training.

One more quick question. instead of switching strength parameters 3 times during the week could you switch strength parameters from week to week and still see gains. an example would be one week strength one week power one week hypertrophy or some other kind of order.

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
When training for fat loss using your rep/set bible protocols should someone use 5x5 one day then say 4x6 another day then 4x8 for the third day of total body workouts or would it be wise to throw in one higher rep day in the 10-15 range.

Another question would be could someone add in prehab exercises into one of your total body routines after the workout and if so would this push the envelope of being to much volume. I trying to incorporate 10-15 mintues after the end of each of your fat loss total body workouts to fix some posture issuses and for injury prevention.

One last question for be what attributes, muscle groups, and exercises do you feel would be the most important for a baseball player. I am trying to get back into college baseball after a layoff due to injury. Natural talent was more then enough to excel in high school but now i want to take it to the next level.[/quote]

It’s better to incorporate a wider variance into each microcycle. As such, the higher rep version you mentioned would be good to alternate with 5x5 or 4x6.

Feel free to add in any prehab exercises. You can still utilize the same parameters as I described in the Set/Rep Bible.

Baseball players, like most athletes should stay away from machines, or any exercise with a fixed pattern. It’s best to choose O-lifts along with squats, benchs, rows, overhead presses, etc. Be sure to incorporate sufficient twisting exercises such as woodchops and Russian twists.

[quote]USAlx50 wrote:
I noticed a big difference from the Waterbury method the first time through. I kind of did my own higher rep (usually) program for 3 weeks after and then repeated the Waterbury method again. The second time I had zero results. I am thinking my body might have adjusted to the program but there are a lot of other variables I am trying to address also.

My question is what would you reccomend to change it up a bit now that I just completed the Waterbury method for the second time yesterday?[/quote]

That’s very odd, there must be some other variables that aren’t immediately apparent. I suggest you switch to my Hybrid Hypertrophy or TBT program for 4-6 weeks before returning to WM.

[quote]Simon Forsyth RKC wrote:
Chad,

Currently I am confined to a wheel chair or my hospital bed, I was going over some of your articles with my brother who just couldn’t get his head around some of that “science stuff” my question to you is how does one make use of muscle software to kep the body strong while not being able to walk. I have been having some success with muscle control (maxick) and have no idea when I will be able to walk again. am I going about things the right way?

Another question for you is what are your thoughts on Kettlebell training? I know kettlebell training is sometimes frowned on but I think they can be a useful tool.

Thanks in advance

Simon [/quote]

First, you should make a diligent effort to train every movable body part. You must maintain constant activity within your nervous system in hopes of some type of cross-education. This basically relates to other muscle groups maintaining strength - or minimizing strength loss - in response to nearby muscles being stimulated. But don’t go light, train your upper body as heavy as possible, and vary your parameters based on my Set/Rep Bible.

Don’t worry dude, you’ll be walking again.

Hey Chad. I was curious to find out what you think is your best pure strength program you’ve posted here on T-mag?

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
USAlx50 wrote:
I noticed a big difference from the Waterbury method the first time through. I kind of did my own higher rep (usually) program for 3 weeks after and then repeated the Waterbury method again. The second time I had zero results. I am thinking my body might have adjusted to the program but there are a lot of other variables I am trying to address also.

My question is what would you reccomend to change it up a bit now that I just completed the Waterbury method for the second time yesterday?

That’s very odd, there must be some other variables that aren’t immediately apparent. I suggest you switch to my Hybrid Hypertrophy or TBT program for 4-6 weeks before returning to WM. [/quote]

I noticed huge gains on WM then they sort of slowed down, I think the change for me was not as much the program but I am having a hard time eating enough food through out the day. This might be your problem as well. Although I think all my dress socks have shrunk, they are strangly tight on my calves now… THANKS CHAD!

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:
Hey Chad. I was curious to find out what you think is your best pure strength program you’ve posted here on T-mag?[/quote]

Strength-Focused Mesocycle.

It works!

Hi CW
I’ve got question about using wide % of 1RM during workout. In Your articles You advocate now to concentrate on one or two rep ranges during workout, for example conjugate periodisation - similar rep range during single workout (although different on each workout)
But what is wrong with using almost all rep ranges during one workout. For example low rep first to hit fast twitch fibers, later some medium rep range and high rep range at the end to hit remaining slow twitch fibers. In theory this should give strength (low reps first) and hypertrophy (all fibers are trained).
Sorry for my english
Thanks

Chad,

Thanks for all of your great articles.  I doubt that you have any idea how much they're truly appreciated here at T-Nation.  Anyway, for those of us who can only train in the mornings immediately upon awakening (I'm in public accounting and often work until 10:00 PM), what are your general recommendations on warming up (elleviating stiffness, nervous system is still aspleep etc.)?