Waterbury PT 10/17 & 10/19

[quote]Bob A wrote:
What do you generally recommend in terms of minimal parameters (e.g., training frequency and set/rep volume) for maintaining muscle mass? Are these parameters different for maintaining strength?

Thanks[/quote]

This is a tough question because it depends on many factors (training age, previous training, etc). However, I often use 6x3 or 3x8 to maintain size. For maintaining strength, 3-5x3 works well. The muscle groups should be worked 2x/week, in either case.

Chad

I’m about to start PW10, focusing on biceps and shoulders. I was curious which program you would recommend to go with it, TBT, Waterbury Method or AofW?

Thanks

Chad,

Could you use visualization as a feeder workout to promote recovery? Kinda like with the phenomena you mentioned Saturday with the finger study.

Would there be a possibility of overusing the nervous system in that way, if you were both training hard and doing too much “virtual” lifting?

Chadman

[quote]cally wrote:
Chad

I’m about to start PW10, focusing on biceps and shoulders. I was curious which program you would recommend to go with it, TBT, Waterbury Method or AofW?

Thanks[/quote]

Big Boy Basics or Strength Focused Mesocycle works well.

[quote]chadman wrote:
Chad,

Could you use visualization as a feeder workout to promote recovery? Kinda like with the phenomena you mentioned Saturday with the finger study.

Would there be a possibility of overusing the nervous system in that way, if you were both training hard and doing too much “virtual” lifting?

Chadman[/quote]

Good thinking Chadman, but I don’t think it would work. The “imagined” contractions appear to actually INCREASE neural drive; therefore, since recovery is based on rest, it probably won’t work.

Big CW,

Say you have this first time beginner client.  You'd love for him to perform DL's.  But, as is all too common, he can't do it without falling over or making his back look like the camel stretch.  His flexibility is practically non-existent and he has a weak posterior chain.  In fact he's so bad he can't even do a full DL with a broomstick.

I have my ways of dealing with this, but was wondering if you had any special tricks that might progress this client quickly to the end goal of ripping up some heavy weight.

Also, what cues do you find helpful when teaching this. I’ve sometimes found that the client can think too much about it and it will hurt his form. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
chadman wrote:
Chad,

Chadman

Good thinking Chadman, but I don’t think it would work. The “imagined” contractions appear to actually INCREASE neural drive; therefore, since recovery is based on rest, it probably won’t work. [/quote]

So the imagined contractions could be beneficial pre max effort lifts to ramp up the nervous system?

BTW, you didn’t leave the seminar driving a minivan, do you?

Hi Mr. Waterbury,

Sorry to drag you off on a completely unrelated topic, but I have been lurking around T-Nation for a few years now and have devloped a tremendous respect for what you guys have put together here.

My question is as follows:
I have a friend who trains ONLY with extremely high reps, I’m talking a range of 300 to 500 in one set! The problem is, despite these…unusual…training methods, he still gains great size and definition!

Could you please provide me with some of your scientific insight on what is causing this? I saw in an article about a year ago entitled something like ‘100 reps to bigger muscles’ and has been the only article I’ve seen on T-Nation about insanely high-rep training. Do you think this could be the increased capilaric density or something?

Thanks,
TheArrow

[quote]chadman wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:
chadman wrote:
Chad,

Chadman

Good thinking Chadman, but I don’t think it would work. The “imagined” contractions appear to actually INCREASE neural drive; therefore, since recovery is based on rest, it probably won’t work.

So the imagined contractions could be beneficial pre max effort lifts to ramp up the nervous system?

BTW, you didn’t leave the seminar driving a minivan, do you? [/quote]

Yes, visualization is a hugely powerful neural effect that many athletes use.

No, I drive a black SUV.

[quote]TheArrow wrote:
Hi Mr. Waterbury,

Sorry to drag you off on a completely unrelated topic, but I have been lurking around T-Nation for a few years now and have devloped a tremendous respect for what you guys have put together here.

My question is as follows:
I have a friend who trains ONLY with extremely high reps, I’m talking a range of 300 to 500 in one set! The problem is, despite these…unusual…training methods, he still gains great size and definition!

Could you please provide me with some of your scientific insight on what is causing this? I saw in an article about a year ago entitled something like ‘100 reps to bigger muscles’ and has been the only article I’ve seen on T-Nation about insanely high-rep training. Do you think this could be the increased capilaric density or something?

Thanks,
TheArrow[/quote]

Sure, very high rep plans will build hypertrophy. In fact, that’s one of the basis of my High Frequency articles. However, I’ll bet that his maximal strength levels are pretty low.

[quote]IHateGymMorons wrote:
Big CW,

Say you have this first time beginner client.  You'd love for him to perform DL's.  But, as is all too common, he can't do it without falling over or making his back look like the camel stretch.  His flexibility is practically non-existent and he has a weak posterior chain.  In fact he's so bad he can't even do a full DL with a broomstick.

I have my ways of dealing with this, but was wondering if you had any special tricks that might progress this client quickly to the end goal of ripping up some heavy weight.

Also, what cues do you find helpful when teaching this. I’ve sometimes found that the client can think too much about it and it will hurt his form. Let me know what you think.

Thanks![/quote]

Good question, however, the answer requires numerous pics. Basically, you need to stretch the clients entire posterior chain, along with his illiopsoas muscles. I suggest a contract/relax method.

Then, use a powerrack with the pins set just below knee level. When the form is sufficient at that level, drop the pin one place. Continue with this technique until a full ROM is achieved. A good cue for beginners is to tell them to squeeze their glutes together as they ascend, while keeping the chest high and lower back arched.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
chadman wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:
chadman wrote:
Chad,

Chadman

BTW, you didn’t leave the seminar driving a minivan, do you?

Yes, visualization is a hugely powerful neural effect that many athletes use.

No, I drive a black SUV. [/quote]

thanks Chad. I was just busting your chops about the minivan, it looked like a Chevy Trailblazer or something.

Chad,

New topic.

Any issues with amping up neural drive too high to be productive during a workout or event? I seem to recall something from my kines days in college about athletes getting overstimulated and actually lowering performance.

also, are you planning on doing any more of your personal seminars in the future?

Thanks,

Chadman

Cool tip with the glute squeeze. That oughta work! Thanks.

what is your opinion of Crossfit? Have you taken a good look at the site (crossfit.com) and the methodology behind it? Would appreciate your asessment.

Chad,

First, thanks for the amount of information you contribute to this forum. I have read and learned much from not only yourself but many of the others on this site. A few questions…

Finished up BBB and primary goal is converting this 25% BF into muscle, the overall work is going great and I made serious strength gains on BBB. Should I continue to watch the diet and follow up with ABBH? Still a “big guy” but hooked on the lifting as opposed to sheer cardio; would rather work it off with the free weights. Didn’t see much on your articles directly addressing someone back on track losing weight.

Current stats 34yrs, 257lbs, 25% BF, eating at 500-1000 below maintenance. Started working on this about 5 months ago, lost about 60lbs of fat and added 10 in muscle! Didn’t have any recovery problems doing BBB with cardio both after weight sessions and off days (as time/schedule would allow).

2nd issue - Do you plan on any distance support for potential clients? T-Nation is one huge resource and I can’t complain, was just wondering if you had in your plans any specific support. Maybe I should just hop a plane and get my ass to AZ for a week or two! At least the PT at my gym supports big lifting and has helped w/ my form on deadlifts and heavy squats.

hi chad how are things going tonight. I have a question regarding using the force velocity curve to develop a training program. After reading some of chrisitans continuum articles I was wondering if it were necessary to build every level or rep range included in the curve. For someone trying to be an athlete(baseball) would developing isometric, eccentric. concentric, explosive, and ballistic strength be necessary or would only concentric, explosive, and ballistic be of importance with little attention paid toward the others.

a second question i have is in regard to pairing opposite muscle movements. If i were to do an overhead press or dips for my vertical push movement and supersetted it with a vertical pull such as chin up or upright row that would cause me to do two exercises that cause internal rotation and some degree of scapula pronation. That would force me to do that many reps of a horizontal row to balance the damage done.

I was thinking maybe i could using pairings like this instead. Vertical Push- face pulls(causes retraction and depression cancels out elevation and pronation) then make chins and bentover rows or a stand away cable upright row where the row is done to the clavicle. Obviously chest exercises would be easier decline bench incline db row etc. could these pairings work.

One final question involving leg training. While using a two days a week training schedule is it necessary to hit both hip and quad dominant exercises in the same session. I know in your art of Waterbury you use a scenario of training four days a week alternating which between the two, but when training two days a week should both be used. Also should you stay with similiar movement patterns for those two days of training. by the way the two days of training are because of lower recovery ability(mono) and time (college). By same movement patterns i meant sticking to horizontal rowing and pressing as my upper body exercises for both training days that way each plane recieves the 50rep rule for the week (using 5x5 system)

Thanks for answering I really appreciate it and i cant wait for your book.

Chad,

You seem to be a sort-of history buff (at least that’s the conclusion I’ve drawn after reading your various book-picks).

Did you ever consider going into history or did physical enhancement always shine a little brighter for you?

Read any good fiction?

Take care,
-Nate

[quote]chadman wrote:
Chad,

New topic.

Any issues with amping up neural drive too high to be productive during a workout or event? I seem to recall something from my kines days in college about athletes getting overstimulated and actually lowering performance.

also, are you planning on doing any more of your personal seminars in the future?

Thanks,

Chadman[/quote]

Well, the issue of stimulation should be related to how many efforts are performed. For instance, you can’t overstimulate yourself for a 1RM squat; however, if you need to follow that effort with other max lifts, you might be drained.

I’ve got a California seminar in the works. I’ll post info once it’s confirmed.

[quote]dverna wrote:
what is your opinion of Crossfit? Have you taken a good look at the site (crossfit.com) and the methodology behind it? Would appreciate your asessment.[/quote]

I make it a point not to comment on other systems or programs. Sorry.