T Nation

Waterbury PT 10/10 & 10/12

Questions, questions, or questions?

Chad,

What are your thoughts on the reverse deadlift as a quad development exercise?

I am looking for something to complement my squats.

Chad, love reading all your program ideas. Question regarding your programs and I guess specifically the first ABBH since thats the one I’m starting.

Every morning when I wake up I like to do a few sets of something to wake me up and get the day goin’. Lately I’ve been doing ab and wrist work since it didn’t really fit into my training. Now that ABBH has ab stuff worked in already, I’m just wondering if you had any advice for what would be ideal a new morning routine (totally seperate whichever training regiment being followed), keeping in mind that:

-i do it 7 days a week
-can spend only about 10-15 minutes

Maybe my time would be better spent doing some stretches or GPP.

Chad,

How are you? Could you set up a full body routine with the 3 days based on the different strength methods- Max Effort (Max 3 rep), Dynamic (8x3 @ 60%) and the Repeated Method (3-4 sets of 8-12 reps)? Westside does them all in 1 day but could it be more effective to give each method it’s own day? Also, they do focus on the Bench Press and derivatives and not Vertical Pressing and Pulling exercises.

I saw where you wrote about this in one of your Top 10 tips a while back but none of your routines have exactly matched this, with Triple Total close but more endurance than hypertrophy.

Thanks Chad.

Chris

Chad,
I’m currently on the second week of your P10 chest/back program and am loving it. I am enjoying it so much I was wondering if it would be effective to repeat the P10 chest/back with the same lifts? If so should I take a week off between them?
Thanks!
RetailBoy

[quote]supaserge wrote:
Chad,

What are your thoughts on the reverse deadlift as a quad development exercise?

I am looking for something to complement my squats.[/quote]

If you’re referring to the hack squat, I think it’s an excellent exercise for quad development.

[quote]luddini wrote:
Chad, love reading all your program ideas. Question regarding your programs and I guess specifically the first ABBH since thats the one I’m starting.

Every morning when I wake up I like to do a few sets of something to wake me up and get the day goin’. Lately I’ve been doing ab and wrist work since it didn’t really fit into my training. Now that ABBH has ab stuff worked in already, I’m just wondering if you had any advice for what would be ideal a new morning routine (totally seperate whichever training regiment being followed), keeping in mind that:

-i do it 7 days a week
-can spend only about 10-15 minutes

Maybe my time would be better spent doing some stretches or GPP.[/quote]

It depends on what body parts you’re trying to most improve. If it’s say, tris and bis, then it’s fine to perform some light, high-rep work in the morning. But stretching and GPP would probably benefit you more in the long haul.

[quote]cbichsel wrote:
Chad,

How are you? Could you set up a full body routine with the 3 days based on the different strength methods- Max Effort (Max 3 rep), Dynamic (8x3 @ 60%) and the Repeated Method (3-4 sets of 8-12 reps)? Westside does them all in 1 day but could it be more effective to give each method it’s own day? Also, they do focus on the Bench Press and derivatives and not Vertical Pressing and Pulling exercises.

I saw where you wrote about this in one of your Top 10 tips a while back but none of your routines have exactly matched this, with Triple Total close but more endurance than hypertrophy.

Thanks Chad.

Chris[/quote]

I suggest you take the initial TTT plan and replace the endurance day with 3x12. That will fit your bill.

Chad,

Yes its the hack squat. I guess its also referred to as the reverse dead lift.

Thanks for the input!

Chad,

One more question.

I have been doing deadlifts recently and I find that my grip is always giving out.

Do you have any suggestions for exercises I could use to improve my grip strength? I am not sure its a question of endurance since my reps are relatively low (doing 8x3).

I have searched around the groups here, but there doesnt seem to be a consensus on whats most effective. Just wanted your opinion.

Also, given your penchant for high frequency training, I am assuming that grip strength is something I can train pretty frequently (everyday perhaps) as long as I stay relatively fresh and dont go to failure.

Thanks again. As always your advise is greatly appreciated.

hi coach,
when asked what is the best set-rep system to devolope explosive strength you said, “I think there is; the repetition guidelines I use are taken from the excellent Russian text “Managing the Training of Weightlifters.” Perform 8-12 sets of 3-4 reps at 50% of your 1RM. Rest 60s between each set and perform every repetition as quickly as possible under control, apply maximum muscular force to the load.” I thought that reps of 3-4 would at least be used with load of 80%, can you help me understand why such low loads? i know it would be fast but wouldn’t a higher load with more rest between sets help you lift the higher loads fast also? I’m a shot-discus thrower so this is very applicable to me? I am very greatfull for your time and any help you can give me! thanks, Niklas

[quote]supaserge wrote:
Chad,

One more question.

I have been doing deadlifts recently and I find that my grip is always giving out.

Do you have any suggestions for exercises I could use to improve my grip strength? I am not sure its a question of endurance since my reps are relatively low (doing 8x3).

I have searched around the groups here, but there doesnt seem to be a consensus on whats most effective. Just wanted your opinion.

Also, given your penchant for high frequency training, I am assuming that grip strength is something I can train pretty frequently (everyday perhaps) as long as I stay relatively fresh and dont go to failure.

Thanks again. As always your advise is greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Read my Old School Grip Training article from way back in 2000.

[quote]nikboa wrote:
hi coach,
when asked what is the best set-rep system to devolope explosive strength you said, “I think there is; the repetition guidelines I use are taken from the excellent Russian text “Managing the Training of Weightlifters.” Perform 8-12 sets of 3-4 reps at 50% of your 1RM. Rest 60s between each set and perform every repetition as quickly as possible under control, apply maximum muscular force to the load.” I thought that reps of 3-4 would at least be used with load of 80%, can you help me understand why such low loads? i know it would be fast but wouldn’t a higher load with more rest between sets help you lift the higher loads fast also? I’m a shot-discus thrower so this is very applicable to me? I am very greatfull for your time and any help you can give me! thanks, Niklas[/quote]

This is an issue of the Explosive Strength Deficit (ESD). When training for speed-strength, you must use a load that allows for fast muscle contractions. The reps are kept short in order to minimize fatigue. In other words, the speed of your last rep should be similar to your first.

Chad,

Do you believe it is necessary to follow a specific fat-loss routine while on a hypocaloric diet, or is any sound strength program good enough so long as the volume is kept in check? Also, whatever routine one uses, is it detrimental to simply repeat that routine month after month, just changing the exercises or set/rep schemes, or should one still switch focus from program to program?

Thanks for your help.

Chad, I haver a 2.5 part question. First I will be starting run at your workouts you have setup. By the way they are awsome and thanks for taking the time to share them. Would this be a good order to follow :

Strength Based Meso-Cycle
28 Days

The Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Program, Part I
47 Days

The Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Program, Part II
47 Days

Hybrid Hypertrophy
28 Days

Second I will be doing Sterong man exercizes on one of my off days. D you see a problem with this. And which of you programs do you feel most supports the strongman trainig?

Thanks!

Hey Coach,

I asked this before… apparently too late in the PT.

If I were doing SOB and I wanted to drop a rest day which day would you choose?

Much Thanks…

[quote]leon79 wrote:
Chad,

Do you believe it is necessary to follow a specific fat-loss routine while on a hypocaloric diet, or is any sound strength program good enough so long as the volume is kept in check? Also, whatever routine one uses, is it detrimental to simply repeat that routine month after month, just changing the exercises or set/rep schemes, or should one still switch focus from program to program?

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

Well, guess what, I just finished an article on this exact subject.

It’s detrimental to continuously repeat any routine for months at a time - regardless of the goal.

[quote]caladin wrote:
Chad, I haver a 2.5 part question. First I will be starting run at your workouts you have setup. By the way they are awsome and thanks for taking the time to share them. Would this be a good order to follow :

Strength Based Meso-Cycle
28 Days

The Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Program, Part I
47 Days

The Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Program, Part II
47 Days

Hybrid Hypertrophy
28 Days

Second I will be doing Sterong man exercizes on one of my off days. D you see a problem with this. And which of you programs do you feel most supports the strongman trainig?

Thanks!
[/quote]

If you aren’t new to training, your plan looks fine. If you’re new to training, perform ABBH I and II first. I suggest you follow ABBH II for 23 days. The rest looks good.

[quote]quan2m wrote:
Hey Coach,

I asked this before… apparently too late in the PT.

If I were doing SOB and I wanted to drop a rest day which day would you choose?

Much Thanks…[/quote]

Put an extra rest day after the workout that is most challenging to you.

Is adding resistance bands to TBT a good idea or would it create too much fatigue?