Waterbury Prime Time 9/5

I’m here for your questions. But I’ll start the issue out with loading prescriptions. I think many trainees are often confused by loading parameters. Here’s an issue that keeps resurfacing in my email interactions. The question I often get is, “When you prescribe a 8RM for the 5x5 method, does this mean that all sets should end with 3 reps in the hole?”

The answer is definitely NO. My loading prescriptions are based on a RM in a fresh state. Therefore, a 8RM prescription with 5x5 forces you at/near failure on the last set. This is due to fatigue accumulation. The 8RM is not constantly adjusted for fatigue. Got it?

Cool, let’s get started!

Hi Chad!

Im currently using your programs with great results. I have worked my way through ABBH, ABBH2, SFM and will soon start SOB.

However, my new job will make it impossible to train during weekends so i will switch to you?re programs that are 3-day/week.
In wich order should i cycle them for maximum gains in size and strength?

Oh, and i also have some trouble performing upright rows, my shoulders says “pain”.
Got any suggestions for what i could try to do them painfree and if that doesnt help, what exercises should i do instead?

[quote]jaxen wrote:
Hi Chad!

Im currently using your programs with great results. I have worked my way through ABBH, ABBH2, SFM and will soon start SOB.

However, my new job will make it impossible to train during weekends so i will switch to you?re programs that are 3-day/week.

Oh, and i also have some trouble performing upright rows, my shoulders says “pain”.
Got any suggestions for what i could try to do them painfree and if that doesnt help, what exercises should i do instead?[/quote]

I suggest you follow TBT, WM, and AofW. The TBT would be a good start since you can cater the exercises to your own needs (ie, avoid upright rowing).

I can’t give rehab advice via computer, but I recommend you experiment with different angles, hand positions, bars, dbs or bbs, etc in order to find a rowing version that doesn’t cause pain. Try shifting your torso further forward, also.

Chad, I had a question concerning fat loss and training protocols to retain LBM.

I’ve been training for about 17 years and, thus, my rep range tends to be lower. I’ve always found that while dieting a lower volume, low rep, high load training protocol works best to retain LBM.

Now, I recently took a two week break from training, as I hadn’t taken a break in a long time, and fatigue was accumulating. Anyway, I don’t usually take that long of a break, but when I trained again last week I switched to a (still) low volume, but higher rep, moderate load training. I think the combination of the break and the higher rep training–which I have not spent a lot of time in, in the last year–really kicked in some nice hypertrophy.

Now it’s back to a more strict diet. By the way, I’ve been “cutting” for about the last 10 months (with occasional breaks),as I had not trained for a couple of years and had gotten very overweight. I have managed to shed 55 Lbs. of fat–thanks, in large part, to the excellent info here at T-Nation.

My question concerns rep ranges for dieting. I’ll be using AAS (Tren, Anavar)as well as T-2 and HOT-ROX. Since I train so much of my time in the lower rep ranges (3-6 reps), do you think it might be of value to continue with my higher rep, more moderate load training during my upcoming short (5 week) cycle. Will the more moderate load allow for the retention of as much LBM. as lower rep, higher load, training?

In general, ignoring the fact that I spend most of my training time in the lower rep ranges, do you agree that low rep, high load, training helps retain LBM. more effeciently than higher rep, more moderate load, training?

Thanks,

Crowbar

[quote]crowbar524 wrote:
Chad, I had a question concerning fat loss and training protocols to retain LBM.

I’ve been training for about 17 years and, thus, my rep range tends to be lower. I’ve always found that while dieting a lower volume, low rep, high load training protocol works best to retain LBM.

Now, I recently took a two week break from training, as I hadn’t taken a break in a long time, and fatigue was accumulating. Anyway, I don’t usually take that long of a break, but when I trained again last week I switched to a (still) low volume, but higher rep, moderate load training. I think the combination of the break and the higher rep training–which I have not spent a lot of time in, in the last year–really kicked in some nice hypertrophy.

Now it’s back to a more strict diet. By the way, I’ve been “cutting” for about the last 10 months (with occasional breaks),as I had not trained for a couple of years and had gotten very overweight. I have managed to shed 55 Lbs. of fat–thanks, in large part, to the excellent info here at T-Nation.

My question concerns rep ranges for dieting. I’ll be using AAS (Tren, Anavar)as well as T-2 and HOT-ROX. Since I train so much of my time in the lower rep ranges (3-6 reps), do you think it might be of value to continue with my higher rep, more moderate load training during my upcoming short (5 week) cycle. Will the more moderate load allow for the retention of as much LBM. as lower rep, higher load, training?

In general, ignoring the fact that I spend most of my training time in the lower rep ranges, do you agree that low rep, high load, training helps retain LBM. more effeciently than higher rep, more moderate load, training?

Thanks,

Crowbar[/quote]

You’re an ideal candidate for my Triple Total Training program. It encompasses all of the elements you mentioned, and it’s great for those trying to lose fat. I suggest you follow it.

Chad,

I have a choice of staying at my current college (Old Dominion University) pursing what they have closest to kinesiology: exercise science (minor in dietetics). I’m sure varies from school to school but will this major get me far in the PT world or should I transfer to a college that has a kinesiology department? If so are there any colleges you highly recommend?

Thanks!
RetailBoy

Thanks Chad! I’ll re-read it right now.

Crowbar

Chad,

Do you feel blood flow is a limited factor in reaching optimal muscle hypertrophy in a particular muscle?

I am particularly interesting in the triceps surae. Is it possible that due to limited blood supply to lower leg is one reason why it is so difficult to achieve maximal hypertrophy in this muscle?

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
jaxen wrote:
Hi Chad!

Got any suggestions for what i could try to do them painfree and if that doesnt help, what exercises should i do instead?

I suggest you follow TBT, WM, and AofW. The TBT would be a good start since you can cater the exercises to your own needs (ie, avoid upright rowing).

I can’t give rehab advice via computer, but I recommend you experiment with different angles, hand positions, bars, dbs or bbs, etc in order to find a rowing version that doesn’t cause pain. Try shifting your torso further forward, also.
[/quote]

Thanks Chad!

I have another question too. I stumbled over Jack Reape?s article “Back off and grow” a few days ago and wonder how to use your programs with that protocol?

Lets say that i start TBT. Should i just add 10 percent to the overall volume week 3 before taking my week “off”, or could i increase the volume on all 3 weeks?

Chad -

I just came off a four week stint of CT’s OVT and just started my second run at the Waterbury Method (last time was this past Feb.)

I’ve modified the program slightly, replacing Day 1 w/ deadlift as my big compound movement and put back squats on the pull-up day, and put 4x6 pull-ups in place of the tricep pushdowns on day 2.

I was ridiculously sore after day 1, I could barely move. It was even a huge carb-up, cheat day for me. It’s two days later and I still haven’t recovered.

I’ve been doing more high rep programs recently as I only really have about a year of real training under my belt (I don’t count Men’s Health programs). Am I loading too heavy? I struggled just to do my jogging yesterday (off-day). I fought through the soreness and got in some HIIT after today’s workout, but I have a feeling I won’t be moving at all tomorrow.

I must say, coming off a high-volume program into this, I think the higher rep loading parameters helped prime my muscles. Since my last run at the Waterbury Method I’ve added 95lbs to my deadlift.

Anyways, I’ll pound those fish oil caps and do my salted baths. Any recommendations on how to operate my body would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

PS - I’m 21 and in very good to excellent physical condition.

Hey CW! I was wondering if you ever heard of of the BFS system, used for highschool atheletes from all country. If so,

1. What are your thoughts?
  2. If you could change anything about it, what would you change? E.G Periodization, training percentages, rep/set, exercise selection, and etc.

Basically its reps/scheme format is 3x3 week 1, 5x5 week 2, 5431 week 3, and 10-8-6 week four. This book is sports specific and incorporates plyometrics, sprinting, and etc.

Also, how is that periodization article coming along?

Thanks for your time.

[quote]retailboy wrote:
Chad,

I have a choice of staying at my current college (Old Dominion University) pursing what they have closest to kinesiology: exercise science (minor in dietetics). I’m sure varies from school to school but will this major get me far in the PT world or should I transfer to a college that has a kinesiology department? If so are there any colleges you highly recommend?

Thanks!
RetailBoy
[/quote]

If the Exercise Science program is sound, it’ll be great for PT. In fact, many organizations favor an ES degree over Kines.

Chad,

Recent conversations I’ve had on T-Nation have led me to these questions.

First, how useful is ABBHI for new, young trainees? I’m 17, before starting ABBHI, I had just over a month of experience under my belt, doing all the core lifts except deads. Do you think it is better to train the core lifts for some more months before going into your programs? Also, which of your programs are best for newer trainees? Those utilizing primarily core lifts only? Or are they all for advanced and beginning weightlifters alike?

Thank you.

Perfect 10 Update

Chad,

I just wanted to drop in to tell you how my Perfect 10 Training is going (is anyone else out there doing it? results?). I have two workouts left in my third week, then a week of de-loading (as perscribed).

I could only take chest/delt specialization for a week - it was too demanding (even though most of my shoulder work was laterals at different angles / planes). So, I switched from delts to biceps.

My arms have BLOWN up! I kid you not. The entire joint around my elbow and my forearms are thick. Not only have I added good size, but they look vascular and I get female co-workers who can’t help but grab them during conversation (always a good sign). My chest is looking better also, getting quite thick and “full” looking; the best it has looked.

I’ve been eating plenty (one of those cases where I’ve obviously lost bodyfat but the scale is up a few pounds), stretching, taking hot showers, getting plenty of sleep, and will start taking glucosomine/chondroitin next week (not that I need it yet, no real pain of any kind, just for security purposes and hell, if I’m building up those areas so much I might as well add some building material for the joints).

So far so good - TREMENDOUS program, the very best hypertrophy program I’ve ever done, period. Well worth my time.

I’ll update from time to time.

JamminJS

P.S. All other bodyparts are being trained on average 2 times a week (this week will be 3 times, since I de-load next week), following guidelines in the Set/Rep Bible.

[quote]BSUbird wrote:
Chad,

Do you feel blood flow is a limited factor in reaching optimal muscle hypertrophy in a particular muscle?

I am particularly interesting in the triceps surae. Is it possible that due to limited blood supply to lower leg is one reason why it is so difficult to achieve maximal hypertrophy in this muscle?

[/quote]

Wow, triceps surae, eh? That’s a term that isn’t thrown around the hypertrophy game very often. For those who are unfamiliar with this term, it relates to the gastroc lateral/medial heads, and soleus. It’s function is to stabilize the knee during the stance phase.

Do I feel like blood flow is a limiting factor? Probably, but I doubt it’s the sole factor. Insufficient nerve innervation should also be considered.

[quote]zdrax wrote:
Chad -

I just came off a four week stint of CT’s OVT and just started my second run at the Waterbury Method (last time was this past Feb.)

I’ve modified the program slightly, replacing Day 1 w/ deadlift as my big compound movement and put back squats on the pull-up day, and put 4x6 pull-ups in place of the tricep pushdowns on day 2.

I was ridiculously sore after day 1, I could barely move. It was even a huge carb-up, cheat day for me. It’s two days later and I still haven’t recovered.

I’ve been doing more high rep programs recently as I only really have about a year of real training under my belt (I don’t count Men’s Health programs). Am I loading too heavy? I struggled just to do my jogging yesterday (off-day). I fought through the soreness and got in some HIIT after today’s workout, but I have a feeling I won’t be moving at all tomorrow.

I must say, coming off a high-volume program into this, I think the higher rep loading parameters helped prime my muscles. Since my last run at the Waterbury Method I’ve added 95lbs to my deadlift.

Anyways, I’ll pound those fish oil caps and do my salted baths. Any recommendations on how to operate my body would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

PS - I’m 21 and in very good to excellent physical condition. [/quote]

Just do what you can to get the blood flowing. Try some light jogging along with very light variations of the movements that caused the most soreness.

What you mentioned isn’t uncommon. When trainees embark on the WM, they are often very sore. Just keep at it and the soreness will subside. Drink plenty of water, eat plenty of protein/carbs/healthy fats, and use those salt baths and contrast showers. You might want to try some ice massage after your next workout.

[quote]jaxen wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:
jaxen wrote:
Hi Chad!

Thanks Chad!

I have another question too. I stumbled over Jack Reape?s article “Back off and grow” a few days ago and wonder how to use your programs with that protocol?

Lets say that i start TBT. Should i just add 10 percent to the overall volume week 3 before taking my week “off”, or could i increase the volume on all 3 weeks?

[/quote]

Keep the TBT as is. It works extremely well since I’ve already built in the periodization plan.

But, feel free to back off once you finish the program.

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
Hey CW! I was wondering if you ever heard of of the BFS system, used for highschool atheletes from all country. If so,

1. What are your thoughts?
  2. If you could change anything about it, what would you change? E.G Periodization, training percentages, rep/set, exercise selection, and etc.

Basically its reps/scheme format is 3x3 week 1, 5x5 week 2, 5431 week 3, and 10-8-6 week four. This book is sports specific and incorporates plyometrics, sprinting, and etc.

Also, how is that periodization article coming along?

Thanks for your time. [/quote]

Bigger, Faster, Stronger programs have been around since the beginning of time. I’m not familiar with their latest system. Therefore, I’m not well-suited to comment on it. The parameters you mentioned look sufficient for strength increases.

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
Chad,

Recent conversations I’ve had on T-Nation have led me to these questions.

First, how useful is ABBHI for new, young trainees? I’m 17, before starting ABBHI, I had just over a month of experience under my belt, doing all the core lifts except deads. Do you think it is better to train the core lifts for some more months before going into your programs? Also, which of your programs are best for newer trainees? Those utilizing primarily core lifts only? Or are they all for advanced and beginning weightlifters alike?

Thank you.[/quote]

Honestly, none of my T-Nation programs are intended for 17 yr old people who are new to training. I suggest you focus on higher-rep schemes (4x10, 4x12, 3x15, etc) with the big, compound lifts. After a year, or so, you can start off with my ABBH or BBB programs.

[quote]JamminJS wrote:
Perfect 10 Update

Chad,

I just wanted to drop in to tell you how my Perfect 10 Training is going (is anyone else out there doing it? results?). I have two workouts left in my third week, then a week of de-loading (as perscribed).

I could only take chest/delt specialization for a week - it was too demanding (even though most of my shoulder work was laterals at different angles / planes). So, I switched from delts to biceps.

My arms have BLOWN up! I kid you not. The entire joint around my elbow and my forearms are thick. Not only have I added good size, but they look vascular and I get female co-workers who can’t help but grab them during conversation (always a good sign). My chest is looking better also, getting quite thick and “full” looking; the best it has looked.

I’ve been eating plenty (one of those cases where I’ve obviously lost bodyfat but the scale is up a few pounds), stretching, taking hot showers, getting plenty of sleep, and will start taking glucosomine/chondroitin next week (not that I need it yet, no real pain of any kind, just for security purposes and hell, if I’m building up those areas so much I might as well add some building material for the joints).

So far so good - TREMENDOUS program, the very best hypertrophy program I’ve ever done, period. Well worth my time.

I’ll update from time to time.

JamminJS

P.S. All other bodyparts are being trained on average 2 times a week (this week will be 3 times, since I de-load next week), following guidelines in the Set/Rep Bible.
[/quote]

Awesome! I hope many other trainees will see this post and give the program a try. Get ready for more high-frequency info in the future!