Waterbury Method, Squat and Bench 2x/Wk

Morning! Long story short, was out of the gym for basically three years, but had respectable numbers prior. I’m running a LP to get my numbers some what back, but I’m planning ahead. I want to give the Waterbury Method a run, but I’d also like to bench and squat 2x/week. Any recommended way to do that? I was thinking squat Monday 10x3, Friday 4x6.

Wasn’t sure how to go about bench…

[quote]KorStrength wrote:
Morning! Long story short, was out of the gym for basically three years, but had respectable numbers prior. I’m running a LP to get my numbers some what back, but I’m planning ahead. I want to give the Waterbury Method a run, but I’d also like to bench and squat 2x/week. Any recommended way to do that? I was thinking squat Monday 10x3, Friday 4x6.

[/quote]

Find a program that suits your needs/lifestyle instead of trying to force something. I’m assuming Waterbury method must not meet the desire to bench/squat 2x/week.

If you can’t find a program that does that, I’d suggest using a method based philosophy and tailor those methods to your lifestyle and training.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:

[/quote]

Find a program that suits your needs/lifestyle instead of trying to force something. I’m assuming Waterbury method must not meet the desire to bench/squat 2x/week.

If you can’t find a program that does that, I’d suggest using a method based philosophy and tailor those methods to your lifestyle and training.
[/quote]

x2

I was thinking squat Monday 10x3, Friday 4x6.[/quote]
The “friday”/day 5 session already has calves, GHR or leg curls, and lunges or step-ups. Makes more sense to squat 4x6 on Day 3, when the only other leg work is standing calves and dumbbell RDLs. Do the squats for 4x6 instead of the calves that day.

The “Day 5” workout has decline bench 4x6. If you really want to hit flat bench twice, it’d make the most sense to plug it in there.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

The “friday”/day 5 session already has calves, GHR or leg curls, and lunges or step-ups. Makes more sense to squat 4x6 on Day 3, when the only other leg work is standing calves and dumbbell RDLs. Do the squats for 4x6 instead of the calves that day.

The “Day 5” workout has decline bench 4x6. If you really want to hit flat bench twice, it’d make the most sense to plug it in there.[/quote]

hitting flat bench twice in a week is so damn hard. I don’t know how anyone stays healthy doing it.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

The “Day 5” workout has decline bench 4x6. If you really want to hit flat bench twice, it’d make the most sense to plug it in there.[/quote]
hitting flat bench twice in a week is so damn hard. I don’t know how anyone stays healthy doing it.[/quote]
It can be rough, for sure, but switching up the volume and/or intensity helps. This Waterbury routine uses 10x3 one workout and 4x6 the next, both with around 80%, so you’re not totally killing yourself every time. It also uses full body workouts each session which, once you get used to the workload and pace, seems to help overall recovery.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

hitting flat bench twice in a week is so damn hard. I don’t know how anyone stays healthy doing it.[/quote]

Where is your pain/discomfort originating from when you bench twice a week?

[quote]brady888 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t bench twice a week. I get enough pain/discomfort from once.

I’m injury prone on the bench press. I’ve had shoulder tears, pec tears, biceps pain, you name it. This is what happens when you’re over 30 and still trying to bench heavy :wink:

I have actually stayed relatively healthy on my bench press for the past 12 months, after I tore a pec November 2014. Prior to that, I was experiencing a lot of pain every time I benched. I totally revamped my bench setup/movement, and it helped tremendously. Specifically, touching lower on my sternum, arching more, getting my feet under me better, better back tightness, etc.

But even so, I strain myself, usually the pec with the previous injury, somewhat often. Maybe once every few months since the initial tear. There’s a little lump that you can see move around in my chest when I flex/move my arm in different directions.

Perhaps if I hadn’t torn up my body before I learned to bench correctly, I’d be able to handle it twice a week. Right now I try to limit my exposure to flat bench, and simply minimize the damage.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]brady888 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[/quote]

I’m injury prone on the bench press. I’ve had shoulder tears, pec tears, biceps pain, you name it. This is what happens when you’re over 30 and still trying to bench heavy :wink:

I have actually stayed relatively healthy on my bench press for the past 12 months, after I tore a pec November 2014. Prior to that, I was experiencing a lot of pain every time I benched. I totally revamped my bench setup/movement, and it helped tremendously. Specifically, touching lower on my sternum, arching more, getting my feet under me better, better back tightness, etc. But even so, I strain myself, usually the pec with the previous injury, somewhat often. Maybe once every few months since the initial tear. There’s a little lump that you can see move around in my chest when I flex/move my arm in different directions.

Perhaps if I hadn’t torn up my body before I learned to bench correctly, I’d be able to handle it twice a week. Right now I try to limit my exposure to flat bench, and simply minimize the damage.[/quote]

I see. The only experience I have of improving bench performance in someone over 30 (not calling you old, I’m just young) involves relatively low weights, so I might not have much to offer. I’m a Physical Therapy Student so I love discussing origin points of pain and improving movement.
If you don’t mind me asking, how much time do you spend on the following?
Pec Mobility and Tissue Quality
Lat Tissue Quality
Forearm mobility and Tissue Quality
Shoulder Mobility
Direct Tricep Work

Just from a movement standpoint, weighted dips with a slightly limited ROM and slow eccentric might be a good alternative to flat bench when things feel worn down.

[quote]brady888 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]brady888 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[/quote]

I have actually stayed relatively healthy on my bench press for the past 12 months, after I tore a pec November 2014. Prior to that, I was experiencing a lot of pain every time I benched. I totally revamped my bench setup/movement, and it helped tremendously. Specifically, touching lower on my sternum, arching more, getting my feet under me better, better back tightness, etc. But even so, I strain myself, usually the pec with the previous injury, somewhat often. Maybe once every few months since the initial tear. There’s a little lump that you can see move around in my chest when I flex/move my arm in different directions.

Perhaps if I hadn’t torn up my body before I learned to bench correctly, I’d be able to handle it twice a week. Right now I try to limit my exposure to flat bench, and simply minimize the damage.[/quote]

I see. The only experience I have of improving bench performance in someone over 30 (not calling you old, I’m just young) involves relatively low weights, so I might not have much to offer. I’m a Physical Therapy Student so I love discussing origin points of pain and improving movement.
Lat Tissue Quality
Shoulder Mobility
Direct Tricep Work

Just from a movement standpoint, weighted dips with a slightly limited ROM and slow eccentric might be a good alternative to flat bench when things feel worn down.
[/quote]

I agree on the dips. I often use unweighted dips to do my ‘volume’ work, rather than more bench pressing. Weighted dips are difficult to do at my gym, because of equipment placement.

I do some direct tricep work, usually a couple times a week. I also do pull ups several times a week, 50+ reps, varying grips. I do zero mobility work. I know that I would probably benefit from it, but my time is extremely limited, and that’s the sort of thing I’ve sacrificed. Any suggestions for something I could do at home in this regard? Doing mobility work at the gym probably isn’t going to happen for me until my son gets a little older and I have more time to spend at the gym.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]brady888 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]brady888 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

brady888

ARTICLESFORUMSBLOGSVIDEOSBIOTEST STORE

SEARCH
ï??

Reply to Topic
Subject:
Waterbury Method, Squat and Bench 2x/Wk

[/quote]

Lat Tissue Quality
Shoulder Mobility
Direct Tricep Work

[/quote]

I agree on the dips. I often use unweighted dips to do my ‘volume’ work, rather than more bench pressing. Weighted dips are difficult to do at my gym, because of equipment placement.

I do some direct tricep work, usually a couple times a week. I also do pull ups several times a week, 50+ reps, varying grips. I do zero mobility work. I know that I would probably benefit from it, but my time is extremely limited, and that’s the sort of thing I’ve sacrificed. Any suggestions for something I could do at home in this regard? Doing mobility work at the gym probably isn’t going to happen for me until my son gets a little older and I have more time to spend at the gym.[/quote]

Shoulder dislocates with a band are a great place to start. I also like band pull-aparts, facepulls, and other similar movements done on a daily basis in order to improve shoulder positioning.

Hanging from a pullup bar with a supinated grip for 5-10 minutes also seems to help.

I like tissue work on the neck, trap, and surrounding areas. Stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEfTDnkAcc

I have noticed that my shoulder pains have lessened from doing more grip related work. My assumption is that heaving greater control of the bar (mostly it’s alignment in comparison to my wrist and elbow) allows for a more direct line of movement which seems to allow more stability from the lats.

If you are not doing them, I would highly recommend some horizontal pulling movements. I was a pullup only guy for a while, and noticed decreased pain and greater eccentric control when benching after I added in lots of rowing motions. My rows of choice are db rows and seated cable rows with a supinated or neutral grip. I’m not that biggest fan of Barbell rows but that is probably because of my limb length and my ego.

I strayed a bit from your question, but I hope that helps.

Get his book “Muscle Revolution”.

It’s all laid out for you.