Waterbury Method Questions

Alright so I’m starting a new program and thinking of trying the Waterbury method because I’ve heard good opinions and I like having smaller rep ranges.
DAY 1

Barbell Back Squats
Sets: 10
Reps: 3
Rest: 70 seconds

A1 Dips

A2 Bent-Over Barbell or Dumbbell Rows
Sets: 4
Reps: 6
Rest: 60 seconds (between exercise pairings)

Note: A1/A2 consists of a superset pairing

B1 Skull Crushers

B2 Standing Barbell Curls
Rest: 60 seconds

Hanging Leg Raises
Rest: 60 seconds between sets

DAY 3

Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press
Rest: 60 seconds between sets

A1 Partial Dumbbell Deadlift (Romanian Deadlift)

A2 Standing Barbell Military Press
Rest: 60 seconds (between pairings)

B1 Standing Calf Raises

B2 Upright Rows

Triceps Pressdowns (or French Presses)
Rest: 60 seconds (between sets)

DAY 5

Chin-ups
Rest: 70 seconds (between sets)

A1 Decline Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press

A2 Standing Hammer Curls

B1 Seated Calf Raise

B2 Glute/Ham Raises or Leg Curls

Lunges or Step-Ups
Rest: 60 seconds (between sets)

I want to switch dips, dumbell rdl, GHR, and lunges/step ups for similar exercises. I find dips painful on the shoulders and arms, I don’t know the proper technique of rdls or lunges/step-ups. What would be possible substitutions for these exercises?

[quote]colin1168 wrote:

I want to switch dips, dumbell rdl, GHR, and lunges/step ups for similar exercises. I find dips painful on the shoulders and arms, I don’t know the proper technique of rdls or lunges/step-ups. What would be possible substitutions for these exercises?

[/quote]

I’m not sure about the dips, maybe incline bp? I’m sure someone else can answer. I think you’re right to avoid them if they hurt, I remember Eric Cressey saying some people’s shoulders just aren’t meant to do dips.

RDL’s, lunges and stepups are lifts you should really try to learn and really aren’t that difficult :slight_smile:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html

GHRs can be switched with leg curls, do you have access to that machine?

I did this program last year and really liked it. Made some nice gains with it. Good luck!

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
colin1168 wrote:

I’m not sure about the dips, maybe incline bp? I’m sure someone else can answer. I think you’re right to avoid them if they hurt, I remember Eric Cressey saying some people’s shoulders just aren’t meant to do dips.

RDL’s, lunges and stepups are lifts you should really try to learn and really aren’t that difficult :slight_smile:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html

GHRs can be switched with leg curls, do you have access to that machine?

I did this program last year and really liked it. Made some nice gains with it. Good luck!
[/quote]

According to CW, he recommends decline bench press as a replacement for dips.

I agree witl Jillybop on the ease of the other exercises. Learn them and use them.

Hey bro,

Looks pretty good. The one thing i noticed though is you do a few exercise with 10 sets of 3. Waterbury’s system relies of a total of 24 reps for each ‘muscle group’. So for Chest grouping you could go (sets/reps per set)8x3, 4x6, 8x3, 2x12.

Keep it Real

-go

[quote]According to CW, he recommends decline bench press as a replacement for dips.

I agree witl Jillybop on the ease of the other exercises. Learn them and use them.[/quote]

Yeah, do decline bench in place of dips

If you are replacing dips, don’t do the barbell decline bench. Do decline presses with dumbells, palms facing each other

another question, how should i go about adding weight to the non 10x3 exercises?

[quote]colin1168 wrote:
another question, how should i go about adding weight to the non 10x3 exercises?[/quote]

I just go by feel. If I get all my reps at one weight then I add 5lb next time.