T Nation

Waterbury Method Questions??

A couple questions for those who have used the Waterbury method (or for Chad if he reads this).

  1. How often do you change your first exercise (the 10x3 exercise).
  2. Are your following exrcises supersets or alternating exercises. I wasn’t sure if you rested between the two or after the second exercise.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

[quote]DarkHelmet wrote:
A couple questions for those who have used the Waterbury method (or for Chad if he reads this).

  1. How often do you change your first exercise (the 10x3 exercise).
  2. Are your following exrcises supersets or alternating exercises. I wasn’t sure if you rested between the two or after the second exercise.

Thanks for any help you guys can give![/quote]

  1. You don’t change the exercise, you just increase the loading by 2.5% each week.

  2. I’ve been resting 60 seconds between the two. Not sure if this is right though.

How have you done with this program?

Thanks for your response.

This has been asked before, and Chad has stated that you rest between each exercise, even if they are paired:
A1 rest A2 rest A1 rest A2 rest…

thanks

[quote]DarkHelmet wrote:
How have you done with this program?

Thanks for your response.[/quote]

Actually, I just started. I’ve only done the first workout. I have never done 10x3 before on any exercise. I don’t think I’ve ever been so sore in my life.

I don’t have a rack so I did hack squats on the first night instead of back squats. I used 225, which is a lot heavier than I’ve ever gone on the hack squat. My grip was getting close to failing near the end. My hands, forearms, and quads are sore, but the worst is my freakin’ traps. I’ve never gotten 'em that sore even doing direct work like shrugs. I love this program already.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
DarkHelmet wrote:
How have you done with this program?

Thanks for your response.

Actually, I just started. I’ve only done the first workout. I have never done 10x3 before on any exercise. I don’t think I’ve ever been so sore in my life.

I don’t have a rack so I did hack squats on the first night instead of back squats. I used 225, which is a lot heavier than I’ve ever gone on the hack squat. My grip was getting close to failing near the end. My hands, forearms, and quads are sore, but the worst is my freakin’ traps. I’ve never gotten 'em that sore even doing direct work like shrugs. I love this program already.[/quote]

SS,

I don’t have racks either. Have you been able to maintain your leg development in spite of this?

I have trouble with the squat alternatives like hack squats, I hate them but I better learn to do something soon or my legs will be left behind.

I did the back squats on Monday and today (Friday) is the first day that I can walk pain free! I did bench on Wednesday and luckily I didn’t feel miserable from that, must have calculated my 1 RM too low? although the last rep on the last set was pretty grueling. Tonight I get to do deadlifts… I feel sore just thinking about them!

[quote]basementD wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
DarkHelmet wrote:
How have you done with this program?

Thanks for your response.

Actually, I just started. I’ve only done the first workout. I have never done 10x3 before on any exercise. I don’t think I’ve ever been so sore in my life.

I don’t have a rack so I did hack squats on the first night instead of back squats. I used 225, which is a lot heavier than I’ve ever gone on the hack squat. My grip was getting close to failing near the end. My hands, forearms, and quads are sore, but the worst is my freakin’ traps. I’ve never gotten 'em that sore even doing direct work like shrugs. I love this program already.

SS,

I don’t have racks either. Have you been able to maintain your leg development in spite of this?

I have trouble with the squat alternatives like hack squats, I hate them but I better learn to do something soon or my legs will be left behind.[/quote]

basementd -

I would say that my quads are pretty decent. I do hack squats and zercher squats with a variety of stances - everything from sumo to ski squats. Once in a while I’ll also do one-legged squats with dumbbells as well.

I don’t have room for a rack in my basement. However, I just bought two sawhorses from my local Home Depot. This way I have a low to medium rack to hold the bar for zercher-style exercises, shrugs, hack squats, barbell curls, etc. Now I just need to get an adjustable bench and I can do bench press. The sawhorse holds up to 1200 lbs. The bar really doesn’t roll too much, but if it’s a worry just rig a slight lip in the front to keep it from falling.

The sawhorses were only $20 each, check 'em out.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2FsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1436242444.1106934989@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccegadddjmdjedhcgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876

Oh yeah, also wanted to say that the sawhorses fold up, so they don’t take up any room. You can store them in a corner or on a shelf and take them out when you need them.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
basementD wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
DarkHelmet wrote:
How have you done with this program?

Thanks for your response.

Actually, I just started. I’ve only done the first workout. I have never done 10x3 before on any exercise. I don’t think I’ve ever been so sore in my life.

I don’t have a rack so I did hack squats on the first night instead of back squats. I used 225, which is a lot heavier than I’ve ever gone on the hack squat. My grip was getting close to failing near the end. My hands, forearms, and quads are sore, but the worst is my freakin’ traps. I’ve never gotten 'em that sore even doing direct work like shrugs. I love this program already.

SS,

I don’t have racks either. Have you been able to maintain your leg development in spite of this?

I have trouble with the squat alternatives like hack squats, I hate them but I better learn to do something soon or my legs will be left behind.

basementd -

I would say that my quads are pretty decent. I do hack squats and zercher squats with a variety of stances - everything from sumo to ski squats. Once in a while I’ll also do one-legged squats with dumbbells as well.

I don’t have room for a rack in my basement. However, I just bought two sawhorses from my local Home Depot. This way I have a low to medium rack to hold the bar for zercher-style exercises, shrugs, hack squats, barbell curls, etc. Now I just need to get an adjustable bench and I can do bench press. The sawhorse holds up to 1200 lbs. The bar really doesn’t roll too much, but if it’s a worry just rig a slight lip in the front to keep it from falling.

The sawhorses were only $20 each, check 'em out.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2FsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1436242444.1106934989@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccegadddjmdjedhcgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876

Oh yeah, also wanted to say that the sawhorses fold up, so they don’t take up any room. You can store them in a corner or on a shelf and take them out when you need them.[/quote]

SS,

Thanks for the ideas about training without racks. I am going to get some sawhorses. I will try the zerchers, but they look painful as hell.

Well, the link isn’t working for some reason. When the page comes up just type in ‘sawhorse’ in the ‘Keyword or item #’ search box in the upper right-hand corner.

On the next page it’s the 3rd item down - Adjustable Folding Steel Sawhorse.

Sawhorses are great for bottom up squats, Dinosaur Training style…good luck!

[quote]mastemah wrote:
Sawhorses are great for bottom up squats, Dinosaur Training style…good luck![/quote]

Damn, I totally forgot about rock-bottom squats. Good call man. I’m gonna give them a try after I’m done with the WM.