T Nation

Waterbury Method Newbie?

The name is Mike…I’m new here folks.

I just started working out last week. I’m using “The Waterbury Method” as my program. Do you guys think this is a good program to use as a “somewhat” newbie? If you have tried it, would you mind telling me how it worked for you. Here are my stats:

Age: 18
Weight: 140
Height: 6’0"
Bench Press: 105
Deadlift: 115
Front Squat: 100
Pull-ups: 10

Any tips or advice would great! Thanks guys.

You can do 10 pullups? That seems like a lot compared to your barbell lifts. Have you been doing pullups before?

[quote]Mike Benfield wrote:
You can do 10 pullups? That seems like a lot compared to your barbell lifts. Have you been doing pullups before?[/quote]

Im guessing the weights are in KG

Well, I can only do one set of 10, and I have good upper body strength to begin with.

lol no, lbs

[quote]PSuns88 wrote:
The name is Mike…I’m new here folks.

I just started working out last week. I’m using “The Waterbury Method” as my program. Do you guys think this is a good program to use as a “somewhat” newbie? If you have tried it, would you mind telling me how it worked for you. Here are my stats:

Age: 18
Weight: 140
Height: 6’0"
Bench Press: 105
Deadlift: 115
Front Squat: 100
Pull-ups: 10

Any tips or advice would great! Thanks guys.

[/quote]

WM is for advanced trainees.

Start with BBB (Big Boy Basics) and then do ABBH (Anti Bodybuilding Hypertrophy). You can do a search for these using the search link at the top of this page. While you are doing those and eating like a horse (thats about 6 to 7 weeks work) buy Chad’s book from the T-Nation store, read it, devour it, understand it.

Then follow the training plans for mass/strength and eating plans in there. You follow this, you will not go wrong (and in a year’s time you will do WM as part of the book training cycles).

Good height, eat more o.O throw on some good clean muscle!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have two problems with ABBH and BBB:

BBB is a 4 day a week program, I’m looking for something that is a 3 times a week program.

ABBH I don’t like because you only doing maybe 4 moves at max, I’m looking for a full body workout.

I know these are both great programs, and I don’t doubt anyone when you say they are great. But I’m looking for something differernt. So WM is for advance lifters, what about The Art Of Waterbury? Or Hybrid Hypertrophy?

Thanks again guys.

[quote]PSuns88 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have two problems with ABBH and BBB:

BBB is a 4 day a week program, I’m looking for something that is a 3 times a week program.

ABBH I don’t like because you only doing maybe 4 moves at max, I’m looking for a full body workout.

I know these are both great programs, and I don’t doubt anyone when you say they are great. But I’m looking for something differernt. So WM is for advance lifters, what about The Art Of Waterbury? Or Hybrid Hypertrophy?

Thanks again guys. [/quote]

I am certainly with invnoone on this one. WM is and advanced program. You can adapt BBB for three days a week. By the way, ABBH is a complete body program that you do over a course of four separate days and is a newbie program.

I have to insist you start with BBB and then ABBH. It will pay off for you, believe me. HH and Art of Waterbury are definitely more advanced programs. Buy his book and follow the progression. Don’t try to do advanced programs before you are ready.

I have worked my way through the beginners programs (BBB, ABBH I & II, etc.), am finishing up Singles Club and will start AOW next week. I am glad I did it this way. You will be too.