T Nation

Water....

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Jeff Parsons wrote:
One liter of water is only half of the 8-8 oz. glasses recommended. At the very least, a person should drink 64 oz, or two nalgene sized bottles. I think the consensus is 1 gallon, or 4 nalgenes.

Jeff

According to John Berardi, the minimum amount you need per day is half your bodyweight in ounces. This is for normal functioning. Add in loss of water through sweat and exercise, and your needs increase quite a bit.

I use a 50oz bottle during work (and at home). I drink 2-3 during work hours and more throughout the day and evening from protein shakes, exercise, etc. I probably get more than I “need” but water does so many wonderful things for the body, that I don’t have a problem consuming more than what some may think is enough. And yes, I urinate quite often…usually 2-4 times per 50oz.

[/quote]

So if I weigh 215 lbs, I need to drink at least ~108 oz of water per day?

[quote]vroom wrote:
I don’t know… I’m kinda going to go contrarian on this one a bit.[/quote]

And this will be a first :slight_smile: ?

[quote]There are so many people in so many places saying we have to drink tons of water, that when we get thirsty it is too late, and so on.

Sometimes I wonder how people survived prior to the attachment of their face to a faucet. [/quote]

How about survival and more optimal health are very different things?

I like Berardi’s estimate. I’ve been known to go though a 2 liter bottle of water during a workout (e.g. leg day).

Scott,

The words “more optimal health” are very difficult to qualify.

I think some estimates of water needs are given just to be safe due to possible needs based on higher consumption of protein and so forth.

And, I agree, when working out I’ll go through a lot of water also, especially becuase I’m working up a thirst! Strange how that works… :wink:

This might have already been answered, but please help me understand whats wrong with the way water tastes.

Vroom,

Here is an oversimplistic analogy I can give you:

If your kidneys don’t work, all kinds of waste products hang around in your body and “gunk up the system” and is doesn’t function well (other bad things happen fairly soon too, but that is another story)

The more water you drink the more dilute your urine and the easier it is for your body to effectively get rid of the waste products.

It does make a difference in how I feel (even days I don’t work out), and it is probably the cheapest thing one can do to improve your health (OK buy e.g. a brita filter and change it often, so not free).

Just carry a bottle or two of water with you. If your thirsty, or just like the activity of drinking. Then drink. I dont see the need to force yourself. The idea is to ween out things like coffee, soft drinks and other crap and replace with water. Not SUPER-Maximial-extreme-hydration.

Everyone should apply their mental energy towards more productive areas. Say getting the right balance of fats?

[quote]Beatnik wrote:
Just carry a bottle or two of water with you. If your thirsty, or just like the activity of drinking. Then drink. I dont see the need to force yourself. The idea is to ween out things like coffee, soft drinks and other crap and replace with water. Not SUPER-Maximial-extreme-hydration.

Everyone should apply their mental energy towards more productive areas. Say getting the right balance of fats?[/quote]

I agree with the cutting out of coffee and soft drinks and other drinks that de-hydrate the body.

I disagree, however, with everything else. Yes, drink when you are thirsty, but rest assured, your body is far more concerned about the amount of water than the right balance of fats.

Dehydration, or under hydration, in most cases, can either make or break a workout. I consume 4-6 litres (that’s 1-1.5 gallons for the metrically challenged) every day. I have found through experience that when I have not consumed enough water (less than a litre) and go to workout, my workout suffers.

If I only drank when I was thirsty, I would certainly be under hydrated for most of my workouts. I have to force myself. I think that if you drink lots and cut back for a workout for whatever reason, that you will notice a lack of production. If you haven’t typically consumed massive quantities of water (4-6 ltrs/day), try it for a couple of weeks, you will notice a huge difference. Make sure the water is as cold as you can make it, ie, ice cold. Also, it is better to sip it, rather than chug it, perhaps a couple or three gulps at a time.

Tyler

I keep on hearing ppl’s remarks about how drinking 1 gallon of water per day is not healthy.

They say the kidneys are working unnecessarily to flush out the extra water.

How much truth is there to these statements? Can your kidneys really be “overworked” due to excess water consumption?

Can anyone offer some links to studies, etc… that prove that high amounts of water ain’t bad for you?

Just curious…

(grabs another glass of chilled water)

I think it’s FAR easier to get too little water than to get too much.

It’s weird, I am almost constantly thirsty. I drink somewhere btween a gallon and a gallon and a half or water each day. I’m almost constantly hungry, even right after stuffing myself. I don’t remember the last time that I wasn’t hungry and thirsty. I know that I need to eat more than I am, but I keep track of my water intake, and know for sure that it’s that high.

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
I think it’s FAR easier to get too little water than to get too much.[/quote]

Absolutely.

Try a straw in your nalgene. You’ll be able to finish a liter before you realize it.

I?m sticking to my opinion on this one.

I have never seen ANY medical facts to back up the myth that you need 8 glasses of water plus a day. This ranks up there with ?you can only digest 30 grams of protein per hour?.

I have seen studies showing that drinking too much water is bad for you and can even lead to death if you drink ridiculous amounts.

I believe if you go to your doctor and push him or her on why you need 8 glasses or more a day they will admit they don?t know.

[quote]Chris (NZ) wrote:
I?m sticking to my opinion on this one.

I have never seen ANY medical facts to back up the myth that you need 8 glasses of water plus a day. This ranks up there with ?you can only digest 30 grams of protein per hour?.

I have seen studies showing that drinking too much water is bad for you and can even lead to death if you drink ridiculous amounts.

I believe if you go to your doctor and push him or her on why you need 8 glasses or more a day they will admit they don?t know.
[/quote]

There’s all sorts of data showing the negative impact of dehydration. So the first goal is to not get dehydrated. Sometimes allowing yourself to get dehydrated is a lot easier than you think.

Beyond that, the benefits of getting more water are more anecdotal, but it’s not exactly mythical in proportions. There are a bunch of ways that more water can help, including flushing toxins out of your system faster, giving you healthier skin, preventing kidney stones, etc. I mean heck, we’re like 98% water, right? So you’d think it might be important.

But do what works for you. If you don’t want to drink water, then don’t.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
Jeff Parsons wrote:
One liter of water is only half of the 8-8 oz. glasses recommended. At the very least, a person should drink 64 oz, or two nalgene sized bottles. I think the consensus is 1 gallon, or 4 nalgenes.

Jeff

According to John Berardi, the minimum amount you need per day is half your bodyweight in ounces. This is for normal functioning. Add in loss of water through sweat and exercise, and your needs increase quite a bit.

I use a 50oz bottle during work (and at home). I drink 2-3 during work hours and more throughout the day and evening from protein shakes, exercise, etc. I probably get more than I “need” but water does so many wonderful things for the body, that I don’t have a problem consuming more than what some may think is enough. And yes, I urinate quite often…usually 2-4 times per 50oz.

So if I weigh 215 lbs, I need to drink at least ~108 oz of water per day?[/quote]

Yes. Does that seem like too much for you?

I’m 5’4" and about 160-160lbs. I consume more than 100 ozs while at work…sometimes as much as 180oz. Then whatever else I drink during my workout and during the rest of the evening.

The minimum I’ll drink in a day is 100oz. Get to it!

[quote]Chris (NZ) wrote:

[/quote]

You have to drink a lot of water to reach that level.

However, drinking a lot of water usually means you need more sodium and potassium in your diet. But, if you eat enough, that shouldn’t be a problem.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Chris (NZ) wrote:

However, drinking a lot of water usually means you need more sodium and potassium in your diet. But, if you eat enough, that shouldn’t be a problem.[/quote]

People have died from drinking two gallons of water in two hours under normal conditions. When I was a kid I had a salt imbalance after sweating a couple of gallons and replacing it with only water. That is a scary feeling.

[quote]larryb wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
Chris (NZ) wrote:

However, drinking a lot of water usually means you need more sodium and potassium in your diet. But, if you eat enough, that shouldn’t be a problem.

People have died from drinking two gallons of water in two hours under normal conditions. When I was a kid I had a salt imbalance after sweating a couple of gallons and replacing it with only water. That is a scary feeling.[/quote]

Hyponutremia is very rare. It usually occurs in endurance athletes and soldiers. It takes more than just drinking lots of water…but also a lack of food to replace the electrolytes. I took a class were we induced hyponutremia (water intoxication) in each other. After fasting overnite, we took in 1 liter of water every 1/2 hour for 4 hours (either by IV or drinking) while people became sick, no one died and everyone felt better almost immediately after eating.

I guess what that babble was trying to say is…drink all the water you want…the good out-weighs the bad.

Sean

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Need4Speed wrote:
I think it’s FAR easier to get too little water than to get too much.

Absolutely. [/quote]

Word.

Dude! How can you drink that much water? I always heard 8/8 oz bottles of water. That is 64 oz. Your drinking 3 50 oz? You waterholic!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Chris (NZ) wrote:

However, drinking a lot of water usually means you need more sodium and potassium in your diet. But, if you eat enough, that shouldn’t be a problem.[/quote]