Water Retention

This question is primarily out of curiousity, as I have absolutely no plan of competing in bodybuilding, but I am wondering about apparent water retention (or something weird) when I do a low-carb diet. At first, after cutting out the carbs, I seem to loose a lot of weight, which I assume is largely water. Later, after almost a full day on low carbs, or sometimes several days, it seems that my definition goes away, and my stomach sticks out, and seems to be full of water—it seems to me like the stomach’s on those starving African kids. I do drink a ton of water (more than 16 cups a day). Does anyone know what’s going on here?

More generally, if someone could explain the ins and outs of water retention, I would be interested in reading it.

Bump.

Either someone here knows what I am asking about, or my body is fucked up. Either way, I’d like to know.

[quote]floobadoo wrote:
This question is primarily out of curiousity, as I have absolutely no plan of competing in bodybuilding, but I am wondering about apparent water retention (or something weird) when I do a low-carb diet. At first, after cutting out the carbs, I seem to loose a lot of weight, which I assume is largely water. Later, after almost a full day on low carbs, or sometimes several days, it seems that my definition goes away, and my stomach sticks out, and seems to be full of water—it seems to me like the stomach’s on those starving African kids. I do drink a ton of water (more than 16 cups a day). Does anyone know what’s going on here?

More generally, if someone could explain the ins and outs of water retention, I would be interested in reading it.[/quote]

The low carb diet causes you to lose water as you thought. The reason why you look softer and fatter after a few days is because the glycogen in your muscles becomes depleted. This takes away the hardness in your physique. Your stomach probably sticks out because the lack of fiber in most low carb diets causes food to back up in your intestines and bloat you. My solution? Even when following a low carb diet have a good shot of carbs and protein after you train. This will go a long way in keeping your muscles full and hard. Also add a tbsp of unsweetened metamucil to some low carb protein powder before you go to bed and follow that with a big glass of water.

I understand what you’re talking about, I also have that same problem, some days, I’m all ripped up, the next, hardly any definition, and my stomach does stick out somewhat, but I don’t see any conection between it and the low-carb diets, seeing as how I’ve never been on a low-carb diet. Anyway, I don’t know that much about the " water-retention" thing, and would also like to know a little bit about it.

anyone else???