Water Retention on TRT

I’m a 35 year old male & had been feeling like garbage for the last 3 years. Recently went to the Doc & he discovered that I was suffering from Low T. My Total T level was at 202 & he informed me that a normal range for my age should be around 300-500. Started injections of 200mg of cyp every 2 weeks. I’m 3 shots in & feeling much better!

The only complaint that I have is the water retention that I’m experiencing. I’m fairly new to this treatment & don’t know much about it to be truthful. What would cause this & what are my options to eliminate water retention & bloated feeling. Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

Estradiol: why you should care

Advice for new guys

TRT protocol for injections

Sounds to me like you might be in need of some AI to block E2. However blood work would confirm that. How much water are you retaining?

I’m not TRT expert or even intermediate but 200 every other week doesn’t seem like the best approach. Perhaps reading some of the stickies above can help you discuss with your doctor.

Your injections are to far apart, you need to inject more frequently…

Read the protocol for injections sticky.

You need to test E2/estradiol, and learn about aromatase inhibitors

Read estradiol why it matters…

Read the advice for new guys sticky and post more info about yourself.

This happens to some and with correct doseing it very well may level off

Some split the dose to eod or twice a week to stop spikes in testosterone and this spikes in estrogen.

Was prolactin tested?

Low t is a symptom of a problem we try to find the root of the problem here.

Post all labs and info about yourself so we can help you better.

Welcome!!

corstijeir, I’m currently retaining around 5 lbs of water if I had to take a guess. Mostly in the morning is when I feel it , ( face looks a little puffy. Although, I’m about 20 lbs Overweight and this could be a factor too. I just started going back to the gym after about a two-year layoff and started to work on my diet. iw84aces, no my prolactin was not tested, this kind of concerns me after reading & trying to educate myself through the Forums that you guys suggested. My doctor just basically did the blood work because I told him how was feeling and based on the fact that my t levels were around 202, he just suggested that we start TRT, but never said anything about combining it with HCGs & Arimedex. I’m going to Have my doc check all the additional levels that he didn’t check the first time.

I don’t want to him to feel like I’m undermining him, but it’s my body and If I’m going to go through with this, I want to make sure that I’m doing it the best way possible. Thanks for all your help, I will post my results when I get the additional blood work done.

[quote]vinunez77 wrote:
I’m a 35 year old male & had been feeling like garbage for the last 3 years. Recently went to the Doc & he discovered that I was suffering from Low T. My Total T level was at 202 & he informed me that a normal range for my age should be around 300-500. Started injections of 200mg of cyp every 2 weeks. I’m 3 shots in & feeling much better!

The only complaint that I have is the water retention that I’m experiencing. I’m fairly new to this treatment & don’t know much about it to be truthful. What would cause this & what are my options to eliminate water retention & bloated feeling. Any help would be appreciated![/quote]

Many report feeling much better once starting TRT, only to decline shortly after. Estradiol will become elevated via aromatase enzyme, which occurs with the rise of T levels. You’ll need an effective aromatase inhibitor to control that or you’ll start to feel bad again.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news. I’m only trying to prepare you for the inevitable decline of the way you feel.

And you need to take control of your own health care. 300-500 for your age group is NOT correct, and 200mg every two weeks is a terrible protocol.

Since you’ve already started TRT, you’ll need hCG or your testicles will go away.

1 Like

I think you can try hidroclorotiazida

Most doctors are really bad at TRT. You need to study up in self defense. You will easily understand TRT issues more than almost all doctors.

Ask to do this:

• Self inject 50mg T twice a week, subq, not IM, with #29 1/2: 0.5ml insulin syringes.
  • Take 0.5mg anastrozole at time of injections at time of T injections
  • Optional: 250iu hCG subq EOD to preserve testes and fertility

Post all other lab work with ranges. Your health is more than T levels.

Labs:
CBC
AST/ALT
TSH
fT3
fT4 [not T3, T4 or indexes etc
fasting glucose
fasting cholesterol

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.