Water in My Townhouse

So I’m posting this on gal because I’ve noticed TNationer’s have a vast array of careers and I figured someone would have some advice/information for me.

About a month and a half ago I started noticing a faint odor of chlorine coming from my water which has gotten progressively worse since then. At this point the odor is very strong (stronger while running hot water than cold) as well as irritating to my skin/hair, and my cleaned dishes are always sticky.

I actually live in townhouse which I rent so I called the management company told them my issues and they did send someone out. However the 60yr old maintenance guyâ??s method of testing my water was to run the water in my kitchen sink, bend over and smell it. He said he didn’t smell anything and there was nothing he could do…

At this point I’m in the process of calling a couple of heating/HVAC companies to see if anyone will come out to test it, and basically am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem or knows anything about it.

Thanks Guys,
Phoenix

Edit: As I said I live in townhouse, I have city water coming from the main road…not sure if that matters.

Hmmmm really? No one has experienced this before or has any advice on the situation?

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
Hmmmm really? No one has experienced this before or has any advice on the situation?[/quote]

Do you get a water bill? I’d call whoever provides your water and see if they can test it. For me, it’s not the city. It’s a regional water company.

My friends family owns an HVAC company. They don’t test water.

This is my water company. It says on their site to contact them if you have any questions. Maybe you can do the same with your water company.

http://www.pvwc.com/water%20quality/quality.htm

Did you ask any of your neighbors if they have been smelling chlorine too?

It sounds like it has to do with the way the city is treating the water. Maybe they recently changed some process so that more chlorine is being used or it’s not being given enough time to break down before the treated water goes out.

I think you need to check with the water company.

where are you located? Just to be sure you are saying the water itself smells?

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I live in Manchester NH (city) So I called my water company ff and they sent someone out to test my water. I also had my hot water tank flushed, and suprisingly that seems to have worked as fas as the smell, irritation to the skin, and issues with sticky dishes. Not even close to sure how that helped but somehow it did.

Still havent gotten back the water test results yet but can’t imagine finding out anything suprising.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
Hey guys thanks for the advice. I live in Manchester NH (city) So I called my water company ff and they sent someone out to test my water. I also had my hot water tank flushed, and suprisingly that seems to have worked as fas as the smell, irritation to the skin, and issues with sticky dishes. Not even close to sure how that helped but somehow it did.

Still havent gotten back the water test results yet but can’t imagine finding out anything suprising. [/quote]

I work with water companies. Unusual chlorine or gassy smells are normal occurrences. It probably means they need to flush the area lines. Sometimes water needs to be flushed and refreshed depending on how the system is affected by pressure and movement. If you see a bunch of hydrants being drained by city crews you know that’s it.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

Still havent gotten back the water test results yet but can’t imagine finding out anything suprising. [/quote]

I work with water companies. Unusual chlorine or gassy smells are normal occurrences. It probably means they need to flush the area lines. Sometimes water needs to be flushed and refreshed depending on how the system is affected by pressure and movement. If you see a bunch of hydrants being drained by city crews you know that’s it.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, to be honest I don’t think that the problems are from the city because the smells/issues are much worse through hot water. So coupled with the flush of the hot water tank and the difference after that I’m under the impression that there’s an issue with the hot water tank.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
So I’m posting this on gal because I’ve noticed TNationer’s have a vast array of careers and I figured someone would have some advice/information for me.

About a month and a half ago I started noticing a faint odor of chlorine coming from my water which has gotten progressively worse since then. At this point the odor is very strong (stronger while running hot water than cold) as well as irritating to my skin/hair, and my cleaned dishes are always sticky.

I actually live in townhouse which I rent so I called the management company told them my issues and they did send someone out. However the 60yr old maintenance guyÃ?¢??s method of testing my water was to run the water in my kitchen sink, bend over and smell it. He said he didn’t smell anything and there was nothing he could do…

At this point I’m in the process of calling a couple of heating/HVAC companies to see if anyone will come out to test it, and basically am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem or knows anything about it.

Thanks Guys,
Phoenix

Edit: As I said I live in townhouse, I have city water coming from the main road…not sure if that matters.[/quote]

99% chance the city put more chlorine in to kill something nasty or had to change water source (say to surface water) and it required something to kill the organics.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

Thanks for the info, to be honest I don’t think that the problems are from the city because the smells/issues are much worse through hot water. So coupled with the flush of the hot water tank and the difference after that I’m under the impression that there’s an issue with the hot water tank.[/quote]

The gas is probabbly coming out of solution sitting in the tank and more intense.

There is nothing in the inside of a a HW tank that would generate chlorine smell.

What about the irritation to the skin and whatnot Jewbacca?

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
What about the irritation to the skin and whatnot Jewbacca?[/quote]

No one is doubting you have chlorine in your water, which does irritate your skin.

Undountedly, the city is up to something — buggies in the water, new water source, flushing pipes, etc.

Eventually, they’ll stop.

In the mean time, run the water a few minutes before you shower and use lotion.