T Nation

Water in My Ear

Damn it! I went for a swim this morning and now I’ve got water in my ear. I can’t hear a thing out of my right ear and it’s annoying. Swimmers, how do you get this to stop?

Lie on your side and put a few drops of rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide in the affected ear. Wait a minute or two and turn your head over. Use a cotton swab to clean out whatever’s still in the ear.

DO NOT try and get the water out by sticking your finger in there or anything. Let it come naturally.

ear wax candle

Get water in your other ear. Then tell your ears whichever one gets their water out first will win a prize.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
Get water in your other ear. Then tell your ears whichever one gets their water out first will win a prize. [/quote]

HAHAHHA!

I usually tilt my head to the side of the affected ear, and hop on one leg and that sorts me out.

Kudos for having the BALLS to SWIM in WATER!!

There those who are freaked out by even having to DRINK it!

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2314066&pageNo=0

On topic: You can buy little drops from your local drug store that you put in to displace the water if it doesn’t drain naturally after awhile.

Stuff like this:


Damn, hours later and my ear still feels “full.” I tried banging my head, laying on my side, finger in ear …so far nothing. I can hear a little better now though.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
Damn it! I went for a swim this morning and now I’ve got water in my ear. I can’t hear a thing out of my right ear and it’s annoying. Swimmers, how do you get this to stop?
[/quote]

Eh? Pardon?

A few months ago I had the sweet idea to use Q-tips for this. Just stick it in there and all the water will be absorbed into the Q-tip. Just be careful - obviously - not to ram it in there or do it around something that might hit your arm or whatever.

This works every time - no waiting - no homo.

I got water in my ear once while showering. But it didn’t drain out like usual and I couldn’t hear crap out of it for a few days. Ended up going to the doc and getting a big turkey baster looking thing full of water shot into it to clean out the wax buildup that the water dislodged. If it still won’t drain out it could be wax.

[quote]AndrewBolinger wrote:
A few months ago I had the sweet idea to use Q-tips for this. Just stick it in there and all the water will be absorbed into the Q-tip. Just be careful - obviously - not to ram it in there or do it around something that might hit your arm or whatever.

This works every time - no waiting - no homo.[/quote]

Had a friend who did the same thing. Gently stuck the Q-tip in there, felt fine.

He took it out and it was drenched in blood.

[quote]Shadow Hunter36 wrote:
I got water in my ear once while showering. But it didn’t drain out like usual and I couldn’t hear crap out of it for a few days. Ended up going to the doc and getting a big turkey baster looking thing full of water shot into it to clean out the wax buildup that the water dislodged. If it still won’t drain out it could be wax.[/quote]

I’d go with this, make sure they do NOT try to just scrape it out of there. One slip…

Can you tell I’ve had extensive experience with this shit?

yikes your friend must devoid of all nerves in his ear. If I did anything strange to the inside of my ear I’d feel it very fast! I’m the kind of guy that enjoys sticking things in my own ear to clean out the wax. Been doing it my whole life!

A few years ago I had this problem… Then I was at work… and for some reason my OTHER ear filled up… so I couldn’t hear ANYTHING. It was pretty bad. I bought an earwax removal kit from a pharmacy and I guess it kind of helped? Good luck. It’ll go away eventually.

Do NOOOOTTT stick a Q-tip in your ear. Worst idea possible.

I had water in my ear for like a week, one day while resting my head on my arm it came out. It was warm.

I wouldnt do anything it landed the whole cast of sienfeld in JAIL !!!

I don’t get how no one here ever sticks things in their ear! Have you actually ever stuck anything in your ear? I know for a fact the inside of my ear is nowhere near as fragile as everyone makes theirs out to be. I’d have to be a real jackass to actually damage myself. When I feel that i’ve gone as far as my ear canal will go, I stop.

Do I just have a relatively tough membrane at the end of my outer ear canal? Has anyone who is saying not to stick something in your ear actually hurt themselves at one point doing it? I can see being a little intimidated when you hear about a kid jabbing himself with a pencil in there and damaging something, but anyone with nerves and a steady hand should be perfectly capable of not damaging themselves with a dull q-tip.

[quote]AndrewBolinger wrote:
I don’t get how no one here ever sticks things in their ear! Have you actually ever stuck anything in your ear? I know for a fact the inside of my ear is nowhere near as fragile as everyone makes theirs out to be. I’d have to be a real jackass to actually damage myself. When I feel that i’ve gone as far as my ear canal will go, I stop.

Do I just have a relatively tough membrane at the end of my outer ear canal? Has anyone who is saying not to stick something in your ear actually hurt themselves at one point doing it? I can see being a little intimidated when you hear about a kid jabbing himself with a pencil in there and damaging something, but anyone with nerves and a steady hand should be perfectly capable of not damaging themselves with a dull q-tip.[/quote]

Well in your other post you say you’ve been doing it a while so I guess you’re good to go. But YES you are the exception.

I had a DOCTOR clean out my ear with an instrument and he was obviously able to see what he was doing better than I ever could. Yet when he apparently “just grazed!” something deep enough in there, it was incredibly painful.

…And I didn’t let him near my ear again.