Water Disrupting Digestion

i’ve heard this from a few sources and poliquins recent HCl supplementation suggestions have gotten me thinking.

so does drinking water while eating dilute stomach HCl levels, leading to poorer digestion?

[quote]ZedLeppelin wrote:
i’ve heard this from a few sources and poliquins recent HCl supplementation suggestions have gotten me thinking.

so does drinking water while eating dilute stomach HCl levels, leading to poorer digestion?[/quote]

Your body is quite capable of breaking down food regardless of water consumption. This sounds like the biggest attempt at majoring on the minors that I have seen. Your body is much more complex than that and there is more going on during digestion than simply breaking things down with acid. Carbohydrates begin breaking down in the mouth before they ever even reach the stomach and that same oral cavity tends to not respond well to acidity.

It’s not so much the water, but the plastic the bottle was sitting in. Certain plastics can leech some of their chemicals into the water. You can tell which by the number surrounded by the recycle triangle symbol on the bottom of the bottle. #1, and 7 are crap, #2,4, and 5 are ok to use and reuse.

And cut down on carbonated soda, as it can have the same effect.

Sometimes water tends to help in digestion, actually, like when the food is mildly dehydrated to begin with. Baked goods come first to mind, including breads. You’ll note that sometimes, water is the best cure for indigestion (hearburn, bloating, etc.)

Polinquin’s HCL ideas were discussed on another site by a gastroenterologist. He pointed out that when digesting food your body puts an amount of water in the digestive track that is far greater than any water you could actually drink. Any water you would drink would only be a small part of the total.

[quote]onewall wrote:
Polinquin’s HCL ideas were discussed on another site by a gastroenterologist. He pointed out that when digesting food your body puts an amount of water in the digestive track that is far greater than any water you could actually drink. Any water you would drink would only be a small part of the total.[/quote]

how much water is that exactly ?

thanks for clearing that up guys. i’m pretty sure i got the notion from my mothers “nutritional” sources which are all just uneducated theories.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
It’s not so much the water, but the plastic the bottle was sitting in. Certain plastics can leech some of their chemicals into the water. You can tell which by the number surrounded by the recycle triangle symbol on the bottom of the bottle. #1, and 7 are crap, #2,4, and 5 are ok to use and reuse.

And cut down on carbonated soda, as it can have the same effect.[/quote]

this is also something i’ve been very interested in. could you elaborate on that? all of my water comes from reused plastic bottles. the bottles i usually use don’t have a number in a triangle (i’m from australia, may be different standards).

thanks.
(EDIT: just found that number, its #1, so looks like i’ll be changing bottles…)

[quote]swivel wrote:
onewall wrote:
Polinquin’s HCL ideas were discussed on another site by a gastroenterologist. He pointed out that when digesting food your body puts an amount of water in the digestive track that is far greater than any water you could actually drink. Any water you would drink would only be a small part of the total.

how much water is that exactly ?

[/quote]

In a normal 24 hour period the average intestinal
tract handles approximately 9 plus liters of fluid
(2), 98% of which is re-absorbed in the colon.

These
fluids (app. 7-10 liters) are secreted by the mouth
(saliva-1500), stomach (2500), Pancreas(700), Liver
(500) as well as the small intestine (3000)itself.
Ingested fluid intake in most individuals accounts for
about 2 liters more or less(3).

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
[/quote]

The only concern is heating in plastics. Drinking cold water out of plastics is fine.

[quote]
And cut down on carbonated soda, as it can have the same effect.[/quote]

Agree. The less of this stuff the better.