T Nation

Water Cutting Before a Contest

Is it true if the day before a contest you eat foods such whoppers, chips and pretzels and don’t drink any water to look your best or are there better ways to go about things.

There are definitely better ways to go about things.

I think you’re referring to a shitload which can be effective if the timing is right. I can guarantee that if you start on Friday you’ll look like shit by show time though.

its saturday morning then a night show so if I didn’t drink water Friday and ate salty foods I wouldn’t look any better.

To water deplete this is my protocol and I’m still playing with it. I’ve gotten good results but I think I can get better.

48hrs before pre-judging I start cutting my regular water servings in half.

Within that 48hrs I hit the sauna for 5-8 minutes usually twice. Spread out.

No water starting the afternoon the day before the show.

Diuretic the night before and morning of (depends on the diuretic for your protocol)

I start my carb load when I cut water completely out.

The morning of the show I eat a ton of rice cakes and peanut butter. (STILL NO SODIUM)

I sip water due to the diuretic I use is on a loop system.

About 30-45mins before I step on stage I eat a 3 muskateers or some sort of junk candy bar.

Pump up properly and you will look full, vascular, hard…

Just remember that everybody is different. I know some people who’d look like crap if they followed my protocol, as I’d look flat if I’d follow theirs.

Imo I consume very little sodium the week before and day of the show.

DG

this sounds like a very delicate art, and pretty much a personal thing. Are you dieting prior to your final preparations or just eating clean like normal?

[quote]tnt2005 wrote:
this sounds like a very delicate art, and pretty much a personal thing. Are you dieting prior to your final preparations or just eating clean like normal?[/quote]

I generally just clean up my diet and manage my macros better…

Believe me, I don’t eat clean normally :stuck_out_tongue: I grub in the off season dood :stuck_out_tongue: lol

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
To water deplete this is my protocol and I’m still playing with it. I’ve gotten good results but I think I can get better.

Diuretic the night before and morning of (depends on the diuretic for your protocol)

The morning of the show I eat a ton of rice cakes and peanut butter. (STILL NO SODIUM)

About 30-45mins before I step on stage I eat a 3 muskateers or some sort of junk candy bar.

Just remember that everybody is different. I know some people who’d look like crap if they followed my protocol, as I’d look flat if I’d follow theirs.

DG[/quote]

Hopefully you’re already full before start your carb load…

You know you need water and sodium to replenish glycogen, right?

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

DG

Hopefully you’re already full before start your carb load…

You know you need water and sodium to replenish glycogen, right?

[/quote]

yes, but not much of either.

The water comes from the subq water that I’m holding. I also sip water once I take my diuretic. The sodium is not completely absent from my diet as my peanut butter adds a small amount. The junk food or candy bar is full of sodium and I feel that taken just prior to the stage it does well.

I don’t have it exactly down yet, I’ve done a few experiments, but I feel it works fairly well.

I know some people have figured out the sodium deplete/load but most that I’ve seen ended up failing. I tried to glycogen/sodium deplete going to a show once then carb and sodium load as I read in some stupid book. Well I ended up looking like shit. lol

DG

edit: I reread my “routine” that i posted above. It looked kind of confusing to read. lol Sorry that was the best way I could describe it.

Yeah it’s really about trial and error. Everyone is different.

I can’ tell you how many times I’ve done a shitload.