T Nation

Water Cut Before Weigh In

How much water weight can you cut for a 24 hours weight-in meet?
And what's the method? Sauna? Water load?

Thanks in advanced

A good guideline is 5-10% the higher your BF usually the more you can get away with.

You can use water/sodium loading, sauna, spitting, hot baths, etc to get the weight down.

As for the most, I’ve heard of people doing 15-30 but most people usually do no more than 10.

For a first timer i’d suggest not trying to cut more than 3-5lbs

If I may add to this so I dont have to create a 2nd thread about the same thing… say I drink a gallon of aminos when im water loading does that count towards the 2 gallons on the 1st 2 days or does it have to be pure water. Only asking because Idk if i can stomach that much plain water.

To answer the OP’s question…my friend did a water cut last year for a meet…well a half-assed one. He just gave up water and food by 6pm Thursday until weigh ins on Saturday. When he got hungry he ate a tblspoon of PB (3 total the whole time) and sipped on a monster zero for energy and lost 12 lbs. Im going to do the full week waterload and cut and sit in a sauna for a little friday since my weigh-ins are saturday

[quote]GodlyCadaver wrote:
If I may add to this so I dont have to create a 2nd thread about the same thing… say I drink a gallon of aminos when im water loading does that count towards the 2 gallons on the 1st 2 days or does it have to be pure water. Only asking because Idk if i can stomach that much plain water.

To answer the OP’s question…my friend did a water cut last year for a meet…well a half-assed one. He just gave up water and food by 6pm Thursday until weigh ins on Saturday. When he got hungry he ate a tblspoon of PB (3 total the whole time) and sipped on a monster zero for energy and lost 12 lbs. Im going to do the full week waterload and cut and sit in a sauna for a little friday since my weigh-ins are saturday[/quote]

I try to use distilled water if I can otherwise tap/spring water won’t kill you.

I don’t know about drinking the aminos it should be fine. A certain person who wrote a book about ten twenty life has a good ebook on water cutting, or you can find some Matt-Janae Kroc articles about how she cut for a few meets.

To answer the OP’s question…my friend did a water cut last year for a meet…well a half-assed one. He just gave up water and food by 6pm Thursday until weigh ins on Saturday. When he got hungry he ate a tblspoon of PB (3 total the whole time) and sipped on a monster zero for energy and lost 12 lbs. Im going to do the full week waterload and cut and sit in a sauna for a little friday since my weigh-ins are saturday[/quote]

Your friend is very stupid. You can tell him I said that. The best approaches LIMIT the amount of time spent without drinking water. Going more than 24 hours is excessive and dangerous. And he certainly shouldn’t have been drinking caffeine along with that. The prevailing ignorance in cutting water weight is astounding, given how much information is readily available online.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Your friend is very stupid. You can tell him I said that. The best approaches LIMIT the amount of time spent without drinking water. Going more than 24 hours is excessive and dangerous. And he certainly shouldn’t have been drinking caffeine along with that. The prevailing ignorance in cutting water weight is astounding, given how much information is readily available online.
[/quote]
hence why im asking…he has a masters in exercise science and all that stuff but i dont listen to what he says 90% of the time

here’s a basic synopsis of what I’ve done in the past, which limits the water-less period to about 18 hours:

carbs are slowly cycled down over the last 3-4 days with zero carbs the day prior to weigh-ins. If you?re on the upper end of the weight loss spectrum, consider zero carbs two days prior. Water intake should be at 1 gallon a day the week prior to meet week with supplemented electrolytes (calcium 1000mg, magnesium 1000mg, and potassium 100mg all taken 2 times a day). Water is ramped up by ½ gallon a day to arrive at 2-2.5 gallons a day by 2 days out from weigh ins. Sodium intake is restricted to half normal daily amount at 2 days out and zero sodium the day prior to weigh-in. Water intake stays high keeping the athelete superhydrated till we cut off water at roughly 18hrs out. Timing may vary on this within a 12-24hr range based on actual weight to be cut and how the individual has responded in past. When water is cut off you should take 1500mg vitamin C, 2g of Dandelion root, and 1-2 Coors lights (or equivalent light beer) as your last fluid intake.

If any sauna time is needed, which it shouldn?t, do it at 15min on 15min off while making sure to fully dry off immediately upon exiting sauna each time. You want to be within 2lbs of your weight class when you go to bed the night before weigh ins, and this should have you at your desired weight upon waking. If your not there before bed that night then plan on sauna before bed to get to that point, or upon waking before weigh ins.

Food intake is allowed as either 4oz chicken on 2-3 occasions or a tablespoon of unsalted almond butter (or equivalent) the day prior to weighing in. Make sure the chicken has not been soaked in a salt solution is often the case.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
here’s a basic synopsis of what I’ve done in the past, which limits the water-less period to about 18 hours:

carbs are slowly cycled down over the last 3-4 days with zero carbs the day prior to weigh-ins. If you?re on the upper end of the weight loss spectrum, consider zero carbs two days prior. Water intake should be at 1 gallon a day the week prior to meet week with supplemented electrolytes (calcium 1000mg, magnesium 1000mg, and potassium 100mg all taken 2 times a day). Water is ramped up by ½ gallon a day to arrive at 2-2.5 gallons a day by 2 days out from weigh ins. Sodium intake is restricted to half normal daily amount at 2 days out and zero sodium the day prior to weigh-in. Water intake stays high keeping the athelete superhydrated till we cut off water at roughly 18hrs out. Timing may vary on this within a 12-24hr range based on actual weight to be cut and how the individual has responded in past. When water is cut off you should take 1500mg vitamin C, 2g of Dandelion root, and 1-2 Coors lights (or equivalent light beer) as your last fluid intake.

If any sauna time is needed, which it shouldn?t, do it at 15min on 15min off while making sure to fully dry off immediately upon exiting sauna each time. You want to be within 2lbs of your weight class when you go to bed the night before weigh ins, and this should have you at your desired weight upon waking. If your not there before bed that night then plan on sauna before bed to get to that point, or upon waking before weigh ins.

Food intake is allowed as either 4oz chicken on 2-3 occasions or a tablespoon of unsalted almond butter (or equivalent) the day prior to weighing in. Make sure the chicken has not been soaked in a salt solution is often the case.[/quote]

This is awesome.

Thanks for the reply.

Right now I’m stand around 81kg
I plan in 4-7 days out do some low carbs or zero carbs go down to around 78kg
And 16 hours before weight in do some water till 74.5kg.

I plan to compete U75kg this year.

Do you think it will work ?

[quote]doom44 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it will work ? [/quote]

Probably not. Dropping 6kg is difficult at your bodyweight if all you manipulate is carbs and water. If you do everything in my post above, it’s possible, although it will likely require additional sauna time at the end. for the last kg or 2. I would plan for this.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]doom44 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it will work ? [/quote]

Probably not. Dropping 6kg is difficult at your bodyweight if all you manipulate is carbs and water. If you do everything in my post above, it’s possible, although it will likely require additional sauna time at the end. for the last kg or 2. I would plan for this.
[/quote]

Alright. I will follow what’s you post in above

I didnt read the above comments past the guy whose friend is a retard so if this has been said sorry. This is what I use and have used to succesfully cut 15lbs easily and have even followed once from 232 to 198 and compete the next day at 230 on the platform.

7 days out: All dairy products stop protein shakes ok if needed but cut them if you can. All red meat stops as well takes too long to digest do not want it sitting at all. Sodium load at least 3g. Carbs normal. Water Intake at least 1 gallon. Limit Caffeine if you can.

6 days out: Same as above water bumps to 1.5g.

5 days out: Same as above bum to 2 gallons and take Milk of magnesia before bed.

4 days out: Carbs cut to 100g water bumped to as close to 2 gallons as possible.

3 days out: Carbs Cut to 50g basically nothing but vegetables and chicken and fish at this point. Water consume as much as physically possible 2 gallons at least. Sodium cut as low as possible. Take potassium tabs before bed to keep from cramping next day.
2 days out: This day will vary depending on how close you are to weight. Basically eat some eggs and coffee in the morning and water stops 24 hours out of weigh ins. Food can be consumed if you are close enough to weight basically stand on the scale and see if you are overweight with the food in your hands donâ??t eat it. This day will vary in how aggressive you really have to be. The closer you are the easier the day obviously. You need be within a pound before you go to bed. You may need to use a sauna or make shift hot bath if still way off. As long as you are with in 10-15 pounds you may not even need the sauna and if you do should only be for a few pounds. If you are trying for even more than 15lbs you may need to use a dieuertic such as dandelion root or even lasiks depending on how heavy you really are

Day of weigh in: The second you step off the scale you need to begin drinking a fluid mixture of 1:1:1 water, Pedilyte, and Gatorade. Mix 1 scoop of waixy maze or HBCD, 5g creatine and 10g bcaa. You will need to consume roughly a gallon of this mixture for every 8lbs pounds you cut. Throughout the day focus on high carb, moderate fat, low protein meals. Close to 3x bw gram of carbs should be consumed counting the sugar in the fluid mind you. May seem somewhat high but I aim for 1000g of carbs if you include the carbs from the fluid mixture.