Watches With Heart Rate Monitors

I was wondering if those Timex watches with the heartrate monitor fonction integrated are accurate enough?

I’ve got a Timex heart rate monitor watch. It’s accurate as long as the chest strap has a good connection with my skin, which really only happens when I get sweating good and hard. (Sweat == salt water == good conductor.)

For example, if I put it on for a run, it’s useless for the first 5-10 minutes, but it works great after that.

Newer versions may or may not be better in this regard.

just to be curious what model of timex HB monitor do you have? and how much did you pay for it?

Also, at a local shop, there is a special discount on a Reebok HR monitor for 89$ do you think it worth the cost? (with the chest strap)

Just as a little aside, I have tried heartrate monitors in the past. If you wear a radio headset, it will interfere with your heartrate numbers.

Timex and especially reebok are crap. Just get a Polar watch with a chest strap. You can pick them up for around $50 for a basic one. I have never heard of a walkman or a radio messing them up. They are on a totally different frequency

[quote]fleshrave wrote:
I’ve got a Timex heart rate monitor watch. It’s accurate as long as the chest strap has a good connection with my skin, which really only happens when I get sweating good and hard. … it’s useless for the first 5-10 minutes, but it works great after that.
[/quote]
I have a Timex also. I’m hairy like a bear, so I had a hard time getting it to work. The solution is to wet yourself with water where it makes contact, and then rub it around a little to get good contact. It sounds gross in a Chris Farley way, but it works. I’m happy with the accuracy and functions of the Timex.

On another note, my chest strap broke where it goes into the transmitter after about a month of use (maybe Timex isn’t made that well after all). Does anyone know where to get a new strap? The phone number gives you an address & says to ship the whole thing pre-paid with cash to an address in Arkansas. I’m skeptical…